Shiny swords

Naturally, yes. I believe that the majority of horses would be treasured and no one would risk killing one, even if you were on offense, because of just how valuable they are to improving your logistical situation. At least at first. I’m sure once horses became more prevalent they’d see the battlefield again.

Depends on how long after the apocalypse the story takes place, then.

1 Like

70 years, my friend.

I’d say depending on the context of said apocalyptic event, it’s perfectly plausible that weapons like swords and big knives(like machetes for example) would be the go-to for most people in terms of practicality and maintainability as a weapon you’d always carry(as they used to be for a very long time all over the world). I do think it would be hard to explain/justify why people aren’t making different types of makeshift ammunition/firearms(assuming this is the case) for the sake of the raw advantage in terms of survival it would provide though, if realism is the goal.

1 Like

They are. Manufacturing, I mean. The sword in this instance would never be a primary weapon but a niche secondary. Kind of like how swords were carried in WWI; mostly for show, though they had some practical uses.

1 Like

Ah, that sounds completely realistic and understandable tbh. And pivoting back to the shiny swords bit, if they’re mostly for show, they could absolutely be shiny, as shiny as you could possibly polish them, very high maintenance though.

1 Like

Gotcha. In that case (I really just could not remember if a shiny sword was a defect or not) I’ll probably use a shiny sword as a status symbol while dull swords are far more common. Likely to see clubs and similar weapons in the hands of them dirty peasants of course. Swords are expensive to train.

1 Like

At the risk of seeming presumptuous… if the intention is to use the finer(and shinier) swords as sort of a high status symbol(and presumably then, also rare), while also making sure they are very much functional if necessary, in the context of modern steels and manufacturing methods, might I suggest looking in to “High speed steel”(L6) or “Shock resisting steel”(S5), as a basis? Both are tool steels that have a natural, although slightly different, “shine” to them. But are also incredibly durable(in different ways). Ofc feel free to ignore my unsolicited nerdy suggestion entirely haha, sorry :sweat_smile:

Oh, it’s no problem. I appreciate all advice provided it isn’t given out of malice or snark.

I’m admittedly not a metallurgist so I’d have to do a bit of research on the subject. But it definitely sounds like something I’d be interested in learning about.

1 Like

Spears, man. Dominated warfare for tens of millennia.

3 Likes

Rocks, since the beginning of time.

The heavier weapons like poleaxes could get up to 15kg but swords are usually around 600 to 1500 grams.

1 Like

intense googling to translate into freedom units