Short interactive fiction comp

There are instructions for compiling a ChoiceScript game into an HTML file here: http://www.maderealstories.com/games/ChoiceScriptTutorial.html#.1g

1 Like

I would just use the posts above as a guide, because Jacic walked me through it a couple days ago, helpful soup that he is. I had no idea how this worked.

I’m soup now? Ok then :laughing:

@nauhziy: Yep, try the method from a few posts above. Basically make sure all your scenes are listed in startup, find the compile.html in the CS package and run it in firefox. Download the file. If it gives you any problems where it doesn’t save with the right extension like it did with hustlertwo, just rename the downloaded file “game.html” (or something similar with a “.html” extension) and it should run in web browsers.

Can I ask a favour of my own, apparently there’s been a problem with broken images and sound in my entry for some people. I’ve changed the hosting and I’m hoping it might be fixed now. (It’s hard for me to test as it was working on my end and only broken for some people for some weird reason.) Would anyone mind having a quick flick through it and letting me know if there’s any broken images showing up and whether the sound is playing? It can be found here: Pawprints by Jacic

Edit: @nauhziy just saw you have uploaded it, just make sure you’ve got these boxes ticked in the game editor:

4 Likes

That would be our helpful soup Autocorrect kicking in.

1 Like

Alright, so entries are closed for the Sub-Q jam and it looks like we have four writers (that I know of) from this forum who have entered. Good luck! :fireworks:

If anyone is interested, the entries are here, or direct links:

hustlertwo with Continuation

will with A.I. Love You

nauhziy with Love Me

And myself with Pawprints

5 Likes

The question you’ve all been waiting for:

What does will specifically think about the other entries by writers from this forum?

Fear not! Your question shall be answered.

Love Me

I was a bit wary of this one at the start from the loose prose and simple choices but it started to grow on me as I went along. It grew on me a lot. I found myself thinking that every time I made a choice that felt good to me, the game would undermine it by expressing how other people make fun or don’t care or hurt me despite it. And it turns out that the defiance towards others, and even maybe towards the game itself, was exactly what it was going for in the end. It was really well done.
5/5

Pawprints

I expected a choicescript game considering it was written by a forum offer but it seems to have been made in twine, I think! The mechanic of writing a letter to a lost dog was really neat, though I wish that it was more clear which choices would change the wordcount and which choices would advance the letter. I thought that cycling through the quotes at the end was a really sweet touch, and being able to print the whole thing at the end was great.

5/5

Continuation

Like pawprints, this one is about producing work out of dedication to those lost. I like the twisted take on love that causes you to torture yourself for the sake of someone who no longer exists. It was the shortest out of the ones I looked at, but it knew exactly what it wanted to say and said it. I especially like that each separate decision at the end is treated with equal weight and never judged negatively. Everyone grieves in their own way.

5/5

EDIT: I played all the games in the jam!

My three favourites:

1. Pretend you love each other: https://itch.io/jam/subqjam/rate/345824. Really excellent use of mechanics to tell the story.
  2. Ghosted: https://itch.io/jam/subqjam/rate/343165. It may have stirred something inside of me. Surprisingly hot without being explicit.
  3. Cedar, Witch, Etc: https://itch.io/jam/subqjam/rate/346152. The use of colour was phenomenal.

Honourable mention to Fill the Void, which had beautiful artwork but very little interactivity. Hiding the “next” button was a clever way of getting the reader to take in more of the details of the piece, but it was little more than a gimmick. But seriously the artwork is so good.

Dishonourable mention to Unmaking, Unmade, which dressed itself up in flashy graphics and pretty UI to disguise the fact that it has basically no interactivity and an empty story. The enormous list of contributors at the end was a little alarming for something with so little substance.

3 Likes

Will, you blatant suckup. Don’t ever change.

4 Likes

Ah yes thank you for the tips! Managed to figure it out, normally I just use CSide so all the compiling stuff was so foreign to me hahaha. Still! Thank you! And sorry for the late reply! (timezone differences suck)

1 Like

@will
Thanks for trying it out! And I completely second @hustlertwo’s sentiments HAHAHA

All the best to everyone for the jam! It was fun to just hack out something heh

3 Likes

I also really liked Ghosted! The player character totally made it for me. She’s wonderful and a little bit ridiculous and her voice is really strong. At the same time her choices felt more meaningful than they have any right to be in such a short story.

