Polls about COG, HG, and IF games

Just my 2 cents words: whenever it comes to measurement, I try to avoid, as much as possible, irl scientific measurements. It’s fine to have either imperial or metric, but if you include both, you’re treading a scientific conversion minefield. Might be not a deal-breaker to you, but it’d irk my brain if I see 6 ft (2m) written somewhere.

Start with left/turned/reversed quotation mark, end with right quotation mark. It’s just like what you’ve written above,

And stick with the normal variation. Heavy is used for bold texts, while prime is for italics, but you can use CS’s [b] and [i] tag for that.
Apostrophe (single quote mark) is used for “quotation inside quotation,” or quote-ception.

2 Likes

Yes, I know that the conversions aren’t exact, but for the sake of saying "The monster towered 20 feet (6m) above your head " I think it should do its job quite well. I don’t have a physical idea of what 20 feet, or 60 or 150 means, inside my head it’s like measuring a tree with bananas, what banana? is it somewhat straight? curved a lot? big? small?
I don’t have a visual reference for any imperial unit, so every time I find one I need to make the conversion to have an idea, and that interrupts the story on a great scale (like 1000 feet or who knows how much that is XD)

“” ← so this ones, ALT+34 for start and end, great! Do you know which are the ones that @AChubbyBlackCat showed for the telepathic dialogue?

1 Like

Oh, that’d be apostrophes. The general guideline for apostrophe is for quoting someone as they quote, or the quote-ception. But Black Reaper used it for the telepathic comms despite the guideline, which is totally acceptable if that’s your stylistic choice.

Oh, and the windows alt sequence you might want to see is ALT + 0145 ~ 0148 instead of the dumb quote Alt + 34.

So…

(ALT + 0147) “Hi! how are you” (ALT + 0148) ←normal conversation

(ALT + 0145) ‘Don’t be so creepy with that weird smile’ (ALT + 0146) ← incoming telepathic voice

If that’s right I won’t bother anymore over here. And thanks for all the help.

1 Like

Alright, new problem, this is snowballing a little more than I would like to.

On the syntax highlighter notepad++, the Operators and delimiters.
" " ←this ones do work, the text changes color.
“ ” ←this ones doesn’t do anything.
‘ ’ ←this one doesn’t do anything.
←this ones work fine.

Am I doing something wrong or what? the " " I write with SHIFT + the keyboard key between enter and ; work just fine, and the ‘ ’ “ ” ( ALT + 0145 | ALT + 0146 | ALT + 0147 | ALT + 0148) don’t. :man_facepalming:t2: I just want to review my book :sob:

Why do you need syntax higlighting in dialog in the first place? (As to the chars involved, I believe you can make your own highlighting rules, albeit I’ve never done that.)

Cause I have to reformat the entire book and I’ll like to see the things I have to correct, Sorry, my pc just had a bsod, I supposed to post this another place, not in polls :man_facepalming:t2: .Why the universe hates me like… soooo bad?

Well, Notepad++ highlights " and ’ because they’re used in coding; the default highlighting isn’t built for dialog formatting. You could use those chars, or make your own highlighting rules.

I think you don’t understand, I’m making the highlight rules, I want to highlight everything inside “ ” and ‘ ’, I’m putting those as delimiter styles and notepad++ just shows them as plain text. but the " " work just fine. Why there has to be so many " ” :man_facepalming:t2:?

I’d just opened a random WIP and copied the " " to notepad++, they are the " " of my keyboard, not the ALT + 0147 and 0148 . Every time I do something I end up understanding less than before :man_facepalming:t2:

You’re right, I didn’t understand :smiley: but it seems to me that Notepad++ really doesn’t like those chars, I can’t get them to work either.

Alright, that’s not a problem from my particular notepad++ then.
I’m really having a hard time finding the actual literal symbols that are the one I should use to write dialog and telepathic dialog. I think I’m just gonna quit for today, I’m not getting anywhere with this.

If I’m not mistaken, single quotes are dialogue tags in British English (‘like this’), so for me at least it would be confusing if that’s the symbol used for telepathic speech as well.

4 Likes

That’s good to know, I think I’ll go for the ~ ~ for telepathic non MC voice then. Those symbols gave me too much trouble already.

And honestly I’m surprised for the metric system winning over the imperial, I thought it would be the other way around.
The poll seems pretty disperse though, so I think I’ll do " two meters (6 f) " prioritizing the metric first as it seems it is the most voted unit. And I don’t want to leave anyone out of their comfort by not adding the imperial unit also.

Thank you all.

What word count range do you prefer most from these games?

• Below 100,000
  • 100,000 - 250,000
  • 250,000 - 400,000
  • 400,000 - 550,000
  • 550,000 - 700,000
  • 700,000+

0 voters

2 Likes

Personally I just love massive games. Not to say there aren’t some absolutely amazing games that are only 100,000 words ish, because there certainly are. As with @jasonstevanhill 's Choice of Vampire, it was bloody amazing before this whole latest string of updates, but it has become just so much better as of late. So, at least in my opinion, more is better.

9 Likes

I agree with @Jackpot1776. I love massive games. They take my time and are very entertaining but there are also shorter games that caught my love and respect.

7 Likes

Massive, massive. When I buy an IF, I want to read, which means a whole book, not a short story.

4 Likes

It depends, the book can be massive in scope but if it’s all just incredibly dull filler just to pad out its run time then I’d much prefer a short story. The story needs to be consistently interesting and that is much less likely to be the case the longer a book gets.

15 Likes

Hey everyone,

I posted on the interest check thread about starting a new beginners group for those of us on the forums who haven’t started writing or don’t have any experience coding. It got a few likes, so I assume some people might be interested, just thought it might gain some more traction if I posted it here to see what people thought.

The aims would be to set daily goals to encourage ourselves to write when we might not be feeling our best, and to eventually write a short story if we can. We would also share some feedback and tips with the group if we wanted to show off our writing without the added stress of contests. It would purely be a fun, laid back exercise to practice and stretch our writing muscles.

So, here’s the poll, I’ll leave it open for a day or two maybe, see what people think and judge whether or not a beginners group is a good idea at this time.

Would you be interested in joining a beginners writing/coding group?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

I haven’t added it as an option but I’m not sure if I could run something like on my own as I’m just a fledgling coder and writer myself, maybe not even that. But if you think you don’t maybe need to join the group as a learner but might like to join to help or practice anyways feel free to send me a message. I’d appreciate it.

Edit: I’m already regretting not adding a maybe option.

8 Likes