NPCs you wish you could romance, but can't

I’m not a fan of incest personally, and don’t find it progressive at all. If CoG starts allowing incest into their stories, I hope there’s a warning. For a few reasons. Like outside of those stories where people unknowingly date their long-lost whoever, I’ve only heard of real life incest in stories of abuse. If some people want it, okay, but I’d like the option to never see a choice to flirt with my baby sibling.

14 Likes

Other than something like the Arthurian mythos, I doubt it will happen. And I agree, if it does, then it should be clearly warned with that.

I do know of one couple in real life who are the exception to this statement. And the reason I know they are siblings is that I went to school with them.

However, I certainly am not advocating CoG to put such things up. I was mostly looking at it from a “this could be compelling to see/etc.”

3 Likes

Certainly, but do remember what happened dangerous heretics and social mavericks like Akhenaten after his death when they basically tried to erase him from history, Pharaoh or no.
Though much like my XoR mc mine would be a heretic in that he’d rather leave an earlier Suez Canal then just another Pyramid as his legacy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m more worried about such topics being explored through their newly developed Erotica label. Supposedly, there will be both “light” material and explicit material published under that label. I hope they give more of a sample to review then they currently do for their titles because I’m much more gunshy with erotica, especially explicit erotica.

As far as Apple, their standards for the ratings are pretty strict - many of these stories, to get the “for everyone” rating do get changes asked of them. For the Erotica material, I’m not sure Apple will allow that to be on their platform.

4 Likes

Exactly :slight_smile: lol I wasn’t coming at it from an incest point of view, I wouldn’t want a game with incest, it’d be needlessly controversial if nothing else. Plus it was a nice, and unique experience to have Tammy from choice of robots as a RO with mental health issues, and haven’t played Z1 in ages tbh, but remember her being quite stoic, also not seen too much of that in COG, same reason I like Casarosta from the infinity series(again not played for a while, but remember him being pretty stoic too :stuck_out_tongue: ). Just checked my old post, and saw I already mentioned River too :stuck_out_tongue: think I put him on my list too in part for his stoicism too, and in general would’ve liked to meet him earlier on for more content.

Yes - as of last week, I believe they were waiting for author submissions. You may no longer have access to the thread since it requires being a “Regular” to see the forum.

Yes, the Apple requirements are strict for unknown or non-popular publishers. Things like 50 Shades and Game of Thrones are the exception, even if it doesn’t seem that way.

I don’t mind serious themes that would require a mature label - even some sexual themed stories would fall under a mature orientated label. The erotica category is something else in my mind. I realize romance is important to many of CoG base fans but when it comes to exploring boundaries within that realm, I prefer a much higher standard and quality control.

A story on the level of Choice of Robots is one thing but if the stories published are of the quality seen recently, I would be very hesitant to purchase them. That is why I hope for a better way to review these “erotica” stories then exist for the “normal” label stories.

Erotica may give authors more leeway in writing but unless they are competent in their execution, the end result will end up worse.

ymmv.

3 Likes

CoG does have 17+ titles, at least according to Apple, including Choice of the Rockstar, It’s Killing Time, and NOLA is Burning.

The rating is not necessarily concurrent with the stories which include more focus on mature themes. (I would argue, for instance, that Hollywood Visionary had a more mature focus than Rockstar, but Visionary is rated 12+ on Apple.)

4 Likes

Sorry, I should have clarified; I wasn’t trying to say it was necessarily a mature story. I do believe it made some effort to address mature themes, both directly and indirectly (racism, governmental powers or abuse thereof, gender expectations), regardless of how well that effort may or may not have come off. But now I’m probably off-topic for this thread…

2 Likes

I’m very guilty of foolishly taking one look at a character and going “oh, I so could romance them”, even if there’s no logical reason for them to be a RO, so I guess it’s not surprising that I had to bring this topic back from the dead… :sweat_smile:

From Hollywood Visionary: Orson Welles. Really, I tried to impress him with my editing chops and everything and it still took me nowhere! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

From Cannonfire Concerto: everyone, really. The stranger you met at the very beginning. The man from the union (Ludwig?), the spy (Henri Requin?), and not that I was very interested in him, but I expected that Aki would be a RO too. Turns out that if you’re playing a straight female or a gay male, your only choice is Zerov.

The one that I really wanted was your arch-rival Ruggiero, though. I know people are probably sick to death of the enemies-to-lovers trope, but just think about the Genius interplay between him and the MC… I could totally see that unexpectedly turning romantic.

