One Thousand Blooms — (ON HIATUS)

Discouraging criticism of critics?

1 Like

In this case, yes.

If you’ve a problem with their decisions you can always volunteer to be a judge next year. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My disagreement with their choices isn’t strong enough to go that far :slight_smile:

Miss Lycoris -

These words you write were echoed by me to a dear friend of mine yesterday. To put it bluntly… I am hating my WiP right now too. I was considering tearing it up and throwing it away for good too. As I told my friend: My writing is like a child compared to ___ and it makes me extremely upset that my writing is that shitty. (names taken out)

This is hard for me to write publicly but I think it is the right thing to do. I was wrong to get down on myself like a ton of bricks. I think you are wrong doing the same to yourself. If you need, put this work aside for now, work on the Freakhouse or even take some time to feed the pigeons by the Cathedral. …

When I say:

I mean it. This was an exploratory piece to even see if you could enter such a contest… well… guess what? YOU DID and YOU DID A FINE JOB - that is more then I was able to… and your courage (and others that entered) gave me mine to say I will enter next year

So please, don’t tear this up and toss it in the trash bin yet… put it aside and concentrate on your primary project for now … if later after all is said and done you decide to chill this one… then fine but don’t let the judge’s stuff discourage you. Even the winners I know got marks against their works… if your a judge that’s what you do … you mark things down…

Well, I’ve said my piece and whatever you decide, I’ll support you from both a fan of your writing (yes this writing) and from the perspective of a fellow author having her own angst about writing.

Honest to God truth here… I don’t beta test or want to test every author in the world but I chose to offer my services to you because I see a lot of good in your writing and I want to see it continue.

16 Likes

Never got a chance to try this. Yet. :slight_smile:

Regardless of that, @Lycoris, listen to the people here that enjoyed your work - competitions are just that; competing. That always brings out things which makes me personally dislike competitions, I much prefer working together. Guess I have a faulty competitive gene. :neutral_face:

Take a break, but please don’t break - neither yourself nor this WIP. :blush:

And you too, @Zolataya, your writing is most assuredly not shitty, so don’t you dare give up or I’ll sent ants with little feathers to you to find out where you are ticklish. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I hope I don’t miss out on the next update to this, I’m already liking it more than the Seven Heirs of Ophaesia.

4 Likes

My, all of you are so sweet, truly :blush: I’m still a bit iffy about the game (even the name itself; I thought it was kinda smart, because it kinda meant “Poisonous Intent”: poisonous = purple (as in, a toxic color), intent = desire (a want, object, aim) but now… welp). Maybe I’ll also change the name of the WIP? I don’t know :disappointed:

@Cecilia_Rosewood oh, there’s no doubt that someday I’ll pick it up again, but it needs a lot of work :relieved: I want to make the MC’s childhood much longer and give the Faerwald siblings much more agency, so they don’t seem so… flat. Alas, in just a month I couldn’t do that :sob:

@ab2wus aw, you’re a real sweetheart, did you know? :blush: I’ll do that, give myself a bit of time so I can drive away the bad thoughts and then start afresh :relaxed:

@anon4518890 heh, that’s so nice of you :smile: But there’s no need to put down other works to cheer me up :wink:

@LordOfLA you’re quite inspirational :grin: Like, it’s true, grammar/spelling and coding can be totally fixed, though sometimes quicktest does funny things (I totally tried it). Thanks for the encouragement :wink:

@Misa101 that’s so thoughtful of you, thanks! :blush:

@ThroneofTime oh, it’s definitely going somewhere, but it will take a bit of time; after all I have another project going one :slight_smile:

@Pace675 hahaha, don’t feel bad, it’s just that I have the same amount of confidence as a shoe :sweat_smile: I’m not really a fan of competitions ('cause I’m kinda weak willed and all when it comes to pressure), but I know it’s nothing personal; just judges doing their job.

