Not a number: None

So I just fixed an error with indenting (thanks to those who helped), but now I have a new error.

Not a number: None

Below is the full code. The line number ChoiceScript IDE is highlighting is line 23 here (so the cord1 below *else)

#Gather materials
  (text here)
  *choice
    #Gather Wood (this one is working fine, so I will not post this)
    #Gather Cordage
      (text here)
      *if ((item1 = "Yes") or (item2 = "Yes")
        (text here)
        *set cord1 +2
        *if (time1 = "1")
          (text here)
          *set time1 2
          *goto (label name)
      *if (((item3 = "Yes") or (item4 = "Yes")) or (item5 = "Yes"))
        (text here)
        *set cord1 +5
        *if (time1 = "1")
          (text here)
          *set time1 2
          *goto (label name)
      *else
        (text here)
        *set cord1 +2
        *if (time1 = "1")
          (text here)
          *set time1 2
          *goto (label name)
1 Like

The error message points to a wrong variable, did you create every used variable? I don´t know choice script well, at the moment, but none in other programming languages mostly means that you created a variable without a value

1 Like

Every variable is created & i double checked my none vs no, just to make sure i said the right one

1 Like

Try not putting number variables in quotation marks. That makes choicescript think it is dealing with a string rather than a number variable.

Other note:

*if ((item1 = "Yes") or (item2 = "Yes")

That needs a closed paren at the end.

2 Likes

The issue is you set time1 as both a string “” and then just a number.

2 Likes

The “” had no effect, no errors and worked ok but the same issue came up.

@Nocturnal_Stillness A lot of choices have it like this, but this is the only one having an issue

1 Like

So cord1 is supposed to increase by 10.

if I add “” around the +10, the stats now say: Cordage +10 instead of Cordage 13
How do I increase the number by 10, instead of to +10

1 Like

*set cordage +10 is how you increase the number by 10.

In general, the quotation marks are used for strings, and without, for numbers. You shouldn’t need quotation marks when dealing with mathy stuff.

1 Like

It should have an effect though. As anything in “” is consider a string

So *set books “1” would be considered a string by choicescript

*set books 1 would be considered a number

So if you use *set books “1” and then *set books 1 it should have caused an error. I’m surprised it doesn’t

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s weird that it wouldn’t throw an error. @hexfur, you’ll want to be sure that your created variable is *create cord1 0 if you want it to be a number. (or whatever number you want it to start at.)

1 Like

*create cord1 “0”

That’s how it reads in my *create list. Wood is the same way, but that’s having no problems :frowning:

@Nocturnal_Stillness I’ll remove the “” from some things, see if that makes a difference. I’ve never had a problem with them before but i’m also new to the choicescript ide

1 Like

This issue is replicating throughout multiple other choices now

Apparently, people can read your scenes if you have a game on Dashingdon.com
Here’s the game I’m making, just uploaded the files: https://dashingdon.com/go/3059

1 Like

Yeah, definitely make it *create cord1 0. And do that to all the variables you want to add/subtract from. That will solve a lot of things.

And then, when you have your *if statement, check *if blah = 0 rather than *if blah = “0”, and of course change all of your *set lines to *set blah +10 instead of *set blah “+10.” Oodles of errors will clear up this way. Maybe not the specific one we’re after here, but still oodles down the road.

3 Likes

Same exact issue popped up. Nothing changed :frowning:
& when I’ve set up things like that before, where it adds something, i never put:
*set variable “+10”
because it always screws it up, and makes it Variable +10 instead of Variable 10

1 Like

Yes, right. Then you’ve done it correctly those times to omit the quotation marks.

1 Like

But this original issue is still happening

Edit: It’s only happening with the *else statement part of that choice now

Edit 2: Changed the *else to *if ((((axe1 = “none”) or (axe2 = “None”)) or (fknife1 = “None”)) or (fknife2 = “None”)) or (bknife = “None”)), same exact issue

Ok so I found a way to fix it. I just made a new variable, sharpob, and set it so that if you have any kind of knife it changs sharpob to yes

Is there a reason you’re setting item1, item2 etc. to “yes” and “no” instead of true/false? It would make your life much easier if you used boolean variables.

1 Like