I’m glad I entered, though I don’t expect to win. Partly because my entry is the only parser game (I think?) so it might not be the kind of thing the other entrants generally want to play. But also because it’s also the first game I’ve ever written in Inform, so it was definitely a learning experience. It was really fun to make and I’m already working on a much larger Inform project!

1 Like

Which one did you submit? I’ve played them all so I’ll recognise it!

the only parser game

Oh yeah! That was pretty short but I liked it a lot. The trick was examining everything.

For some reason your game was not the only one in the contest that promoted bestiality!

2 Likes

Ha! I hope it doesn’t come across as necessarily sexual, but death of the author… Now I have to play more of the other entries to figure out what the other one was. I’m glad you liked it!

The original idea was to make it with only humans and objects and write an explicit outcome for every combination. But the sub-Q guidelines don’t stand for that kind of thing, which is for the best since that concept wasn’t a game so much as an erotica generator.

1 Like

The other one was cat girl wish fulfilment fantasy. I really didn’t like it. Something felt so artificial about it, like the author had set up the scenario just to argue his point against a straw dummy.

Thanks for the nice review @will! Yep this was my first go at writing something in twine. I just wanted to add things like cycling choices, background images and audio which is more suited to twine than cs so that’s why I used it for this particular project.

So do I actually! That’s my inexperience with twine showing, I want quite sure how to change the colour of the advancing text so it looked a little different. The only saving grace is at least it has a back button I guess.

I’m still working my way through the entries (have been really busy this week!) And haven’t had a chance to look through the new version of yours yet, but I love what you’ve done with the interface and the longer version i saw was very good :slight_smile:

I agree with you about pretend you love each other, very cool game show like game.

@untiltheygo which is yours? Haven’t had a chance to look at most of the entries properly yet.

2 Likes

Mine is 1K Cupid (the most imaginative title, I know)! I did add a simple hint mechanism before submissions closed, so hopefully that’ll make it more accessible to more people.

I haven’t had a chance to play many of the other entries, either – I keep trying on my phone, which just doesn’t get along with twine in particular. Very excited to actually sit down with my laptop at some point and see what everyone else made!

3 Likes

5 days until the results come out :sweat_smile:

Also, just while I’m here, apparently one of COG’s WIP writers has published a (non-choicescript) game this month in sub-q if anyone wants to go and support them Thanks for the Memories - sub-Q Magazine

4 Likes

Results are out!

I made the top 10!

(I came 10th ha ha)

The winner was Pretend You Love Each Other and I feel it was well deserved. Its use of mechanics to tell its story was masterful.

The second place winner, Unmaking, Unmade absolutely did not deserve second place. All of its graphics and animation disguised the fact that it was all just an interesting way to design the “continue story” button.

I’m pretty pleased that Ghosted came third almost entirely on the strength of its writing.

2 Likes

Congrats @will and everyone else who entered! It’s surprisingly hard to make an interactive piece in under 1000 words like this one was, so I reckon everyone who entered did a great job :grin:.

While it would have been nice for one of our entries to place in the top 3, I do agree the 1st place winner was well deserved. If anyone reading this thread hasn’t already checked it out, it’s worth a look-see :slight_smile: . (And I agree so is Ghosted.)

It was a tough crowd though, even the winner only scored about 3.9/5 overall, some entrants must have been marking hard!

1 Like

Looking forward to the judge’s favourites. I feel like I could have done better if my game wasn’t as difficult! It’s easy to translate frustration into a bad score.

2 Likes

Yep could definitely happen which is unfortunate, but I did really like what you did with your game. It’s all going to depend on the preferences of each reader. I was kind of disappointed that the straight choicescript written entries didn’t rank a bit higher as well. I wonder if that’s partially a byproduct of having many people used to playing scripts written in twine or similar with more bells and whistles with the presentation. Anyway, lets wait and see what the judges decide :slight_smile:

3 Likes