Transgender Assistance

Deleted.

2 Likes

I’m starting to really dig it here. It just gets more and more interesting. Anyways, are you asking how to portray this character respectfully and accurately? Also unrelated but what do you think the age requirement should be on current day full trans operations irl?

That and I want to make sure I accurately portray the more negative societal aspects (hateful people, depression, suicidal thoughts/ideation/intent, etc.) without being a callous person. Seeing as I have never experienced the issues, I want to make sure certain things I plan on writing/saying don’t come off as rude, patronising, or as a caricature of a transperson.

I will defer to modern-day doctors and scientists. My personal opinions do not matter. These operations do not affect me, so who am I to say anything about something peaceful that makes another person happy?

TO imitate a ‘bust’ with the least amount of effort is a simple corset. Long story short creating cleavage by pressing pecs together and narrowing the waist creating the proper lines. Banding ei) using bandages or straps one can do the same thing. Though those that cross dress in either direction are widely varried in preference and method. So some may use breast-forms basically fake breasts either inserted into a bra or attached with adhesives.

As for the nethers a ‘gaff’ is what you’re going to look for or something that works in a very similar way. A gaf is basically underwear designed to help tuck ones bulge between their legs and there are strings one can tighten them in and prevent any embarrassing moments.

Passing for female is passible with subtly too, the right walk and a slight build are helpful. Body language are more effective than most outfits. aside fromthe mentioned methods there are also hormone treatments, dangerous without doctor supervision but take them long enough and excess estrogen can cause a male to develop female characteristics.

Or there are also conditions that if not treated cause young men not to develop proplerly (see low T or Hypogonadism… funny name real condition) hormones have massive effects on a person physically and mentally. While this is involuntary and doesn’t necessarily lead to the male-to-female aim you’re looking for, although some prefer to live in limbo taking hormone suppliments I’ve learned more than a few things on the subject, I let you wonder why on your own it’d make it easier to pass. But suing this method you should do your research on the medical implactions ect…

hope this helps a little.

2 Likes

depends on your build sweetness.

2 Likes

you totally lost me at the part of male-to-female transgender.

care to clarify?

Um…

A male to female transgender person, or trans woman, is a person who was born male but whose gender identity conforms more closely to that of a woman’s than a man’s – or a person who suffers from gender dysphoria.

In modern days, these women can take estrogen, have surgery, etc. to make them look on the outside as they feel on the inside (aside from certain things, such as menstruation).

I…I assume that’s what you’re asking?

1 Like

Transgender woman
People who were assigned male at birth but identify and live as a woman may use this term to describe themselves. They may shorten to trans woman. (Note: trans woman, not “transwoman.”) Some may also use MTF, an abbreviation for male-to-female. Some may prefer to simply be called women, without any modifier. It is best to ask which term an individual prefers.

@ashestoashes018 I’d suggest having a look over Transgender People | GLAAD While I understand that you mean well, there’s some issues with your phrasing.

For instance you use LGBT in the topic of this thread, when you really just mean you’re looking for help with a transgender (specifically a trans woman) character.

Use transgender person, not transgender as a noun. Some people dislike the use of “biologically” and prefer “assigned at birth”. Not all trans people have gender dysphoria, nor do they all feel like women trapped in men’s bodies.

And they’re not men. So it would be “these women can…”

I’d also start doing your own research using google.

7 Likes

I just used phrasing I’ve seen transgender people use. My apologies–and I have done research, most of the help I need is already being covered by a few people that have PM’d me. It’s specific to the character’s history and interactions when speaking on this history. Not as much about the other things, which I just wanted to run by someone for realism. I’m quite aware of how modern-day binding and such is done. It was more of a double-checking for specific instances of what I plan to say, than anything else.

And I suppose I can change the title of the topic. My apologies on that front, as well.

And the phrasing should have been “these women can…”, you’re right. I’ll edit that.

However, I’m quite curious how trans people wouldn’t have gender dysphoria, since that’s just the psychological disorder associated with transgender people. I’ll have to do more research into that so as not to offend anyone.

3 Likes

No problem. We all stumble upon phrasing. I’m also glad you’ve got people messaging you to help out.

It’s okay, plenty of people use the catch all LGBT term when they’re just meaning one specific part. It’s a personal pet peeve of mine, admittedly.

I think googling “transgender without gender dysphoria” should pull up some results. It’s something I’ve been trying to learn about myself, since it seemed jarring when I first heard it.

1 Like

I actually looked it up as soon as you mentioned it in your first post, and I totally understand better now! I had honestly never considered that.

From what I had been taught in my psychology courses, gender dysphoria = problems with your gender, as a whole, rather than SPECIFICALLY feeling negatively about the gender you were assigned at birth.

