Where to put the footnotes

My WiP “Your One Moment” takes place around 1800 in Nova Scotia. It did pretty well in @LordIrish 's competition, and I am building it out with a lot of additional story lines.

I want to provide background/historical notes and also some indicators on what additional story lines are coming, and the question is WHERE I put those notes.

I see three options:

1. Currently, when you complete the game (or it completes you and you are dead), you see an “About this adventure” page with development notes and background information before you get to the “play again” button. Convenient, but may be annoying for folks who don’t want to get down into the weeds.

2. I could put the development notes and background information in their own .txt files and reference them with a *gosub_scene command from the Stats screen. More clicks, but the information is out of the way for folks who don’t want to be bothered with it.

3. I could put the information in the credits.txt file, which is a little sparse. But does anyone ever look at that page?

Anybody have suggestions?

It’s easiest all around to put the information in a goto on the stats screen.

I was going to suggest the same. Use *choice to break it down so that the player can choose what they want to read up on.

Putting it on the stats screen is cleaner to look at so that people who want to know that information can easily access them and for those who won’t care, they can skip it.

I agree with @FairyGodfeather.

On a completely unrelated note, since you don’t seem to have a WiP threat for this game yet, a woman would NEVER EVER admit she had a bit of a horsey face. Not to anyone, and even more so not to herself.

I just had to get that off of my chest. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m doing a historical game about the Civil War, and I just put my historical notes on the stats screen in a separate category called historical

Thank you, @Cecilia_Rosewood. In this neck of the woods people are quick to point out their own shortcomings (to get ahead of other people doing it for them), whether they believe them or not.

However, I will revisit that self-description.

Oh, @Cecilia_Rosewoood, I will be starting a WiP thread for the game fairly soon. I have some structural stuff I want to work out about where the additional story threads branch off, before I post anything for further comments.

@cottage14 Please take your time. I’m not in a hurry .