Toying With WW2 Era Ideas

Dutch Chocolate vs Milk Chocolate

Let the Candy Wars begin!

3 Likes

Thanks Red! I do get the impression currently that more people are interested in the Paris Resistance idea than the POW Camp one since as you say you would have more flexibility in locales to include. I definitely feel like I want to have a blowing up a train mission, but also more subtle stuff like infiltration into enemy forces. For example, if you develop a friendship/romance with a German character, maybe you allies in the Resistance could see you taking advantage of it? So stuff like that.

It would be a question with the POW camp idea whether I either simply say ‘this is a AU WW2 where there are men and women fighting together in all aspect of the war’ and let the player pick from a number of possible roles to figure out their stats, or opt for gender specific roles with something more historic, minus the idea of men and women possibly being in a shared camp. But you’re right about the USSR’s female snipers, they have very interesting histories really. I could also pick the Broadsides route, I guess. Maybe I should put it to a vote after I do more research.

And no, it wouldn’t be Allo Allo style comedy, even if subtle influences like names for achievements or character types such as the waitress, the (actually) french policeman and the Gestapo operative appeared. I suppose one option if I moved it away from a specific locale like Paris to a more village like setting is letting players pick where it is in Europe, which would allow for more options than just French Resistance. But it also would make some writing more general and also complex from changing all the core names and locales to suit the area. :thinking:

1 Like

Well I like the POW camp more then the resistance, again unless you’re going for comedy, which you aren’t, in that case both would be fine.
I feel like French resistance is the most overdone WW2 theme. Still if you’re a good enough writer you can make literally anything work.

1 Like

Personally I think the most overdone WW2 theme is probably the ‘Band of Brothers’ style story with the USA troops after Normandy liberating Europe, but that’s just me, and personally I think the French Resistance make a more compelling story. To be fair I did also suggest the Battle of Britain, so it’s probably a sense of patriotism and living in Europe which makes me prefer that over another US soldier style tale. Though the Americans would likely appear in both games in some regard anyway, so… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

British themed WW2 settings also aren’t that uncommon, why not go with Canada or Australia? Those two I don’t see too often, except as background characters in some of the other games/books/tv-shows or movies. :wink:

Given the war never quite impacted those countries physically I’m not sure how outside offering the option of being Canadian or Australian in the POW Camp idea I could go.

Indeed French resistance theme has been widely covered in literature and cinematography but the same can be said about POW camps as well. I would personally like a resistance game more.

POW camps are too sorrowful, especially if you are considering adding all kinds of tortures. Regarding female characters in POW camps, unfortunately the war does not differ between men and women in terms of cruelty and suffering it brings… So I guess this game would be mostly depressive unless having an option of playing a character, similar to an Italian man from “La vita è bella”, whose imagination and optimistic way of seeing things saved the life of his son.

Contrary, French resistance game may be much more flexible. I believe it is possible to allow player to choose the nationality for his or her character too, since soldiers and spies from all major allied countries were working and fighting in France on the side of resistance. This topic also opens various touching romance storylines. Such movies as “Casablanca” (1942) and “Allied” (2016) could be the source of inspiration.

1 Like

Did any one of you played Call of Duty WWII latest game?

Why not set it in the much sunnier French North-African colonies then? Paris is probably the most overdone setting of the French resistance already.

5 Likes

Or possibly Soviet partisans? Very rarely have I seen a game or book about them.

3 Likes