[Tool] ChoiceScript Development Environment

@fantom
Great! Much appreciated, I’ll put your name down :slight_smile:

You know I’ll love to use and abuse it. :slight_smile:

Desktop IDE - so it essentially functions more like Notepad++ but will still have all those wonderful ChoiceScript-specific features & benefits… count me in! :smiley:

Fantastic, thanks everyone.
There’s just a bit more coding to do, then I have to write up some half-decent documentation (that’s what’ll likely take a while).

Once that’s done I’ll send you all a PM with a link to a download.
If anyone else wants in, there’s no limit, so please still feel free to state your interest (even after I’ve sent the downloads out) :slight_smile:

OK, just a quick head’s up:
I should be sending the download links out to testers later this evening via PM, if all goes to plan. I’ll include you all in a group message thread, so if you could post any feedback there, rather than here (so other testers can read/comment and not duplicate what you say without spamming the forums) that would be great!
A big thank you in advance to everyone who’s offered to help, I really hope (and think) you’ll like what you’re going see. I’m looking ever so forward to seeing how your feedback will shape further development.

Again if anyone else wants to give it a go, just shoot me a PM or drop a post here - anyone is welcome! :slight_smile:

I haven’t really given my opinion on this yet; shortly said, it’s wonderful. I’ve tried it along with various code snippets to see how its features work and there haven’t been any issues with it whatsoever; it worked perfectly and it’s more appealing (and easier) to code ChoiceScript in this IDE than in the regular Notepad or the Notepad++ with its syntax highlighter. Honestly, I think you did a great job with it, considering I couldn’t find any flaws (even though I’ve not been using it for long), so thank you for making it in the first place! :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to the desktop version of it, and I honestly would sign up for helping the debug process of the desktop IDE…however, I don’t have a lot of time that could be dedicated to that.

Anyways, good luck with further development, you’ve done a great job with it so far; the IDE’s just wonderful (as I previously said). I’ve already replaced Notepad++ with this IDE for CS coding.

@AlexCosarca
Thank you Alex! That means a lot, I’m (pleasantly) surprised to hear that you’re using the Web IDE over Notepad++. I know to date the IDE has lacked a lot of basic features, and that’s really held any practical adoption back. The Desktop version (and subsequent web versions) aim to address this, so things like the horribly basic save system and the single project limitation will become things of the past.

If you want to try it out, I’d be more than happy to have whatever small or large amount of feedback you can provide, whenever you feel you have the time to provide it.
It’s not as if we’re beta-testing a game to a deadline, you could consider this a release, just a very small and controlled one.

I’ll include you in the group PM and if you get a chance to download it, you can, if not - no harm done? :slight_smile:

@CJW, okay then; I’m in for whatever feedback I’ll be able to provide after testing it out.

Update on the Desktop Version
The desktop IDE has come forwards leaps and bounds since the beginning of the testing period, both in terms of functionality and stability. I’ve had some invaluable feedback from the current group of testers and I’m really happy with how everything seems to be turning out.

Right now our only real problem is that the testers are starting to get quite familiar with the program. So we could really (really!) do with a few more people joining the testing process, just to help give us all a fresh opinion and perspective on the current implementation (and any future plans) without any bias or attachment that might have been acquired through testing previous versions.

There are no specific requirements other than downloading the program, playing around with it and sharing your thoughts - I don’t expect ‘x’ amount of feedback or ‘y’ years using choicescript or the forum. I’ll be extremely greatful and appreciative of any amount of support and feedback you can give, big or small.

If anyone is up for this please just post a message here or send me a PM.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Just to stick my tuppence / two cents in here, I think I can safely speak on behalf of all the current IDE testers when I say that this is shaping up to be an incredibly useful tool for ChoiceScript game development, making the whole process far more enjoyable, efficient and productive. @CJW has done - and continues to do - a magnificent job with this.

A few more testers offering their input can only make the final version better for all of us.

CJW _- I’d very much like to participate in the testing of your tool. I am a software developer myself, just getting into Choice Script, and I have found your web IDE to be a fantastic resource.

Hey there, @Amadan - welcome to the forums! :slight_smile:
Of course I’d love to have you help test the desktop version.

Now usually I’ve just cleared everyone right away, added them to the tester group and gave them a download link. However as it stands I’m actually currently sort of midway through making a few special additions/changes and am planning to push a bigger-than-usual (though not massive by any means) update early this coming week (mon-wed?).

Could I be so bold as to ask that I hold off adding you to the tester group until I push that version out? “Fresh” testers are a rare asset at the moment and I’d very much value and appreciate your untarnished (by previous versions) opinion on the next version.

If this suits you please let me know, if not I can add you straight away - that’s not a problem, it is just that - from a testing stand point - I’d love it if you could come in after this next update. But really, I can do whichever works best for you (as any feedback is good feedback)!

Thank you :smiley:

Can this Desktop Version? work if you used an android to test it with?

@Lucas
Not the desktop version no sorry, though depending on the device you may get limited use out of the web version. I can only confirm Windows support for the desktop release right now, though Mac and Linux versions are being looked at/are definitely a possibility.

That’s disappointing. I don’t have a computer. Still will it be possible? If so maybe someone who is knowledgeable on the android can help? The IDE on web is a little laggy when i try it on my tablet.

@Lucas
It’s definitely possible and it’s not even the technical know-how that’s stopping me, just the fact that I’m only human and can only do so much within a certain time frame.

An android version would require a different “wrapper”, so that’s why I’m not developing it in conjunction with the desktop versions. Not to mention everything on Android is smaller screen-wise, and touchscreen is used as the primary input - so all that would require some tweaking.

It can be done, but I make no promises and it definitely won’t be anytime soon. Sorry :confused:

Dang. Still great job on making this IDE its been helpful despite it getting laggy at times.

CJW - sorry for the delay in response. Yes, I’m fine with waiting until you have the new update ready to test.

@Lucas
Thanks, glad you like it. Can’t say I’ve ever experienced any untoward lag though and I’ve test it on numerous devices (including a weak 1GB of RAM Win7 netbook).
Now if you’re still on about your tablet/android devices then yes, the browsers for phones/tablets aren’t really up to part with their desktop OS counterparts yet so you will be likely to experience degraded performance.

@Amadan
Thank you, very much appreciated.
Not surprisingly I’ve not met my target (it’s Tuesday today and the patch isn’t ready), but I do really hope to have it done before the weekend, if not I will just add you in at that point anyway. Thank you very much for patience and interest :slight_smile:

@CJW

I’ll be starting proper work on Rookfall and Unnatural season 2 soon so you can put me down for testing the desktop version once the update is done :slight_smile: