There are Ninjas Flagging my Posts

Edit: Ah, I see what you’re saying now.

In hindsight, you are probably right.

It’s likely the mods and the admins. We’re the ones most likely to flag posts.

Welp, if that's the case...

[img]http://oi57.tinypic.com/j5jcxv.jpg[/img]

Think we're done here, boss.

1 Like

I think you’re fine, but you should relax and maybe read some of your posts before you press submit. Take a moment to really think how your post is gonna be received. You probably have a clear idea in your head of what you mean, but sometimes it’s good to step back and consider who else will read what you posted and what they’ll think of it. Sometimes an ill-timed joke can seem too flippant or feel like a brush off (like the plebeian thing).

But, again, you’re fine and it’s great you apologized. Your intentions aren’t bad, and as you already know I see potential in your game.

3 Likes

Flagging with such randomness and disregard for the content of a post is Highly Uncharacteristic of a Mod or Admin. Judging by the disregard to content in some and the possible warrant of a flag in others, I’d venture to say that there’s about a 15-ish% chance the latest ones were done by a Mod or Admin, more likely it’s a user, a troll… Or an enemy stand (sorry, sorry, I really couldn’t resist). Also, do mods and admins get a log of flags? Because if so one could ask a Mod or Admin to just take a look in the logs to see what happened (which by this point is highly irrelevant, but if you really have a burning desire to know…).

It’s not a conspiracy. Somebody was put off by some of the posts, and in most of the instances I can see the reason why although I wouldn’t have flagged them myself. Case closed.

3 Likes

Actually, Jason’s wrong. The majority of flags are by normal users, not by the moderators. Most of those are alerting us to spam. Flags are a good way of alerting us to something that might be a problem. If several forum members flag the same post then that post will become hidden.

Any flags made by the community are then checked over by the moderators. We moderators generally review the flags and either agree or disagree with them. The system sends off an automatic message if we agree.

Yes we moderators can see who flagged a post. No I’m not going to tell because I consider flags to be in the strictest confidence. We’ve yet to have anyone try and use the flag system to troll. (Please do not see this as an invitation to do so.)

1 Like

If I may, I’d like to ask a question about flagging a post in general. Is there any difference (visually) between a “hidden” post (i.e. A post that several people flagged and did not yet go for moderation) V.S. a fully flagged post (i.e. A that was flagged by several people and was also moderated as warranted) because you would assume flagged and negatively moderated posts would be deleted no? Else what would be the point of flagging something as spam as you mentioned. Also, do flagged posts become “unhidden” if gone for moderation and judged as unwarranted?

And I add one question: is the flagged-post owner getting an explanation at some point in the process? The reason of the flag, the number of people that considered the post should be removed? A possibility to edit before deletion? (Even without knowing who had been offended.)

@Tehani That’s three questions. :-p
Posters usually have at least one chance to edit their posts. I believe they also get a note about the general reason for the flagging, and if they want clarification they can ask a mod, but they’ll obviously never be told who’s flagged them or any other such information. Flagging is an entirely confidential system, and that simply limits the information available, but they can always ask the mods for clarification.

@Malebranche There’s a lot of different states of hidden and flagged. The basic system is: Post is Flagged ‘Enough’ (What qualifies as enough changes depending on a lot of different factors, but is generally between one and three people) > Post is automatically hidden > Poster is notified and given an opportunity to change their post > Post is unhidden if changed. All of this can happen before a mod ever gets to it, but we all have a constant reminder in that case. Moderators can step in and change what exactly happens at pretty much any given step, including rolling back steps.

There is no indication of what exactly the moderators have or have not seen, nor what they have done (although moderator overview is generally within a couple of minutes I believe). Content is not actually deleted (unless a moderator directly does so), with the exception of spam. If a moderator disagrees with flags, it is immediately unhidden. I think that covers everything you asked?

1 Like

@Reaperoa Mathematics is not my forte. :stuck_out_tongue: OK thanks for explaining!

With flagging being the topic, i want to try an experiment.

Whoever flags this post is a troll.

Now, lets see how many times this post gets flagged, for curosity’s sake

Thew forum software used here (called Discourse) is super JavaScript heavy. If you’re looking at a thread and someone posts to it, it will live update in your browser. So it’s likely that someone already had the page open, scrolled to the bottom of the thread and saw your post pop up. I guess all I’m saying is that the time frame is much more plausible with this forum software than most others. :shrug:

Almost flagged you, jk.

Basicly a lot of sheltered kids get upset if you talk about sex drugs and rock n roll :sunglasses:
But I don’t really mind, I’ve seen forums implode on themselves when every thread is hijacked by arguments over feminism, racism, sexuality and stuff like that.
But since the etiquette here is to be (in my opinion) overly respective to eachother most threads stay their course focusing on the game instead of hurling shit at eachother.
When I come to this website I want to discuss actual choose your adventure games, so whenever I feel like shitposting I go to another site. And so should you.
While bending rules are fun and people do tend to overreact to petty insults like pleb (come on man) it’s better to hold your tounge and not deal with a thousand “Im angry at what offensive thing you just said” and dragging the thread to shit with you.

But I agree that on your 18+ game that I think has 18+ in it’s title, people should shrug it off and move on.

4 Likes

There are time i feel like talking trash, is there a site i can go to to do that and not worry about being traced, hunted down and killed

4chan? If not there then try googling and I’m sure you’ll find somewhere.

5 Likes

Thank you so much feather XD

To avoid further clutter on the Guenevere thread, I’m addressing @Viktor_Akse’s complaint here.

On the old forum, you’d just have had people jumping in to remind you of the rules, which include “Don’t keep asking when a game will be released. Usually the author doesn’t know.”

Nobody’s offended by your asking… but “when’s the next update?” posts are pure clutter on WIP threads, which (even when they’re live) often don’t have an update for months on end. It’s the same rationale as for rules like “don’t start roleplaying threads” and “don’t bump dead threads (i.e. very old WIPs).”

On the new forum, a post that’s flagged for breaking a rule will be automatically hidden, whether it’s breaking the Keep It Tidy rules or the Always Be Civil ones.

So yes, you’ve been “censored,” but FWIW, it’s by the system, not an overreacting mod. In theory, the flagging system will further reduce thread clutter by hiding rule-breaking posts without the need for other members/mods posting reminders of the rules. Unless we have to respond to irate members every time it happens.

4 Likes

It’s more than just a matter of “clutter.” It’s also a matter of it being INCREDIBLY demoralizing for writers to be pestered with “when’s the next game/updated/chapter being released” constantly.

4 Likes