@FairyGodfeather that’s so sweet of you, you’re gonna make me blush! :blush: To be honest, I also felt like taking down ALL the links (though I can’t do anything about the one that’s in choiceofbox :disappointed_relieved: ), but you’re totally right; even in its current state the game is something that should make me be proud of myself instead of ashamed. I guess that I can only move forward and carry on. You’re a peach :heart_eyes:

15 Likes

@Sau_Mei_Ng !!! Bittersweet! I like how it sounds! :blush: Like, I love writing about heartbreaks and (emotional) pain and distress, even though I’m a sucker for happy endings :kissing_closed_eyes: Making characters suffer is fun, and kind of… cathartic? Like, totally worth it! I’m definitely aiming for bittersweet :wink:

@Zolataya heh, again, you’re so sweet :grin: It’s not easy to open up like that, so I’m very thankful that you decided to share a bit of yourelf with me. I’m very honored to have you between the freakhouse beta testers and having your opinion, because people’s input and observations are something that I terribly need; after all I’m hella careless and messy. Thank you very much :wink:

@Taylor_Enean well… if you want to try a (very, very) very buggy version, there’s a demo up in the CSComp winners’ topic :relaxed: And I also have the faulty competitive gene (I guess we have a B type personality?) :space_invader:

@Harian !!! OF COURSE! This WIP may remind the player of The Seven Heirs of Ophaesia rather than Affairs of the Court: Choice of Romance! How could I forget it!? :scream: Silly me :disappointed_relieved:

But no, really, you’re all wonderful :blush: That’s why I like the CoG forum; because everyone is so nice and encouraging that makes you feel very welcomed :smile: I have been in other places that are nasty and the people are plain rude, but here everyone (or almost… there’s always those users that are not very kind) tries so hard to keep everything civil and polite! Thank you, really :blush:

12 Likes

Link doesn’t work… can you fix that ?
Thanks

The title is good, I like it though I admit that I didn’t associate “purple” with poison/toxic but with the colour of royalty which I thought made sense considering that the society seems very stratified and elitist.

2 Likes

This game is almost like the Byzantine Empire’s court just with more intrigue.

2 Likes

Just finished playing it… Wow. And :cry: :broken_heart: too - you sure stirred up my emotions with your writing. Please do keep at it, I just hope there is a chance for happiness. :confounded:

7 Likes

…Or at the very least, a chance for revenge.

2 Likes

Revenge? Against whom, or what? :confused:

Not me, though, nothing good comes from such acts, only more hurt or emptiness. :worried:

But a happy-ish ending, that I’d go for. :grinning: (To each their own, though, being a game and all. :sweat_smile:)

4 Likes

I just wanted to say I’ve played several of the games from the competition, and whilst there were so many great ones this entry was my absolute favourite! This game has tons of potential, the relationship with the mother, the family’s precarious status, the future of the Faerwald siblings, as well as all the lavish balls, romance angst & political manoeuvring… I was surprised to see your post that you’re unhappy with it but it’s understandable if you want to take a break after the competition. I think a lot of us will be eager to see what you do next with this story if you do decide to return to it (I’m personally dying to find out what will happen with my MC & Maetthere after that ending) as well as be willing to help with any bugs or inconsistencies that come up :slight_smile:

12 Likes

The Girl/Guy who dumped you. Who else?

the dropbox link doesnt seem to be working… Is this intentional or something?

A old message from the author explains this (way up there)

@Guhik yup, in part because purple is also related to royalty (in the main post I also explain the relation between purple/green with posion :wink: ), so it fits the game dynamics :grin:

@Branton really? That’s cool, because the demo itself has barely any intrigue out of everything I could put in it. Plus, I kinda suck when it comes to mystery and subtlety :joy:

@Taylor_Enean I love fluff and hapiness, but I can only write heartbreak and drama, which is very weird because I’m not a fan of those themes :laughing: But yes, there will be happy endings :persevere:

@COGZealot yup, revenge and destruction are also an option :wink:

Soon you’ll see that this kind of game has plenty of room for that :smirk:

@Bobcat hahaha, yes, I was very dissatisfied with the whole thing, but I think I don’t dislike the game so much :slight_smile: I’ll work on it to make it much better, but yes, I’m aware that the game itself can be worked to become a proper Hosted game :blush: I can’t say much about Maetthere for now, but… be aware, because I’m going to make him suffer :smiling_imp:

@Drakeye thanks for keeping an open eye :wink:

The demo is available again, though it’s not entirely “official”; in the next update will be very different :smile:

21 Likes

In this demo, when reacting to your friend proposing, is the demo supposed to end there? I always get a bug no matter what choice I choose.

1 Like