[Tool] ChoiceScript Development Environment

Oh, I see. “Export Scenes” isn’t visible when the right pane is open, so that’s why I missed seeing it.

People could d/l it direct from Dropbox, and also, Dropbox will sync with your local computer too. Yeah, I guess a button to zip up and d/l the whole project isn’t so important with Dropbox sync in place.

Apperently, too much public traffic has been generated on this, and where are the saves located?

Sorry about that, the DB limit is 20GB a day, so this doesn’t usually happen - I’m very surprised and quite curious to know why it has myself.

At any rate the link should hopefully be working again within the next 16 hours or so (although hopefully a lot less).

As for saving, the current version simply stores the scene data in your browser’s local storage (so don’t use it with private browsing modes).
I’m working on an improved version that will allow you to connect directly to your Dropbox.

Thanks for the reply and ok, because i thought that the saves were in local or something and i am gratefull that the tool will be up again soon since i am working on something and i thought it was lost! :smiley:

I need some help here, I was using this tool to write a game, and everything was going well, (I was going to release the demo today) but then, when I tested my game for the last time, I got this message: “Error loading Scene ‘scene1’ - it may not exist.”

But it does exist, I am 100% sure. the size of that Scene is 40kb on the notepad, 968 lines of code. Is it too much? Am I doing something wrong?

The game was working just fine 5 minutes ago, I am panicking here u.u

EDIT: I just erased some text, bringing number of lines from 968 to 735. The game seems to be working now, I guess there is a limit here…

This is what I had to change:

This

*if (gender = “Male”) #(Option)
(big wall of text and stuff, using he, his, etc.)

*if (gender = “Female”) #(Same Option)
(big wall of text and stuff, using she, her, etc.)

Became this

_#(Option)
(big wall of text and stuff, using he, his, etc.)

people are probably going to be mad at me, but I don’t think there is anything I can do here :disappointed_relieved:

There is no limit, however, if I recall correctly you’re not allowed two choice options with the same name/text.

Tried changing the names but that didn’t really work.

Anyway, I have managed to get around this problem by using a few hidden variables. Thanks for the reply tho.

I need some help here, I was using this tool to write a game, and everything was going well, (I was going to release the demo today) but then, when I tested my game for the last time, I got this message: “Error loading Scene ‘scene1’ - it may not exist.”

But it does exist, I am 100% sure. the size of that Scene is 40kb on the notepad, 968 lines of code. Is it too much? Am I doing something wrong?

The game was working just fine 5 minutes ago, I am panicking here u.u

I just came here to post about the same problem - I can export the game once from Chrome, but if I try a second time, it says its having trouble finding “startup”. I thought something was horribly wrong, but what I’ve discovered is shutting down Chrome and re-loading the IDE seems to solve it - I can export once, and then not again till I save and restart.

Is this possibly just because I’m exporting my game more often than everyone else? My code seems to be fine because it works - I do have sounds and graphics which requires I export and then move the file into the folder with the multimedia files.

@Hanon_Ondricek @ballmot
There is indeed an issue here, thank you for bringing it to my attention.
I’ll take a look and get back to you when I’ve found the problem (and solution).

@ballmot @Hanon_Ondricek
Ok that should be fixed, you should be able to repeatedly compile without reloading the window or browser now.

1 Like

Thank you for looking at this - I haven’t had a chance to check it out yet but having the IDE consistently supported is an awesome thing :smile:

1 Like

When I get this error message, I run the game through the real interpreter, and a different error message comes up that tells me what I need to fix.

I see… But anyway, that was an old post, the problem has already been solved.

Thanks for the reply tho

Hello everyone,
I just started messing with ChoiceScript and specifically this ChoiceScript browser IDE.
The ide seems to be 00 percent accessible with a screen reader. I’m Visually Impaired/blind, and I have a few problems where editing is concerned.
I’m using Windows screen reader NVDA with Firefox. Most screen readers have a mode to type in and also navigate edit boxes with the arrow keys to see what content is within them. The multiline edit field for this forum reads just fine, for instance. While I like the line numbers in the IDE, my screen reader is reporting nothing when I up and down arrow through the lines of my code in the edit box. This makes it impossible to know what is being deleted when I press backspace. If I go into the edit box, do some typing and move out of it again, I see the lines complete with numbers, but can’t edit it. If I go to the last line of the document and press backspace, the only way to know that I’ve done so is to move out of the edit box and read the last line and find a few letters missing. If I want to remove a word, I have to remember how many spaces to backspace.
Is it possible that the new web version may be improved? I’ll just have to use the oldschool text editing method for now, but I hope I can test both new desktop and web at some point to test for accessibility. Despite this editing issue with screen readers I don’t think I’d have an issue with it. But I think I made a mistake in Startup and can’t reliablely fix it.
Thanks for a great tool otherwise.

Hi Orinks,

Just to let you know, the IDE’s author @CJW is away at the moment and won’t be able to respond for at least a few more days. I do however know that the whole user interface for the IDE will be changing quite considerably in the next version, so with luck this may be more suitable for your purposes (or perhaps be easier to tweak accordingly).

1 Like

This isn’t something I’ve much experience with.
I’ve never been much of a screen-reader user and I’ve never spent much time developing for accessibility either, so no the IDE wasn’t really developed with it in mind.

I’d love to improve and support it though, making the IDE and CS more accessible to everyone can only be a good thing, hopefully it’s something I can work into the revamp.

Bug report: Somehow, all my *choices got “squashed.” For example, I had this:

*choice #Choice A *goto A #Choice B *goto B

Then, each and every choice in the whole file (but only one of the files I have in the IDE) became like:

*choice #Choice A *goto A #Choice B *goto B

I think this happened after a failed compile (i.e. pressing the Export button). I had an error that made the compiler hang. I pressed Export, it said “working”, stopped, and then, nothing, no option to d/l the compiled file. I pressed Export again, and the same thing happened.

Then I tried to compile with compile.html, and it hung at the part where it says it’s putting the scene files together. This happened because I had two identical *labels. I removed the problem, and it compiled.

However, then when I ran the game, when it readed the scene in question, it reported improper indentation, which is how I found this bug.

Anyway, just thought I’d let you know about it. No biggie.

EDIT: I now suspect this isn’t caused by a bug in the IDE. It’s most likely from a script I wrote to automate setting up the IDE. Sorry for the (probable) false alarm!

1 Like

Hi, is there any chance the web-based IDE will be getting an update soon? I’m especially interested in the latest advanced features involving *goto_scene + curly braces. It is such a hassle having to make a list of *if statements due to the lack of a *goto_sceneref command.

Thank you so much for this amazing tool! It is a complete lifesafer that keeps me from having to install Firefox just for the sole purpose of writing games. =)

(Sorry if this is a stupid question… I couldn’t find any info about this anywhere)

1 Like

Thank you for the support, I’m glad you like the tool. I will try to update the CS version asap (hopefully sometime over the weekend).

2 Likes

Ok I’ve just updated it, please let me know if you have any more problems! : )