What do you want more of in IF-games?

I want to be able to conquer stuff. Like, to fight in a war and seize the land.

1 Like

More alien and robot/android/holographic AI romances in sci fi games.

More games with time travel (the dream is something inspired by Doctor Who really).

Romance games with older characters (20’s to 40’s rather than teenagers more often).

Games like Love at Elevation set in a specific location or distinctive historical time period. (Romance optional)

7 Likes

I would LOVE this, but I’m not sure how it would work

1 Like

Depends on the writing but a game that allows you to have a working time machine and move between a selection of locations both historic and futuristic would be fun. With a mix of native character and fellow time travellers.

I don’t know if anyone else here has played Shadow of Memories or Shadow of Destiny on PS2 but a game like that where you are solving your own murder over and over could work (that game had some great picks for time periods depending on the chapter with a few hours or a day earlier, the 70’s/80’s, the beginning of the 20th Century in 1901 and the Renaissance era in the 1580’s).

I would love to see a game set in a school, (doesn’t matter if it’s a real school, a magical one, a space cadet school or anything of the sort) where the MC isn’t a student but a teacher.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Omg I totally forgot about that one. We could use more than one anyways😌 but respect for Stephen

2 Likes

I want more games where you can play as a supervillain. Well, where you can choose to play as a supervillain.

3 Likes

I love Vendetta so much because the choice is there in the direction you want to go. It doesn’t force you any which way.

I personally feel the Superhero Genre is a little over represented but I’m writing a fantasy story so like-- who am I to talk right? I just feel like a story where you have the choice is naturally going to have issues of breadth or depth. If you choose to be a villain, and there is hero or vigilante routes, you have to write for all of those scenarios, essentially tripling the work while half the people playing only go for one route.

I kind of like the idea of a game where you end up as a superhero, villain, or vigilante based on your own actions over the course of the game but the final choice is decided by the pathing you took leading up to that point. (Like, a ‘skill check’ where it decides) but I know for a lot of people they might not like that lol.

Response to @LiliArch :
I mean, between Freak, Vendetta, Fallen Hero, Hero Rise, etc etc, I would definitely not say its under represented lol. It isn’t that I do not like the genre. OO, I would like to see something like Fallen Hero but while playing on the hero side instead (introspective, about a character who was in retirement following a severe incident, brought out by the need to reveal something important. Could even be a hero gone vigilante who is aiming to expose corruption in the agency they were hired under or something I donno. I think a cross over between The Exile and Fallen Hero would be pretty poggo)

1 Like

Well, that is the thing, isn’t it? If one likes a genre enough, it’s very difficult to get enough of it. If one doesn’t… it can definitely get over-represented very fast.

4 Likes

Pretty much my thoughts, I’ve loved fantasy my entire life. I’ve never once gotten tired of it or been disappointed at how prevalent it is. Meanwhile, if it’s a genre I don’t like I’ll be less interested in it and probably wish that someone had posted another fantasy instead. Even if there’s already plenty of it to pick from.

Honestly, I’m not sure it’s truly possible for any genre to be overdone. They’re just too many potential stories to tell and more than enough potential readers to go around.

7 Likes

I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a super hero interactive experience - I do lament the fact that the Unmasked series was seemingly canned since that was a series exploring perspectives within a hero world outside of the hero or villain characters - the reporter, the henchmen, the love interest etc. And many games involve heroes with no powers or very specific ones due to the need to limit the stories length. I love the genre though and find myself more drawn to it typically over the fantasy and modern supernatural genres, easily the most overused.

2 Likes

I do think that the idea of playing an investigator like Santana from Vendetta could be a really cool story! A story where you are trying to unveil the corruption behind the industry but have issues due to the fact that they face protection both from the government and socially due to their status. I always feel though that it’ll probably be seen as less interesting than getting to be one of the hot shots themselves, though, but maybe not? :thinking:

1 Like

I mean, I wouldn’t mind playing an investigator either - it certainly is fun as well - but when you have a particular itch you have a particular itch, you know? And I don’t know of any game that would scratch that, so far. (I mean, when the best superhero game you know of is a LEGO one…)

1 Like

Actually I would prefer this lol I’m not really fond of superheroes/supervillains themed stories (thank you endless reprises of marvel movies for this) so I can only like them if they are tangentially related to the genre. Like Fallen Hero and WandaVision, since it’s less about the shiny heroes saving the day and more about the main characters searching for vengeance or trying to have a better life independently of the consequences. You know, this kind of thing

2 Likes

I had a WIP like that not too long ago (Where the PC’s a journalist in a superhero world). It’s definitely a fun perspective to write and opens the door to a lot of interesting dynamics with the superpowered characters. Especially with the whole “secret identity” thing, as you can essentially have two different kind of relationships with the same character, one for their civilian self, and one for their superhero self. The main difficulty I found is writing everything that happens when said supers aren’t around and keeping it interesting.

Which could probably be fixed with a more interesting premise than I one used. In short, I agree that seeing more stories like that would be fun. I’ve always thought it would be cool to read a story from the perspective of one of the more mundane people in that kind of universe.

2 Likes

If I didnt literally just release my fantasy WIP I would find it immensely tempting to actually make it myself hah! But, if nobody else touches it and you dont feel like retouching your project then who knows what could happen in a few months haha!

I personally think focusing on a civilian might be more interesting, particularly if there is a focus on the impact superheroes have on them. Like, for an Investigator or Journalist, what if they specialized in investigating Superhero related activities and were from a Small Town. What if they faced incredible pressure to sell out to the Corpos? What served as their motivations for beginning their investigations to root that out?

Response to @LiliArch :
That is fair! I mean, there is plenty of ways to take the genre a different direction! I just guess I am looking for more non conventional superhero stories myself! Since we have so many great WIPs already featuring a focus on superheros and villains themselves.

2 Likes

Coincidentally enough the PC was from a small town in that WIP… But part of my weakness was that I couldn’t write any of the office politics, which was kinda necessary for a story like that. I thought too big (focusing on grand conspiracies and all) when the premise was meant to be more restrained. So, take that advice for what it’s worth if you do try your hand at it.

What interested me at the time was the idea of having superheroes in your life that you didn’t even know about. Like I was planning to have one of the PC’s family members be a hero without them knowing at first. I think it’s a fun dynamic to explore. Although it runs the risk of changing up the story depending on what you’re going for.

2 Likes

Ehem, Before We Are Ghosts.

It’s like a baby of FH and The Grim and I and MC is literally the opposite of Sidestep from being a hero down to to being an empath instead of telepath.

2 Likes

Fair, but this isn’t “what genre is in need of more representation” thread, this is “what you want to see more” thread, yes? (And as a card-carrying nerd I have the right - nay, the obligation - to never get enough of superheroes and sci-fi.)

2 Likes