Polls about COG, HG, and IF games

It’s not as complicated as you might think.

Using multi-replace and a boolean variable, I do this.

*create skill_check true

*fake_choice
         #Dodge. @{(skill_check = true) [Agility]|}
                 You dodge out of the way.
         #Brace. @{(skill_check = true) [Endurance]|}
4 Likes

Awesome! I Gotta study the multi-replace feature harder. Thank you very much, @AChubbyBlackCat :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t mind if sounds are part of an IF as if I don’t like the sound I turn off the volume :grin:
Sounds can actually make an IF immersive(to me)but if I’m playing and IF that requires high level of strategy and thinking,I’ll turn off the sound to concentrate better

This is just my opinion

@TheGhost thanks for fixing that . I don’t know what went wrong there . I usually prefer the results to be represented in a pie graph though. But don’t worry about it
@Jackpot1776 I share your opinion tactical Ifs are great though sometimes I prefer that I just jump into “battle” without a second thought
@Hannah_Minger I actually thought about your reply and yes I do want to make something tactical but I also want to make something immersive so I decided I make it that the only thing the player does is to hire different troop types(The player can even decide to only hire a particular type of troop)The main effort will be to increase your millitary skills(millitary skills may only come into major use in major battles)in order to select options that will greatly reduce your loss to the enemy .

2 Likes

In a historical-fiction game (I understand this is not a popular genre) where you play as a child of a real-life historical monarch and their real-life historical spouse, would you be okay with playing as a character of the race and ethnicity of that particular ruling family? :grinning:

That was purposely written to be vague so you can substitute any historical empire/nation into the question, so it could potentially also help other people who might be wondering the same thing, but i do actually have a specific time + setting + historical ruler in mind (Genghis Khan) :laughing:, as I’ve been working on a game for a month, but I hadn’t thought to ask this question until now.

How do you feel about a set ethnicity/race in this specific type of games?
  • I would give it a chance
  • I wouldn’t play it

0 voters

Thanks for reading this post! :smiley:

1 Like

My real preference for the personality stats is “other.”

Personally, I’d like to be able to lock in personality stats in the beginning while being able to build them higher–and use those for flavor. But don’t use those stats for choices and give the player full agency to choose.

That said, I have truly grown to hate opposed pairs for stats. Characters can be sarcastic as hell but also be serious when they decide to be. Characters can be intimidating as hell to anyone they don’t know but be pussycats to those they like. Unfortunately, with opposing pairs, your MC gets stuck with one and starts to become a one-dimensional character that is kind of a joke.

8 Likes

How many of the titles from these libraries do you own?

Choice of Games
  • 1 - 5
  • 6 - 10
  • 11 - 15
  • 16 - 20
  • 21 - 25
  • 26 - 30
  • 30+

0 voters

Hosted Games
  • 1 - 5
  • 6 - 10
  • 11 - 15
  • 16 - 20
  • 21 - 25
  • 26 - 30
  • 30+

0 voters

4 Likes

I agree with you, but on the other hand what you’re suggesting is really hard to achieve. The other solution would be not to have personality stats at all.

1 Like

This is how Mind Blind approaching personality.

2 Likes

I chose “I won’t play it” on a caveat:

If you already planned a specific setting, the empire, I prefer to play in that setting instead of a vague setting that could fit your specific setting and others. I’d say: might as well go all in.

4 Likes

I think @dumpling-clouds meant that the question was purposely left vague so as to focus on whether you would play as a fixed-ethnicity character, regardless of what that ethnicity was, not that this would be vague in the game itself. (Obviously you would know who your parents are and what empire you belong to, right? :joy: Otherwise what is the point of using real historical characters? )

3 Likes

yep @Myrtle is right haha ^^ thank you both for taking the time to reply :smiley: i’m glad that people seem to generally be okay with this!

1 Like

Seeing the vote comparison almost makes me wish I hadn’t to be honest. But to me these games are all about immersion and choice, I like to put myself in these games, and having something as critical as this being set seems counter-intuitive to the whole thing. Unless I’ve misread the question you were asking, in which case I’m sorry. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I just got another anniversary badge so now I’m wondering: about how many years have you been on this forum?

• Not a full year yet
  • 1 - 2 years
  • 3 - 4 years
  • 5 - 6 years
  • 7 or more years

0 voters

2 Likes

Lurking or actually a member?
:sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Surprisingly nearly 10 years now.

7 Likes

You did not misread the question at all, don’t worry :laughing: And I completely understand. Wanting to be able to play as yourself is obviously 100% valid and I respect the fact that a really specific ethnicity-lock will turn away some readers.
Thank you for taking the time to reply! I appreciate it.

1 Like

:sweat_smile: I’ve just realized that I don’t own any of the “official” games… just Hosted Games…

4 Likes

Whichever you think is most accurate, haha.

1 Like

I suddenly feel very old to realize I’ve had this account for more than 7 years. :rofl:

9 Likes