Total Customization

How much customization is too much customization? Or do you not believe in it? Do you just like it if it matters in the future? Like somewhere down the line, your eye color suddenly comes up or do you like it period point blank, whether or not it effects the story.

When I ask this, I’m not just talking about your MC look, I am also talking about your family. Do you like to customize their names as well, especially if they aren’t minor characters. And if so, do you wish you could customize them even more? And have you ever wished that races (human wise) to be added? Like the question of which race are you? Caucasian, African American, Pacific Islander, Indian, Native American, and so on? Or is just choosing your skin color enough?

I’m just curious is all since I was thinking about Dragon Age and then for some reason, the Sims lol.

11 Likes

Alot a people like full customization.
but for the ones that don’t i just add a quick start option that lets them skip it and pick a premade character. You are probably going to far for even alot of people who like full customization when you allow customization of their family so if that is really something you wish to add you might want to make it optional.
It will proabably be a pain and time consuming as well to complete all of it so i would think about that as well before you decide to do something as lengthly as that.
Hope this helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Customization will gone cool if ppl (either Pc or npc) bring the topic up.
You look beautiful with long, braided, straight hair!
I love your pink iris and square pupil
I like your mammoth-leather loincloth :heart:

TL;DR : if it matters, then it’s good

It’s as important as you the author wants it to be. Sometimes the little details bring certain moments to life other time it slows you down.

5 Likes

I don’t care their names race or whatever. What I want to customize is my reactions to them and my relationship with them. Names and races are stuff I could easily head canon. Not with relationships. I prefer rp with broken families with bad relationships if you are saying each five seconds how much I love daddy. And how I do all for save him You have killed half of rp options. So just options to say I want to be rich and this guy could go kiss my dragon ass.

In your game is evwn worse because they are ASSHOLES MENACING SLAVE MY DRAGON AND KICK ME OUT… No option to say See this evil dragon… Well SAY SOMETHING LIKE THAT AGAIN AND YOU WILL NOTICE SEVERAL LESS LIMBS IN YOUR BODY…

1 Like

I think customization is important to an extent.
But then you have to think about how much is made by the author and how much is made by the player. As the author do you feel that the player want to make such decisions; should the player control a lot of the details? Or do you want the player to experience a story?

1 Like

Too much customization is a hindrance in my opinion. From the few times I’ve seen it implemented in a CS game, it’s usually a very shallow feature. Often times the most it impacts is adding a tiny bit of flavor to a sentence that would’ve been fine without it. Like, for example, this line:

He looks into your eyes.

would suddenly turn into:

He looks into your ${eye_color} eyes.

That doesn’t really add anything to the game in my opinion. The one thing I might be interested in would be the height of my character if only because I can see how that might alter some interactions/events in a story, particularly in relation to romantic interests. Everything else (even height, I suppose) can just be headcanoned.

5 Likes

Interpersonal interactions was certainly my reason for making height customisable in Awoken, because it helps to know whether the MC towers over one character, or would need a stepladder to kiss another.

4 Likes

Which is why I’m looking forward to mackin’ on Cren. :sunglasses: I like that kind of customization, but picking every li’l detail about my character is simply unnecessary. Unless a certain hair or eye color is incredibly rare or signifies some kind of hidden potential, I don’t see how it might impact the story, y’know?

Outfit colour coordination? You don’t want to clash, do you? :scream:

2 Likes

Whatever customization that is done should be reflected in the story. Having a pierced belly-button is in the game, why?

I differ in @Lithophene in that eye color variables can add to a story if consistently used; as a one-of use then I agree with him.

But if a NPC is attracted to green eyes and is constantly loosing themselves in your chosen green eyes - that can be a powerful connection - it all depends on the writer’s skill.

4 Likes

More seriously, I don’t mind having to choose my MC’s appearance, although generally I like to have some idea of my MC before I go into it. One thing I wouldn’t like, though, is if one particular appearance was “better” than the others. To take @Eiwynn’s example, if an NPC prefers green eyes, is there any advantage to choosing any other colours? It may be less believable if all NPCs have different eye-colour preferences, but it’s certainly fairer.

3 Likes

I love it when games provide extensive character customization, be they MMOs, RPGs or even text games. Unfortunately the latter don’t really use them those options that much to make it worthwhile. “So you have a fancy hair-do and exotic eyes? That’s cool… to bad they won’t ever be mentioned in the game after the character creator.” In the end its nothing but a luxury, a filler (to increase the word count) and a tool to aid us with our head-canon appearance.

But assuming we somehow stumble upon a game where those choices do matter, like having NPCs with a preference list, I’m cool with that. I guess some people will complain that it may lead to situations where you’ll pick certain traits just to appease X. I mean, sure, you can min-max if that’s your style but if you’re here to RP then why does that even matter? Are you here to play a character you created or to fish for the best ending? What do you do when you encounter someone in real life that doesn’t like your appearance for example? You’ll either learn to deal with it and accept each other or move on to other people.

Its completely natural (and even realistic) to give NPCs certain traits they may or may not like but that doesn’t mean they won’t like you for having less desirable characteristics, it may just be harder to get there.

5 Likes

You know @IvoryOwl I think you may should check out Freak: Amidst the Neon Lights which does pretty much what you are describing.

7 Likes

Agree with your there fully. Games that do that just make me feel unadequate for some reason, like how was I supposed to guess that!

2 Likes

I don’t mind and sometimes quite like some customization (ie basic appearence of the mc) but if it’s overkill I personally find it gets annoying and wish there was a skip or premade option, especially if things you’ve set are never mentioned again. (For example if you spend time setting hairstyles, scars, jewelry and clothes but then it’s never mentioned again). That way you can choose.

Generally I’d say no to customization of other characters names, race, appearence etc as unneeded and if it’s there provide a quickstart option with everything preset. The only exception would be if there was a big difference in the story. (So if you chose to grow up in a family of trolls, you’re probably going to have different reactions and experences than if you grew up with elves.)

6 Likes

Wait … the story changes depending on if you chose Mara as your sister or Fairy as your brother? Seriously?

1 Like

Toxicdreams asked about adding in non-human race choice as an option for non-mc characters. I think having different people or races set in a story would make a difference although it’d be a lot of work to write! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m one of those guys that spends hours customizing their character before moving on to the story so for me, there is NEVER too much customization.

7 Likes

This may sound odd, but I’m happy with whatever level of customization, as long as a later description of the MC isn’t worded in a way that directly contradicts the image I have in my head too badly. Especially since certain narrative assumptions tend to do with ethnicity, gender stereotypes, or ableism.

For example, just because I may play as a female MC, I don’t care for them to automatically assume that means I must have long or smooth hair or wear skirts, unless there is a specific cultural context for why she should. Like, if it’s important to the setting, character, or story, let the player choose or explain context. Otherwise, if it really doesn’t matter, maybe leave it to headcanon without specifics. I hope that makes sense. :sweat_smile: And obviously, this applies only to text based games, since with visual games, I’m one of those people who can spend well over an hour tweaking details I’m going to have to look at moving around on screen.

5 Likes