What Motivates You to keep Writing?

I’m new here and I’m curious as to what motivates all you lovely writers to keep working on your wips and works.

• Do you have any tips to share to anyone hesitant to start into this field?

• Do you have a goal in terms of what you want to do?

• What inspired you to write in the first place?

• Do you have any pet peeves when it comes to writing?

I hope to hear from all of you :smiley:

2 Likes

Worldbuild! I love worldbuilding, so writing itself is actually a motivation for me to keep writing.

• as for the goal, my long-term is to develop the potental of my story has. Or in easier term, to write more than just a book :stuck_out_tongue:

• My field of study (and other things, ofc).

Oh, and I’ve got to go. Shouldn’t keep the line waiting :roll_eyes: :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Feedback. If people like your work and let you know, it helps you keep writing. If they make constructive criticism, it also helps you write better. Someone needs to say this, I’ll be the first.

8 Likes

I’m by no means experienced in this field, but here are some things that have worked for me so far.

1. Write for yourself first. After that, find one or two people you trust to share your work with. I find that kind of feedback to be the most motivating, and hey, if it doesn’t work out, at least you’ve entertained yourself. (achtungnight beat me to it :smiley:)
  2. I’m working on my first choicescript game now. Hopefully it’ll be done sometime this century. :slight_smile:
  3. I’ve always like writing. I thought it’s what I wanted to do when I graduated high school, but life has a funny way of working out.
  4. I usually write during my commute, so being thrown around on a bus or train while trying to concentrate is my number one pet peeve.
1 Like

I’m no pro either, honestly I just started here a year-ish ago.

In my youth, I always loved writing. When I was in middle school refusing to do any homework (lol) I was writing on our really slow computer. I spent hours typing up stories (most of it was fan fiction I think) and sharing them online. That’s what got me interested in writing.

I like to listen to music, close my eyes, and visualize what’s going on in the scene and what’s not. You can just do that with a notepad and scribble down everything you see. Or a sound recorder if you don’t want to open your eyes.

The music I listen to tends to be game soundtracks. Particularly, “The Vanishing of Ethan Carter”, “Kholat”, and “WoW: Battle for Azeroth”.

I’ve been working on writing a full book lately, and I’m getting close to the end. I had to do this a few times to see the importance of one of my scenes.

1 Like

This 100%.

Feedback is SO important to the drive of a writer. Both the good and the bad (as long as it’s constructive).

if you like something tell the author and tell them why.
Likewise if you don’t like something tell the author and tell them why,

4 Likes

What motivates me is love, cheesy as it sounds. I love the stories I create, and its that love that keeps me from abandoning them and propelling me forward.

Write what you want first. Doesn’t matter if its horrible or if it never sees the light of day- just write something, anything. Editing comes later and you can only learn if you write.

But also, be prepared when you get serious about something. Rely on determination, not inspiration.

After all, inspiration has this nasty habit of only showing up when it wants to, which is usually at the worst possible times. But determination? That can get you through just about any story if you keep it and cultivate it.

Does… uh… does finish my story count? Aha, that’s really my major goal right now. Like I said, editing comes after.

I dunno if there was ever a specific thing. I’ve always kinda just loved telling stories. Heck, when I was younger I accidentally convinced my entire kindergarten class that I had ghost cousins because I always loved telling stories about my imaginary ghost cousin friends. And if it wasn’t that then it was the fairies in the garden who lived in our tulips. So when I learned that writing all this wild stuff down and keeping it around was a thing you can bet I jumped on that immediately.

Mmm… Not… really? I guess naming things. I hate naming things, or people, or places, or subjects or… anything.

I just don’t like coming up with names, aha.

5 Likes

Honesty, the only thing that motivates me to do anything is the intense need for a creative outlet. It’s either this or die.
sdfghjkl

7 Likes

To be honest, I find it really difficult to motivate myself to write, but what I enjoy about it is that it’s not a program that needs to be adhered to constantly or it breaks down. If the mood strikes me I can write more, but if I slow down my pace it’s not like previously written stuff will suffer for it. It means progress can be painfully slow, but it’s there.

In a similar vein, if I want to write but just can’t bring myself to I’ll settle for literally a sentence a day. Keeps it in the back of my head and eventually I become so frustrated with how slow I’m going that it brings out a burst of activity. It took me way longer than it should have to have enough to post as a wip, but I never thought I’d get that far in the first place, and if I forced myself to write more early in, I’d probably have burned out.

1 Like

Ooh, I see, I love all your replies!

Its given me alot of insight and hopefully soon I can maybe write stories too,

thank you all of you :slight_smile:

Funny enough, the thing that got me started in writing was peer pressure.

There was some weird trend that started in my elementary school where all of my friends started writing comics. Me being me, I joined in and decided to make a sketch-comedy sort of comic. I showed the first few pages to my friends, and they looked at me and said,

“So, what’s the story?”

Completely embarrassed, I started making more stories with a narrative. Then I went from drawing comics to writing books. And now, several years later, I’m the only one among my friends that still hasn’t put down the pen, metaphorically speaking.

So yeah. Peer pressure helped me find my favorite hobby. Yay?

1 Like