The Surface (WIP), Now With a Demo!

I like this game! But how is the magic in this universe? I can throw fireballs and lightnings? Or is something different? I hope to see this game finished in the future. :smile:

Damndest thing, I was just contemplating messaging you about this wip to see if you wanted to follow up on that offer of help.

Small world, but you wouldn’t want to paint it.

@Damian Magic operates on a (I think) pretty unique system in this universe, where the more proficient or talented you are at one thing, the less proficient or talented you will be at its opposite. So, if you’re a fantastic healer, your fireballs will be tiny and not very hot, for example. Much more of that information will become available in the magi origin, once I start it.

@Moreau Hey! Yeah, I know, I’m like the slowest writer ever. It took me a month to write about half an hour of game. But at least I’m getting better at the code now. And if you still want to take a look and send me any editorial notes, please do.

1 Like

Playing through it now, I can only remark that I like the setting and it’s clearly well written, but ‘Inkwell’ can’t seem to settle on a gendered pronoun, switching from male to female depending on the sentence.

The fight scene flows very well, a lot of authors tend to make the skill-sets a bit too obvious, if you specify a strength build, there will be a button that says “Smash his puny face with your bloated roid-fist”, and usually the ‘smart’ options are anything but. I like to play smart or charismatic characters and it was nice to see the ‘intelligence’ options looking well thought out and logical.

My only true criticism (if it can be called that) is that some of the cooler, more ‘out there’ aspects of your brief have yet to shine through. I’d like to explore the cultural quirks of living on the ceiling so to speak, seeing how cultures that float are effected by their unique world.

Ah, I see the problem. The places where it looks like Inkwell might be female are actually about the Archivist, who is a woman. Inkwell himself is male. I’ll try changing the wording later to make that more clear. Thanks for the note.

And you have a fair point about the setting. So far I’ve only briefly alluded to a few of the odder aspects of the city; I’ll try to make a point to highlight them a little more as I go, though the challenge there is not spending too much time on something a character from the world would find perfectly ordinary. :smile:

1 Like

I won’t lie I thoroughly enjoyed this wip. Can’t wait to see the rest :smiley:

1 Like

So far, so good! I adore the concept of this WIP!

1 Like

I really enjoyed what you have so far I can’t wait to see what happens next

2 Likes

Nice game so far im really liking the demo :smiley:

1 Like