An odd thing about Ruggiero is that the ending where you stay enemies feels nicer than the one where you make peace and he retires to go into opera-writing. If he refuses to become friends with the MC, he will own that he was about to give up until he saw you. That turns into a strange sort of compliment as he mentions the MC looking so lively (or somesuch; I really feel I cannot do it justice quoting from memory).

In my opinion, that was the moment for a confession if there ever was one. :grin:

From Trials of the Thief-Taker: the highwayman (Shaver, perhaps?) and the grave robber. I would also have liked a chance to have a proper, refined old courtship when playing a female character too, even if it was still with Miss Whatshername.

(As you can see, half the people I wanna date I can’t remember the name of. :kissing_smiling_eyes: That doesn’t reflect poorly on me, does it?)

5 Likes

I have just one at the moment: Linus in the Butler did it. As it is the sole male RO isn’t really for me.

2 Likes

Honestly none (possibly). Every character I’ve ever wanted to Romance in a game I could. There’s been a few games ( only one I can name offhand. ,) That I romanced nobody. Specifically in the second series of Heroes Rise I considered the plot from a role-play perspective. Two sisters living alone against the world the elder sacrificing everything for the younger. There was only two options. I’ll say Asexual was the answer. I haven’t finished Samurai of Hyuga 4. So I can’t say Masami isn’t Romanceable for sure. But she’s my favorite character in the series. And in every other game I either find an RO or I make my MC completely focused on her work/mission.

Oriana in Heart of the House and the Carly sisters in Broadway

Oriana isn’t a RO? :hushed: I was so sure you could get involved with her (not that I actually tried, though).

1 Like

She was one it just didn’t end happily iirc

2 Likes

Can I say the wolf from Avatar of the wolf? I realize it wouldn’t make a whole lotta sense given we share a body but we would have made it work.

Also West from Vampire. Don’t get me wrong I love Silas to death… no pun intended. But it was kind of disappointing how little a time period we got to spend with our “sire?” I forget the terminology. Especially if we got hitched I mean don’t ask me how a gay wedding between a random irish dude and a mangy vampire could even take place in a church in the middle of the revolutionary war but I would have liked to have seen all the attendees passed out from shock.

3 Likes

Usually the rival/nemesis of my MC, regardless of gender, beauty or age. Or the guy/girl/non-binary pal who seems to be the worst of 'em all (for, example, Jury in the Heroes Rise series :joy:).

I remember playing the Heroes of Myth demo, thinking, “Please let me romance Stephan!” – only to read about his death a couple of pages later. :sleepy:

CoG/HG characters I’d gladly romanced:

• Roshan (Asteroid Run)
  • Woodward (A Study in Steampunk)
  • Tomás de Reyes (Affairs of the Court)
  • Colonel Firesnuff (Tally Ho) :grimacing:
  • Franz (The Eagle’s Heir)

Writing all of these down, I realize I’m simply a messy individual who lives for drama. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Other games:

• Ashley, Jack, Miranda, and Tali as Femshep (Mass Effect)
  • Legion, Mordin, Wrex, Kallo – unromancable (Mass Effect)
  • Morrigan and Cassandra as a female MC (Dragon Age)
  • Aveline, Varric :confounded:, Cole, Sten – unromancable (Dragon Age)
  • Almost forgot, Cullen and Solas should have totally been available to male MCs in DA:I. :nerd_face:
10 Likes

Uhh Varric, I`d wanted to romance him so much in DA2 and DAI. He is just the best.
Oh and Wrex so totally^^

5 Likes

I feel the same way. It probably depends on how you’re playing / interpreting the text, but in my playthrough I definitely got the sense that their maker had converted my MC out of lust, so it would have been nice to actually get some scenes of him lusting after them.

(A plot point is how he’s getting bored of MC, but still. MC says “he desired me once, he will do so again,” and I just kinda have to take their word on that since I never really saw the first bit).

Oooh, I agree with both of those. (Firesnuff, on the other hand… Well, that just would have been hilarious :joy:).

Also, Hyppolyta’s husband from Weyrwood. You know, the one who is barely in the game at all and just kinda shows up in the background in that one scene. The one whose name we never learn. I would have romanced him.

2 Likes

WHY :cry: why can’t the player romance him but a npc?

1 Like

Maybe I’m weird, but I kind of like that? It makes sense that some people aren’t simply interested in the MC but by someone else already? It was like Aveline in DAII, I feel like it helps ground the characters and the world around them by showing that yes, their lives don’t simply revolve around the main character, especially when it comes to romance (where the default state is usually “everyone is into the MC by default”).

4 Likes