Sword of the Slayer -- BETA TESTERS NEEDED

I’m new to beta testing, so sorry if this is a bit of a silly question. If I playthrough the game as I normally would and I don’t find any blatant errors (high level or low level ones) would I be penalized for not providing substantial feedback? Of course, I can always playthrough the game a couple more times if needed, I’m just not sure what to report if I don’t find any major issues.

5 Likes

Good question.

The short answer is that an IF can always be improved. Therefore, there are always flaws to note and comment on.

If you can’t perceive those flaws, then maybe beta testing isn’t for you. But that’s ok.

The most basic type of flaw is a typo. Those are easy to spot. This game actually has had a bunch of those. Another type of flaw is a continuity error, where the story doesn’t make sense because there’s an error in the code. Those are also easy to articulate if you notice them.

Then you get to more subtle flaws. Writing IF is about being an illusionist. You’re writing fragments of text, hoping that when read, they all hang together and make sense. But the author will never play through ever potential iteration, nor will they write every potential iteration.

That means that there are frequent gaps in the text that we try to disguise. Identifying those gaps or transitions and calling us out on them is helpful as well, because those are very hard to see from reading the code.

Then there’s the question of character. Do the NPCs seem believable? Do they feel motivated? Do you care about them? All these are questions better answered by a reader like you.

And that comes back to the PC: is there a moment where you really think a different option should have been available? Was there a solution to a problem that you can imagine, and would be appropriate for your character, but which wasn’t offered? Suggest that!

Beta testing is about more than just picking out errors. It’s about seeing the flaws, gaps, and transitions, and offering solutions as to how to better conceal them.

I hope that helps!

16 Likes

Thank you! This helps a lot, actually. If I get approved for testing I’ll keep your examples in mind. Hopefully I’ll be of some help to you! If not I’ll probably just avoid any beta testing in the future. I do want to give it a go, though.

I find that when I read, I tend to focus most on characters/relationships so I’m hoping that I can provide some feedback in that department at least! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you don’t mind my curiosity, what is the draft update frequency? I find myself to compose a large bug report in mail (which would take a day or more), but when an update hits up, I feel I have to true refresh (Shift + F5) the browser to keep things up with the update.

Or maybe what I’m doing isn’t necessary and you guys are fine with report of already fixed bugs? :frowning_face:

1 Like

We’re trying to get a new draft up every second day. But how can we fix a bug if you don’t report it? You’re assuming you’re not the only person to spot whatever big bug this is! You might be the only person to notice and report this! So uh, despite whenever a draft hits, please send in your reports.

5 Likes

New draft posted!

• Various typos and continuity issues.

• Updated the gods’ appearances so it’s less cryptic to the player which god the character has the most affinity with, and so the player has ultimate control which god appears to be their patron.

• Added the option to return to save point after each chapter.

• Fendic is now more obviously less competent with a sword.

• There is a additional scene with Ashane in Chapter 5.

2 Likes

New draft posted!

• Typos and continuity bugs
  • Fixed major error that caused the PCs god to vanish replaced by a repeated “error”
  • Fixed issue in Chapter 9 where Radgar appeared when he was dead or left in the dungeon.
  • Edited ending to account for a PC that never met Ramsen Arandas
1 Like

New draft posted!

• Additional ending content added.
1 Like

Final beta invites have been sent out. No more invites will be sent.

Please return your beta feedback ASAP. We’ll be sending to copyedit soon.

If you just got the beta invite and you don’t think you’ll be able to get feedback returned in time, just reply and let me know that you want to withdraw.

3 Likes

I just finish my playing the beta game, where i send my review?

Use the same mail as your beta-entry request. Preferably as part of the same thread, instead of sending new mail with new subject.

6 Likes

New draft posted, about 6000 words of content added:

• Typos and continuity errors from the various seeds.
  • New scene in ch1 with street urchin from earlier where we get to see some Royal Guard brutality.
  • Fixed loop in c 10b that happened when the PC tried to charge all the guards at once.
  • Added stat to record how often the PC allows sword to take over, each time increasing add to thrall.
  • Updated stats screen so relationship stats only show after introducing the character in question.
  • New scene in c2 where the PC sees aftermath of monsters feeding on public.
  • New scene in c3 with man warning PC about Radgar, earlier intro of Radgar’s backstory.
  • Fixed continuity referring back to first Wyrm confrontation, so there’s no referring to being almost killed when party successfully sneaks past.
  • Fixed bug where gods still partly exiled after PC returns gods to the Tabernacle.
  • Rewrote Ashane meetings in c3 and c5 so second meeting is much expanded (showing one of Demorgons public execution) allowing on-stage intro of Demorgon and Lothar Kur as well as name-dropping Ashane’s father Ramsen so PC has all this info going forward. Also moved Ashane’s recruitment of PC from first meeting to second, so it seems less abrupt.

We’re more or less done with beta testing, but if anyone only did one playthrough or just wants to take another crack, this has incorporated a lot of player feedback and has totally new scenes in it.

6 Likes

New draft posted!

Remember kids, if you see a post here, there really is a new draft! The author’s “version number” is not consistently updated, so you may safely ignore it!

• Fixed situation where the sword could take over the PC when Thrall < 50.
  • Added a new set of end states where a (surviving) PC with a Thrall >= 70 has the sword take over in their final scene.
  • Eased up on the difficulty of the second Wyrm fight.
  • Eased up on the difficulty of the fight with Lothar Kur.
  • Added scene where Demorgon visits the PC in the dungeon in c8.
  • Expanded scene with Radgar in c5.
2 Likes