What do you feel you need to improve upon as a writer?

I totally relate to the headache of names :joy: right now I think a fair portion of my Google search history is like,
“cool female names starting with A”
“cool male names starting with A”
“cool unisex names starting with A”

4 Likes

Speaking of names, I’m working on a story set on another planet, so I can’t even use common names! And I have to name everything else too (like the planet/important countries/cities/etc). This experience has truly revealed to me how un-creative I am lol

Other than that I have a really hard time resisting the urge to “justify” what I’m writing–not writing a bunch of (probably boring) explanations for why things are the way they are in this universe, and I’m sure a least some justification has snuck into my work

2 Likes

I bet you probably know Behind the Name and Behind the Surname, but friendo, let me introduce you to Magic Baby Names.

I have an extremely extensive collection of baby name/character name sites bookmarked. I’ve even dabbled in creating name randomizers myself. All because I put a great deal of thought into character names, and can’t properly develop a character until they have just the right name. And then I have to name their entire family and hometown and whatever, and they need middle names and nick names… And it all has to fit with a certain tone or theme. So, the sites.

4 Likes

On the major level? Laziness, shortcuts. stress, and downright refusing to work for [insert excuse or thing I have to do / am doing here]. Seriously considering installing admin parental controls…to use against myself.

On the technical level? Enjoying my love for frilly prose and obtuse dialogues without getting eye-rollingly melodramatic.

1 Like

Pretty much everything. I’m not a great writer and despite my ego, at times I can admit I’m at the beginning level of writing. But Besides that, I would say names and in general appearances and personality, usual I plan out everything in my head but sometimes when I’m writing I find out that words or how a character interact won’t really work well, it’s a pretty normal situation for me.

Have you tried StayFocusd? It’s a productivity browser plugin. Saved my bacon a few times.

2 Likes

I’m too wordy; I over explain things better left hinted at; I’m not particularly interested in my prose being flowery, no desire to make someone say, “Wow that boy can sure turn a phrase!” but even with that being said, my prose is too stilted; I could be better at getting across the character’s personalities through dialogue.

2 Likes

Vocabulary, procrastinating, 0 confidence in my work but still hoping that it’s good.

1 Like

Im with you on “actually writing” thats my biggest problem followed up with vocabulary… :frowning:

2 Likes

The extension was incompatible with my browser but I found one called Leechblock that has been really helpful :slight_smile: blocking youtube alone sends me into a spiral questioning my life and productivity choices

My jealous gf: actually working on my game
The girl who caught my eye: 100 episodes of gmod prop hunt

1 Like