[Tool] ChoiceScript Development Environment

@Nocturnal_Stillness
Most certainly my friend, will be glad to have you; the name is down! :slight_smile:

I am using an Asus memo pad tablet and it is a little laggy, but doable. Thanks for making this IDE as I don’t have computer because it’s too expensive to where I am yet tablets are cheap how weird is that lols.

@Lucas
Well I am glad you’re finding it useful, I can definitely appreciate that it’s hard to develop CS games on tablets and mobile phones in-particular! :slight_smile:

@Nocturnal_Stillness
@Amadan

Sorry guys, the back end of the week and this weekend didn’t really go to plan so I’ve not quite got around to finishing the latest version, still as promised I’ll add you both to the chat and you can feel free to download the current one or wait for the next one at your leisure. Honestly any feedback is good feedback and I appreciate you both offering to help out, thank you, I hope you like it.

@CJW - Hey, its been a while, but I finally managed to royally screw something up again. :slight_smile:

I am about ready to beta a new game and I moved all the needed files to my dropbox. The index loads the game just fine in firefox, but when I try to access the Stat Screen in the program, this error message pops up:

'Couldn’t load URL: scenes/choicescript_stats.txt “access to restricted URI denied” code: “1012” nsresult 0x805303f4 (NS_ERROR_DOM_BAD_URI) location: "File:///C:/Users/Allen/Dropbox/Public/Web/scene.js Line:265 .

I am using the same set up that ran my beta for Tin Star without incident, but changed portions of the mygame, index, and smPlugin to be utilized by the new game ‘The Midnight Horror’.

Looking at various coding sites, they all seem to indicate that Firefox doesn’t want me loading cross domain content, but the proposed fixes are beyond my paltry java skills. Hopefully there is just a line or entry I need to change.

Hey there @AllenGies, now please correct me if I’m wrong but as your issue doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the IDE (and this is the IDE thread), I’ll reply to it by PM, just to keep things on topic here.

@CJW

[quote] More details soon!
P.S.
Any interest in Mac and Linux versions? [/quote]

Can I add my interest to there being a Mac version?

much love
Me

p.s: wow have forgotten my code-fu AND english in such a short time!

Hey there @nine! Good to hear from you.

I’m happy to say that there will now definitely be a Mac version with many (many) thanks to @Fiogan for helping me with that!
I’m still working out some mac-specific kinks, but I do hope and plan to be able to release both versions simultaneously.

For anyone interested a Linux version is still a possibility but I’m not working on one at this time (as there seems to be very little - if any - demand for it).

Thanks for putting this together, it is very useful!

1 Like

Thank you, I’m glad you like it - may I ask if there is any one feature in particular that makes it so useful to you, and whether there is anything you feel it’s currently missing and could really benefit from? Just a bit of market research for future updates! :wink:

I actually went straight to your IDE with only a little CS dabbling beforehand, so i don’t have much experience without it. But error highlighting is hugely useful.

Oh, desktop version, major interest here for that. :thumbsup:

Haven’t use your tool before, though, but I do like my tools offline. :blush:

It’s pretty late stage at this point but if you still want in on the testing (and actually plan to give feedback!), please feel free to throw me a PM : )

After a long hiatus, I’m back writing CS stories. Remember me? The coder guy? I’m on Ubuntu, so I can’t help with the PC version (unless you want Wine testing), but I was wondering what the state of the web IDE is? Can it save to my dropbox? Also, can it restore saved games?

@Flurrywinde11
Oh, hey!
The web version probably hasn’t been updated since you left, I’m working on the Desktop version at the moment and once that has been released, I’ll backport everything to the web version (including Dropbox support (or some alternative)).
But right at this moment in time, no, no it does not I’m afraid.

I’m not really looking for Wine testing or support, but feel free to give it a go.
In time I’ll probably move everything over to Linux as well. I just need to sort out a Linux development environment for myself first.

Wow, this tool is really great so far. No excuse not to write that game now. Despite the fact that my writing sucked harder than my scripting.

Still, this is cool. Thanks!

1 Like

In the web version, does Export do anything?

I know you’re focusing on the Windows version, but I recently found something you might be interested in for the web version, JSZip:

https://stuk.github.io/jszip/

It will zip up files in javascript for you, and that seems to mean the cs code could be turned into a zip archive users can “download”.

Jokes aside: Export compiles the game and allows you to download the resulting standalone .html file.
Just the other week I also added an export scenes option that allows you to download the individual scenes as .txt files.

Thanks for the share though, that definitely looks to be a useful library.
I won’t be touching that iteration of the web version again however, as I’m actually going to trash it as soon as the updated one is done. With direct Dropbox integration, the need for direct downloading should hopefully be eliminated, but we’ll see.

Sounds like a fun drinking game. LOL. I see that Export works now. Before, I pressed it, and nothing happened, but that might’ve been Opera.

Is export scene functionality in the online one I’m using?

Direct dropbox integration will certainly be awesome, but direct downloading might still be useful to get a quick .zip file for local backup.

Should be, but it was a very quick and raw implementation, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it Opera didn’t like it.

True, true - though you could just download it zipped from your Dropbox! Hehe :slight_smile:

I’ll see how things play out.