Polls about COG, HG, and IF games

@The_Lady_Luck Honestly, as long as you don’t go full Ever17 (as in see your favourite characters die in front of you in each route, only for the “best” ending to play it off as a Groundhog Day loop), you’ll be fine in my eyes.

:+1:

2 Likes

That sounds absolutely horrible! :worried:

1 Like

It was. It was simultaneously one of the best and one of the worst VNs I’ve ever read.

1 Like

I voted dislike, but I actually like the idea of achievements unlocking content—in theory. In practice, I don’t think CSGs support that kind of unlock mechanic well.

Replaying content solely to unlock more content is not super fun, so games that use NewGame+ type mechanics typically have ways to minimize the replaying bit. Visual novels have multiple at-will save slots and fast forward buttons. Video games have cloud saves and ways to restart without the game acting like it’s the first time you’ve installed it.

In contrast, CS games generally don’t even have saves at all, let alone hard ones. Every time the player switches devices, wipes their cookies, or accidentally hits the Restart button, that content they worked hard to unlock is just gone. That’s not fun, even if you like unlocking stuff.

I think it can work, but unless the author specifically wants their game to be frustrating, they’ll need to build in some extra features to support it. That could be as simple as making the content unlockable by entering a code into the main menu or as complicated as a system that lets the player jump through/fast forward chapters. But you need to build something, IMO.

5 Likes

One way I have considered using unlocked content/new game+, and I find more okay, is if the hidden content is spoilery. Like, if the game has a big twist fairly late, and then in a new game+ you get extra scenes, that would have spoiled the twist the first time you played, and perhaps the character can even figure things out, and get another ending.

But yes, CS in it’s current form is not optimal for that sort of thing.

6 Likes

If you replay a story multiple times, at least more than 3 times, over a period of time, at least two weeks or more, why do you replay the story?

Sorry if this was done before, I can’t remember for the life of me.

• I like rereading the story because I enjoy playing the route(s) I previously took.
  • I like rereading the story because I enjoy playing route(s) I haven’t explored yet.
  • I like to reread to see all the different variations in the text based on my choices.
  • I like to have completed all the achievements for the story.
  • I do not revisit/replay the game more than three times.
  • I do not revisit/replay the game after two weeks of purchase.
  • Other/Please specify!

0 voters

6 Likes

I often replay games to learn from them.

Whenever I want to look closer at how an author made their game, I usually replay it.

10 Likes

Same here.

Even if I’m just looking at the code, I like to identify what the story did well/did not do well IMO and then just make a mental note of that for my own stuff.

3 Likes

while I like to replay some others routes (Not all), there are some stories for exemple I like to play them cose I like the story itself and the world the story happen .

A good exemple is Pendragon Rising, I always romance Yvaine (never bothered to see the other romances), but I really like the world and wish there was a sequel . I still make a run of it now and then…

2 Likes

I replay a game if I believe there’s a better ending, until I get that ending and only if the game has hooked me. I rarely replay a game, though.

4 Likes

Is there such a thing as too many endings? I know hardly anyone enjoys railroading, but is is to some degree necessary?

• I enjoy railroading.
  • I dislike railroading, but I feel there is an argument for it.
  • I want there to be as many endings as possible.
  • A few solid endings are preferable.

0 voters

1 Like

I guess my short answer about endings is I like it if there are a few significantly different endings, but I tend to not care if the ending is the same with some minor variation (e.g. the ending is identical but with an extra sentence or two saying “and since you adopted a cat, the cat is here too”.) By which I mean if I get the “good-” ending, I’m not going to replay the entire game just to get the “good+”, if you get what I mean.

On the other side of the coin, I generally DO like it when there’s a few “main” endings, and then sort of “Where are they now?” character epilogues that can vary based on your actions and interactions. I guess for whatever reason these feel more meaningful if they’re compartmentalized a bit from the narrative ending? I’ll have to think about that a bit more.

16 Likes

In my new WIP, i spent a couple hours just plotting the overarching story and finished with like 20 something endings. I know I need to trim that waaay back, but is there such a thing as too many endings?

1 Like

I mean, at the end of the day I don’t think I can really answer that question without knowing what the endings are, and how they differ from each other. If you feel like each ending is meaningfully different, and each ending is a logical and emotional result of the decisions that lead up to it, then I say why not? The only real downside I can think of (besides the extra effort that would entail) is having that many endings may discourage a lot of people from playing through enough times to see them all, which isn’t necessarily a problem. I’d be curious what others have to say on that, though.

2 Likes

I don’t enjoy railroading, but I also don’t have much of a problem with it.

If I have to choose between a railroaded, well written story, that has emotional depth and hits all the beats, and a story that has huge branching, but sacrifices structure and impact to be able to do so, I’d choose the first, almost every time.

12 Likes

To quote what I have said before concerning the question of railroading/ending(s) earlier in this thread:

Because these are written by one person - sometimes two - and they are hundreds of thousands of words long, I would argue that there has to be some railroading.

For instance in Dragon Age Origins, the Darkspawn will always defeat Fereldan’s army at Ostagar otherwise the plot of that game would be wildly different.

The branch and return model is the best possible model authors have at the moment because it balances the needs of the author to not have an endlessly growing story and the wants of the reader to have a feeling of control within the confines of the story.

For me personally, I understand when the author railroads you into certain plot points because otherwise their version of the story couldn’t exist. As a reader, I respect the story they want to tell and it’s not my business to tell them how their plot should go.

That doesn’t mean I may enjoy where they may be taking me or how they take me down that route, but if that’s the case then I just don’t bother reading it anymore.

14 Likes

I like a few different ending, but for them to be significantly different.

Or

There’s a handful yes/no factors that don’t impact each other and the answer for each is explained in the end.

1 Like

I felt kinda sad to see so many people against mature content. I think we should have a place for all sort of stories.

3 Likes

What do you mean? We have a section of the forum that’s called Adult Content.

I know. I’m talking about the pool in the first post. A third of the voters thinks that mature content should be excluded.