Relationship Stat Error

Hello!

I’m trying to create a scenario where the relationship is shown as “Unknown” on the stat screen until the player meets the character and then I want to set the immediate stat as 50 to start out. I’ve managed to have it say Unknown until the player meets them thanks to other topics and tutorials but the starting number stays at zero and I haven’t been able to make it start as 50. Also because of my set up this way I cannot figure out how to allow the player to select the gender. I get an error saying "Not a number: “woman” " or man depending. Can anyone help me? I’d really appreciate it.

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Could you show us the bits of code you have for setting the variables and for displaying them on the stat screen? That would help see what’s happening :slight_smile:

It sounds like you want a variable to be a string (unknown) AND a number.

I don’t think you can do that.

What if you just kept the numerical stat hidden on the stat screen until you want it to say 50?

Of course! The numerical stat can say 50 from the beginning, that would be fine, I was jot hoping it wouldn’t say the name of the relationship yet.

Here is what is on the stat page for it :slight_smile:

And here is what is in the startup text and story for this:

And this:

Of course they don’t quite work. I’ve been using tutorials and whatnot on how to do these so they might be a bit wonky as I’ve tried to put them together. Oh! And yes I use tabs instead of spaces. Not sure if that makes a difference but it is easier for me.

Thanks guys, I’m glad for the quick help :smile:

1 Like

One thing, you definitely need separate variables for the boss’s gender as opposed to the boss’s relationship. You can’t *set boss “man” and then *set boss %+50 because it will try applying the number change to the word.

I’m not sure how well variables handle capitalization, so you will probably want to keep them lowercase to be on the safe side.

I don’t think you want to be dealing with a *temp variable unless you’re only going to use it in a single scene. Otherwise, it’d be best to stick with just *create in the startup.txt file.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

THANK YOU. I finally figured it out! it might not be the best or easiest solution but it did work so I’m going to take it :grin: So I did delete the *temp variable as suggested and I kept almost all the other code I had but I created a new variable for the gender choice with a misspelling of “boss” so I know they’re the same character but different functions. So one of the variables is for the number and the other is for the gender. It worked perfectly!

Thank you guys so much! If anyone knows an easier way that would be nice but this works out perfectly for now :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Yay :slight_smile:

Yep, you’d pretty much have to write a separate variable for each different thing you’re tracking about a character.