Short interactive fiction comp

Actually I just saw, the winning entries are going to be published in an issue with some good writers including a writer for Failbetter games (Fallen London). I’m excited to see what comes out in Feb :grin:

If anyone else from around here gets an entry submitted (there’s about a week to go), please let us all know so we can go and have a read :slight_smile: .

4 Likes

Okay, so now is it visible?

Yes. But I think you need to compile it first. It’s asking me to download text files.

Ah crap. It is, and it’s busted.

Quick compile it! (Seriously it’ll be fine. Just submit the compiled html version.)

(BTW the dog looks really quite scary when it’s a large pic.)

Trying to figure out how.

In the choicescript package there’s a compile function. (Run compile in firefox, making sure all your scenes are listed. Then download.)

If you have images, it’s trickier. You’ll have to use CSIDE to turn the images into scenes. (Someone did tell me how to do that for Lost ones on here somewhere. Otherwise I can look for it when I get back. Sorry about to run out the door.)

2 Likes

No images, and compiled it, but still no go. Says it needs index.html to be able to work. Still trying to figure this out. Seems weird to me that the compiled file type is given as File. is that the sticky widget?

Sorry don’t have time right now, but is it just stats and startup as your text files? If so, I can download them later tonight and see if I can get it compiled for you either today or tomorrow. (Not sure why it’s not working for you, but I should be able to get it to work as I’ve compiled a few of mine before.)

2 Likes

No stats. That file’s there but for something this short it seemed irrelevant. Not a problem, do your thing. I’m going to see if I can figure it out.

No probs. Sorry afk at the moment and not sure what time I’ll get home again but if you haven’t been able to get it to work, I’ll see if I can sort it out for you when I’m back. Maybe ask in the main forum. All of us that were pre-dashingdons era should be able to help you with troubleshooting the compiling tool as that’s what we had to do to use Dropbox :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll be heading to bed shortly. Will see if someone else has a clue since I likely don’t here.

1 Like

Actually just a thought. Rename the compiled file game.html and see if that fixes it

4 Likes

Wish I could hit the Like button a few more times. That did it! Thanks muchly.

2 Likes

I think there’s a setting to enable scrolling within itch.io on your game edit page. (I did it for mine somewhere but can’t quite remember where it was.) On my mobile and I don’t seem to be able to scroll down to the next buttons at the moment unfortunately.

4 Likes

Got it fixed. Thanks for the heads-up, never checked after making sure it worked on the first screen.

3 Likes

I got the same problem. Can’t scroll down enough to hit next on an early screen.

1 Like

Shouldn’t be the case now. I both expanded the ratio and checked the box for it to autofit for people. It should work with mobile as well since I checked that box but I have yet to personally verify this.

Well, I submitted! Getting the HTML file was a pain in the ass. I had to compile it, then launch it in Firefox from the dialogue prompt, then copy the directory filepath but leave out the last bit so it wouldn’t autolaunch again, then do a search for it because I couldn’t find it, then copy the file and paste it to desktop, and then upload that file and for some reason that worked.

2 Likes

So. I wrote something on a wimp and now I have no idea how to compile/post it. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?