Public Domain and Hosted Games

I’m assuming that we’re able to use characters from the public domain for creating hosted games?

1 Like

There are published games in the Hosted Games library that are based on public domain ip.

There are two stories based on Pride & Prejudice alone and one on Cinderella that was just published.

8 Likes

There’s also an Sherlock Holmes WIP which the copyright for them apparently expired today. So if the characters are in public domain, you should be good.

There’s going to be indie horror films based on Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan as well lol

1 Like

There is also a Grinch horror movie that they are making

1 Like

And inspired by Sherlock Holmes, Oedipus, the Odessey, historical figures like the Tudors and Tesla, Lovecraft, Robin Hood, Wizard of Oz, Canterbury Tales and Camelot :wink: (Wow that’s a lot!)

Short version is you can use public domain works as inspiration (or even copying passages like I believe was done in parts of the pride and pred one,) BUT you do have to be very careful you know how to use them properly to not cross copyright laws.

For example the Wizard of Oz one takes stuff from the original books which are in the public domain. If you used the movie as your inspiration, you could get a copyright strike. Another easy example is the little mermaid. If you use Christain Anderson’s version it’s fine. If instead you decide to take the character of a willful red haired mermaid princess who has a chatty fish companion and a boyfriend called Eric, Disney will be knocking on your door. You must always use the original CC0 rated material, not anyone else’s subsequent interpretation of it to stay in the clear.

6 Likes

That’s not in the public domain, however. It is just covered under parody use. They are also strictly restrained on certain names and things to be used (for example, I think he is only referred to as The Mean One).

3 Likes

I actually put together a list last year of all the games based on other stories, and there are even a couple you missed based on public-domain works:

3 Likes

I looked at the wikipedia for that one and you’re right on those. The wiki page for The Mean One says that since it’s an unauthorized parody, they’re not allowed to use the language from the Grinch book, however they are calling the Cindy character “Cindy You Know Who” which sounds too dangerously close to getting sued.

2 Likes

It is clever, though.

2 Likes

That sounds like a good Dr Seuss book with all the rhymes

1 Like

Pretty much answers my question.

Thanks.

2 Likes