Startup Line 62: Illegal mixing of spaces and tabs; this line has a tab, but there were spaces on line 26

Now, this is something relatively simple. Yes, I understand that there is an unwanted space, but I honestly have no idea on WHERE that line is.

If someone could possibly give me a format of what it’s SUPPOSED to look like, then I’d probably follow that routine. Here’s the full code:

*choice
#Germany.
You're German.
#The United States.
You're an American.
#Britain.
You're a Brit.
#Canada.
You're a Canuck.
#France.
You're a Frenchie.

I’ve tried literally EVERY TYPE of spacing when it comes to these choices. I’m stuck.

This error means that there’s a tab on line 62 while there are spaces on line 26. Just erase the spacing of both lines and then put it back with whatever spacing you’re using (spaces or tabs, you can’t have both).

*choice
 #Germany.
  You're German.
 #The United States.
  You're an American.
 #Britain.
  You're a Brit.
 #Canada.
  You're a Canuck.
 #France.
  You're a Frenchie.
1 Like

Again with the indents it seems.
On that note, i dunno if notepad++ etc allow for it, but i’ve grown found of using scrivener for coding as it allows you to see the invisible bits like spacing. It makes indention so much easier.

On Notepad++ go to View —> Show Symbol —> Show White Space and TAB

3 Likes

Are you working with CSIDE? I had a similar problem where the indentation was set to Spaces without my realising so every time I pressed the Tab button, four spaces would appear and I’d have no way of knowing. I fixed this in the Settings menu and set Visible Tabs to on.

Hopefully, that’s relevant/helpful.

3 Likes

I know Notepad++ does. Spaces = dots and Tabs = arrows.
CSIDE only has markings for Tabs.

Your problem usually happened to ppl who uses CSIDE, especially when you use spaces instead of tabs.

Have you tried to check every nook and cranny for a stray tab/space (whatever your case)?

Okay. Simple solution is replace all four spaces with a tab or vice versa

There is a replace all feature in both CSIDE, notepad++ and or in any other decent word processor.

And you have to copy a tab to the replace with or replace fields ( you can’t insert it )