What kind of choice games do you guys like?

Yeah, sorry, your tongue-in-cheek was very clear, and the tone of my response more po-faced than intended. :slight_smile: I liked the joke and agree with your longer point.

I’ve actually been using a substantial number of *fake_choices in Mecha Ace, ever since I learned that I can use them to modify player stats.

However, I do try to make each choice offer at least two or three sentences worth of unique text. The seemingly fake “how do you feel about that” choices actually do serve the purpose of moving around the player’s personality stats, which in turn determine a player character’s perceptions.

Some of said “fake” choices also turn out to be pretty significant in the long run.

Back when I jumped on the “I hate fake choices” train, the *fake_choice command did not allow stat changes, so they seemed pointless. They were fancy *page_break commands. Now that they allow stat changes, we need a new name for the type of choice that does not alter the game but is merely there to break text. Phony Choice? Break Choice? A Kardashian?

@JimD is that only in the newest update of choicescript?

Or was that updated a while back?

You’ve been able to set stats with fake_choice for as long as I’ve been using choicescript. So about a year at least.

I suppose we should differentiate between the command *fake_choice and choices which aren’t choices at all. I’ll go with phonychoice, for a choice that doesn’t adjust any stats and has no direct impact on the game. :slight_smile:

I do actually like Nocturnal Stillness’ example. I think it’s a perfect example of a choice that doesn’t do anything but solidify your personality in your mind.

Admittedly some games would do it as:

While you are disoriented, ${friend} stomps hard on your foot, just to prove a point. "You're pretty weak and pathetic, ${name}. I don't even know why you get up in the morning."

*fake_choice
  #Ask ${himher} why ${heshe}'s doing this when you used to be friends.

#Tell ${himher} to go shove it.

#Say nothing.

${friend} punches you again.

I do hate being asked directly “How do you feel?” especially if it’s a fake choice. I’d rather be asked how I react to those feelings.

A Kardashian! lolololol

so the fake choices have no outcome?
They are just there to make you feel like there are choices?

Slammed has a lot of fake choices. I actually think it uses them effectively. I wouldn’t say that they’re unimportant. I also liked how it did they “how do you feel?” question. It did

All that you did know was that when they announced you as the winner:

*fake_choice
    #I felt angry.
    #I felt guilty.
    #I felt nothing.

I’ll say that choice is important. It’s more important than the game just telling you how you felt. It’s also letting you have a chance to create your character’s personality. And how you feel at that point can influence how you react to future choices.

*fake_choices do have their uses, but they destroy the replay value.

oh…

yeah also, haven`t we gone a little of topic on this thread, so yeah

I prefer Fantasy Adventure games and i personally think they are a little under rated and there should be more of them, kind of like most of @Endmaster 's games on chooseyourstory and choice of dragon

@Prototype
What about Way Walkers: University 1 and 2, Sabres of Infinity, and Life of a Wizard?

oh… forgot about life of wizard, never read the others

@Prototpye
Those 4 so happen to be my favorite! Probably because I’m a fantasy nerd, but still. I really recommend them, especially since you’re wanting to read more fantasy CS novels

i think i have tried sabres of infinity but never got into and quit early on but i’d try way walkers

“Phony Choice? Break Choice? A Kardashian?” @JimD whaaatt? “A Kardashian?” :-/

I like some *fake choices, @Nocturnal_Stillness explained it well.

I actually did a count of how many I had in Unnatural

Other the course of 6 episodes I used *choice 630 times and *fake_choice 96 times