Do you think that some CoG authors are relying too much on sequels?

Haha, if I jump in, will I be considered a biased source? I hope not! :sweat_smile:

So, @HornHeadFan made great points that I agree with and I will just add my own two cents, for what they are worth. I won’t speak for other authors, but I do want to illuminate some personal reasons why this works that might apply to others. We broke SYP into multiple parts, not for money and certainly not to aggravate any fans, but because…

1. We have other full-time jobs. We love writing, but it is something we have to find time for crammed in along all our lovely, adult responsibilities that, sadly, have first priority. So, breaking them down into individual games gives us a closer goal line to set so that we at least have something out there.

2. We wanted to see if the very concept had any traction at all. While Tony and I have both had some prior amateur success in local writing contests, for example, neither of us had ever published anything professionally and we weren’t 100% that readers would be as fond of the story and characters as we were. I guess SYP was proving to ourselves that not only could we do it, but it was worth it and people would want more. If everyone had hated it, well…at least we hadn’t spent all that time (see #1 above) on one giant, epic novel.

3. Our ideas have changed with time and rewrites. I’m glad SYP has a natural segue point where we could stop, take a breather, and consider all our options for the next part, because I think with some of the feedback we received and having that whole experience under our belt, we will be able to make the sequel even better (more refined coding, implementing greater branching choices, etc.).

In light of all these and the fact that I myself am I HUGE fan of series and also chafe at the thought of waiting for new volumes, we DO post short stories and new artwork for FREE through our FB fan page (forgive my shameless plug? lol) to help tide people over and expand on the SYP universe in ways that we find don’t quite fit the CoG format. We will continue to do so periodically until we have finalized the sequel.

Hope I haven’t overstepped my bounds, here, but hopefully that helps. :wink: Thank you!

8 Likes