Sequels and Series

I’m going to be lazy and answer the first part by quoting myself from another thread, forgive me. :sweat_smile:

In hindsight, I think it generally would have been easier to do a single book instead of launching right into a series for our first publication since it’s a large, long-term commitment right off the bat, but ah well. For this series, I don’t see how it could have been done another way that would result in the same growth or quality.

I’ve always loved series(es?) in general. :sweat_smile: Once I become attached to certain characters, I want to know so much more about them and follow them through additional adventures, so with that in mind, it’s difficult to disappoint me unless the sequels are just awful for some reason, lol. I prefer a reasonable amount of continuity. It doesn’t have to be the same story arc (though it can be) as long as it keeps close to whatever magic hooked me about the first and continues to develop the characters in a way that makes sense. Escalating the risks/rewards for the main character can keep it compelling, as well. It doesn’t happen too often, but I hate when it feels like the makers just start phoning it in after the first one or two.

10 Likes