[Tool] Chronicler - ChoiceScript Visual Code Editor

This would as you say involve abandoning ChoiceScript, whose legal terms are pretty clear. Other legal issues might well arise from building your work around someone else’s software and then switching it out so you can sell it. Best to get professional advice if it’s seriously a route you’re considering.

Tbh it seems like a poor idea to me, both ethically and business-wise.

5 Likes

@Havenstone I finally found some concrete legal literature in LICENSE.txt on their Github page. You are correct in that without a commercial license from them, their product cannot be used for monetary gain including content written to work with the CS parser (AKA the CS games themselves).
You also make an interesting point about abandoning CS. There really isn’t any other IF quite like CS in that it is simply a list of choices. Most other IF frameworks embed the “choices” in the story text itself as hyperlinks. If I abandon CS, I’d have to make some pretty significant changes to the design beyond just cosmetic.

Regardless, marketplace features are quite a ways off in the development cycle. If I do decide to go that route, I will contact them about acquiring a commercial license. In the meantime, I’d be happy to host Chronicler games for free similar to dashingdon’s service.

1 Like

It’s great that your enthusiastic about providing all these services, but there are perhaps two things to consider:

1. Are you maybe, just maybe biting off a little than is realistic to chew? As you’re likely already experiencing first-hand, developing just one high-quality tool/service takes a huge amount of time and effort. When this is done on a voluntary basis, and you have other working-week commitments, the impact of this is increased exponentially. Most of all, don’t forget that creating the tools/services is just the start, maintenance, future improvements and support, will take up plenty of your time going forward.

2. As you mentioned Dashingdon already provides a very similar service. As a community is it not more effective for us to collaborate and help each other produce a few top notch ‘goto’ solutions, rather than each of us trying to develop a whole host of variations? i.e is it really worth re-inventing the wheel?

Chronicler next sounds like it’s shaping up to be a solid application, but I wonder what your general goal/motivations are with it. CS, no CS? What’s the end goal, what do you want out of this? That is the most important question, and it’s not really clear whether or not you know the answer.

6 Likes

@CJW All valid points, and thanks for making me re-evaluate my perspective.
Ultimately, I’m making Chronicler to prove that I can. I’d also like to use it as a portfolio showpiece. I think most importantly though, I’m making Chronicler for the CS community. I’ve been here long enough that I have a sense of obligation to my current users and I want to deliver the best product possible (which really wasn’t possible with Qt).

Moving forward, I think I’ll stick with CS and I’ll integrate Dashingdon’s API for hosting.

Thanks again!

5 Likes

If you needed any more motivation, which it doesn’t sound like you do BenSeawalker, I tried to get into CYOA 12 months ago but could not take to Twine or Quest. I decided that COG would work out for me but decided to await Chronicler 2 before I take the plunge. So there is at least one person even outside the Chronicler community following your work :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hey, I’m having a problem with making a stats screen. The error I keep getting isthe%20error%20that%20makes%20me%20want%20to%20pull%20my%20hair%20out
But there’s no indent.

1 Like

@pandoraautumn Please post the full stats code, and if possible the generated output as well.

It is good forum practice not to ask for updates—it can be stressful to creators, and we generally try to avoid it on the forums.

3 Likes

@Hyperion Sadly progress has taken a turn for the slow this month. Went camping with the family and was also busy preparing and traveling for interviews. Still no job offers yet which is unfortunate.
I’m also starting a side business just to earn some income so I don’t have to feel like I’m mooching off my family anymore haha. It shouldn’t take more than a few hours a week to keep it going so I should have time to get back into development again soon.

Sorry folks, it’s not what you want to hear and not what I want to say. But unless some major calamity strikes, I will finish Chronicler eventually haha

3 Likes

A little off topic, but best of luck with that job hunt. It can be daunting and disheartening, but the tech industry isn’t short for jobs right now. Keep the faith :slight_smile: I’ve been through the process myself very recently (grad → job), so feel free to drop me a line if you ever feel like a second perspective might be of use!

4 Likes

I recently just imported my WiP into Chronicler since everywhere I go people seem to recommend it. But I didn’t like it at all, and upon uninstalling I’ve found that its completely altered everything I’ve done so far through notepad++.
Is there any way to undo the changes or will I have to manually go back through and create choices, labels etc all over again?

EDIT: After a more detailed look over the changes, it seems to have deleted all choices, and added new labels to almost everything, so when running the game it provides an error at every step. Would it just be easier to start again?

@CrossOver That is seriously unfortunate. :confused:
This version of Chronicler was technically still in beta, and the import sometimes does not work on particularly complex projects. I can only hope you made a backup or Notepad++ allows you to undo changes.

Chronicler can only work by generating CS code separately, you may want to check in your folders as it is supposed to make a backup of the original project before importing (I haven’t fully tested this feature).

As I have recommended in the main post, it may be best to wait for the web version of Chronicler to be completed before using this program. It already has a much more robust and accurate import feature, and is able to produce CS code that is much closer to how a human would write it. Plus it is all online, when you import a project it will not overwrite your existing code.

I’m truly sorry for the frustration this has caused you
I’m going to go ahead and delete the downloads for the current version in the main post.
Judging by the results of the current poll, nobody is actively using it anyway *shrugs

Wish there was more I could do :confused:
-BenSeawalker

I can’t seem to find a button to message you directly, but I was curious if I could receive an old copy of the Chronicler. I used it long ago and took a break and I just came back today to see you had taken the links down. I loved the thing personally, and was hoping to use it until your web version is done.

Thanks,
Levi

Hi, I’m currently looking for an alternative to Twine where I can have an editor review my work and have the changes tracked in the same file. Does (will) Chronicler allow for this?

Thanks
Anthea

Hey folks, sorry I’ve been away for awhile.

I finally landed a job so I’ve been busy moving and settling in.
I’ve got internet setup and I think I’m good to go continuing development in the evenings.

@Levi1776 I’ll go ahead and provide the download links again since it appears that there’s been several requests for them. I’ll just put some clearer warnings about backing up projects before attempting to import them.

edit: It’s also been 4 years since the release of “Tinker” the first version of Chronicler.

1 Like

@Anthobbit I’m afraid I’m not entirely sure what you mean. But if I had to take a guess, you certainly can send the .chronx file over to an editor to edit it then have them send it back. There isn’t any builtin mechanism to track what changes were made however.

They’re probably hoping for the program to have a built-in track changes feature for writer/editor handing off. Something like Word style.

@BenSeawalker have you considered Crowdfunding to help you get this over the line?

@Hyperion I did actually, but it kind of falls on some strange legal ground like the other monetization ideas I had for writers.
I’m actually doing fine financially now that I’ve landed a steady job.

I apologize for the lack of updates recently. I was excited to get working on the project again, but the world seems determined to have other plans haha
My biggest time sink recently is that I was elected to be DM of a role playing group. So a lot of my effort has been going into world building and story/quest ideas. Other than that there’s been some family stuff I had to take care of, but that should be done soon.

My current plans are to set aside some time on Saturdays to work on Chronicler. I’d do it on weekdays after work too, but I’m usually worn out from writing code all day at work and I feel the quality of Chronicler would suffer because of it.

Suffice to say, I definitely will continue the project and it is not dead yet despite the slow progress lately. >_<

6 Likes

Any chance of bringing along fellow community members to assist in development?

1 Like