Thanks so much for introducing me to that idea. It actually kind of reminds me of when I was like 10 years old and thought “it must be so awesome to be a boy!”; IE I had no problems being female and felt perfectly comfortable AS a female, but felt that life could have been improved by being male.

That isn’t to trivialize transgender people’s experiences–I guess, for me, even though that likely isn’t REMOTELY what transgender people experience, it helps me understand just that little bit better?

idk, i suffer from terrible foot-in-mouth.

3 Likes

First of all, this is a tricky subject; not every (transgender) person feels the same.

From their day-to-day, to how they feel about themselves (here I mean mostly the “you-can’t-be-trans-if-you-don’t-have-gender-dysphoria” to the "you-can-be-trans-and-not-have-gender-dysphoria), there are a lot of outcomes.

Does Leona have top or bottom dysphoria? Maybe both? Is she going through social/legal transition (because as you mentioned before, the medical one isn’t currently possible?)? There are a lot of things that can shape her personality, because maybe she’s fine with just social transition and that’s it, but only you know.

I can try to explain to you a bit better what it’s like to have dysphoria, but how I feel may be vastly different from what others feel, 'cause as I said, not everyone experiences the same :smile:

4 Likes

There are naturally occurring sources of estrogen, which are used in traditional medicine to treat menopause. If your world had more concentrated forms of these, hormone therapy would be possible. Hormone therapy can provide more than you may think in terms of a womanly figure and feminine characteristics.

5 Likes

I certainly trust the lived experiences of trans people who do not experience dysphoria, but statistically speaking, some level of dysphoria is common. Gender dysphoria is also not a blanket thing. Some people struggle more with the physical aspects, and some struggle more with the social aspects. For example, there are trans people who have no desire to have surgery, or even hormone replacement therapy. Their only concern is to live and be recognized as their preferred gender. Having a penis or vagina means little to them, but being misgendered is crushing. Alternately, some people will do absolutely everything within their power to modify their bodies to match what they feel inside. In a world with limited options, a transwoman with a lot of body dysphoria might do something extreme like seek castration, feeling that that is the best option available to someone like her.

If we’re going to be grimly realistic, a lot of transgender people deal with severe depression/anxiety/suicidal ideation. Social support/acceptance is the best way to combat that. Transgender people are also at a very high risk of being physically or sexually victimized. Transwomen can have a lot of difficulty with employment depending on where they live, and as a result may resort to prostitution to survive, which unfortunately greatly increases their risk of being victimized. While “passing” can be a contentious subject, the ability to present their preferred gender perfectly can literally be a matter of life or death for a transgender person.

Now, you said that in the world you’ve built, it isn’t normally an issue, but that her family was not supportive? To me that says that there is a portion of the culture which is not okay with it. It’s not unheard of for a culture to be accepting of transpeople on the surface, but then when you take a closer look at those cultures, you see that transwomen are seen as novelties, are eroticized, or have some kind of predesignated cultural role placed on them simply because they wish to live their life as a woman. There are also deeply homophobic cultures who push sex changes on gay people, so as a result, honestly transgender people are lumped in with gay people and may be treated as though they are sick or potentially sexually deviant. On that note, there is a big difference between tolerance and acceptance. A tolerant society might be inclined to feel sympathy for transpeople, but are still under the impression that they are mentally ill. An accepting society understands that simply being transgendered does not make them mentally ill, but it can put them at higher risk of mental illness (depression/anxiety) as they try to cope with their situation.

7 Likes

Thank you so much! That is a view I hadn’t considered, though I’d already planned to address depression, anxiety, usw.

The culture of the country she’s in accepts it, but not the country she is from.

Also, re: homeopathic treatments: I had read a little bit about that and will have to read more into it. That sounds like a very realistic solution to at least a bit of Leona’s conundrum! Thank you! :slight_smile:

Ah ha. I see. So, while she may currently be in a much more accepting culture, she grew up in one that caused her to be guarded or mistrustful? That would make a lot of sense. If you’ve lived under some kind of threat for many years, it is extremely difficult to unlearn your survival/coping mechanisms from that time. Especially if that’s what someone was dealing with throughout their formative years. Depending on how bad her home country was, you might want to do some research on hypervigilance, at the very least.

1 Like

I am male and as a child I often thought “It must be great to be a girl”. I had no problems being male and felt comfortable as a male, but I felt that life would be improved by being female.

I’m sorry about my past message. I am supportive of the GLBTQ comminity. I feal like be whatever you are, and be with whoever you are into, and be cool with us cisgender/hetrosexuals. I have gay friends and they’re good people. I even had a transwoman co-worker and she was a good friend of mine at the time.

She was from America, and was like around my age.