Space issues?

So, I copied half a chapter (About 6K words) into word so I could look into it, however since the formatting between txt file and word file is different, it put a space between every paragraph. For example
There is no space here. But when I put all this in a txt
It gives me this. Any way I can format it back to txt file without the space? The problem arises when there’s a space in the *fake_choice section

It also messed up the quotes as well-
Turning “ into "

I believe Word gives you the option of saving things as a text file. I have not used it in years, but in the save menu it used to have something that said: “Save as…” as an option.

I suggest switching to Notepad++, which in my experience is easier to work with in Choice Script projects.

4 Likes

Unfortunately I’m using Grammarly to find the mistakes that I may have missed, which isn’t supported by Notepad++

When Grammarly suggests a change, can you just make that change in the original .txt file with whatever text editor program you prefer, rather than “fixing” the version you’ve copied into Word?

I know that doesn’t help with reformatting the file you’ve already got, but I’m afraid you might just have to tackle that manually. :frowning:

MS Word generally doesn’t play well with code. I understand wanting to use its spell and grammar check functions, but I’d suggest looking for ways to do that without ever actually editing your code in a Word version…since that can so easily introduce auto-formatting changes.

4 Likes

Rather than Notepad++, for your purposes I’d probably recommend Visual Studio Code (VS Code). You can use the ChoiceScript language extension to get syntax highlighting, error checking, and immediate access to Quicktest, Randomtest, and your game running in a browser, as well as some readability benefits (being able to collapse nested statements, for example).

There’s also an extension to integrate Grammarly so you have that in the txt file.

vscode_grammarly_example

though this case, I think, is a false positive in context, but that’s Grammarly’s issue and not the extenion’s

Notepad++'s current key advantage imo is its access to macros (which I don’t think are currently built-in to VS Code) and potential years of experience people have using it. If neither applies to your use case, the case for using it is weaker imo. Notepad++ is also better at handling large files, but ChoiceScript never really gets into the file sizes it takes to make VS Code chug compared to more lightweight options.

3 Likes

You can install extensions to create macros, though, imo, vs code has so many functionalities you probably don’t need any macros.

1 Like

I actually use MS word for my spell checker all the time (usually copied out of notepad++). It is annoying with code, but it has a handy function where you can either add words to the dictionary, or if you don’t want to do that (for example if you don’t want to risk a mispelling in your other non-choicescript docs, you can just “ignore all” when it flags a piece of code and then it will stop flagging every instance of fake_choice, [/i], whatever code or spelling it isn’t liking in the doc as you go. If I have mulitple files to look through, I set it up with the ignores in the first one, then delete it, and past the second doc in etc down the line.

Control A selects all in a doc, control C to copy, control V to paste. I do that rather than save things into text docs via word as sometimes it’ll work but occasionally odd things can happen.

No idea about grammarly as I don’t use it though. What did you originally write this in? I’d suggest CSIDE or Notepad++ as both seem to play fine with CS code-> then just copy out the stuff you want checked and then paste it back into the original file like above. (And CSIDE is specifically built to run it although I’ve had spacing issues when opening text files in it which were not written in it, so would have to see if you’ve already started a project if it will work.

1 Like

When I am ready for the final grammar check, I copy the notepad ++ code into Grammarly proper, and then paste it back in again. Grammarly is good at preserving code and spacing and everything else as is. Sure, there’s a copy segment, but it’s not that much of a hassle for me.

I don’t use grammarly, but when I’m spell & grammar checking a chapter, I’ll copy-paste it into the program I’m using but leave the original up. I run the checks, and any changes the spellchecker finds that I want to incorporate I ctrl-f for in the original and change manually. Not only does this leave all the formatting in place, it’s extra insurance against making accidental, unwanted changes.

4 Likes

MSWord requires skills that people are often just kind of assumed to have, but are never explicitly taught.

First, paste as plain text, if you haven’t been doing that already.

Make sure you select everything and hit the No Spacing formatting option as well.

You can also do this manually in the paragraphing menu.

If you want to be 100% sure that it doesn’t convert your quotation marks, do this:

7 Likes

…I didn’t know that and I was taught that blasted program in uni.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.