New Hosted Game! "Journey Into Darkness" By Jonathan Clark

Hosted Games has a new game for you to play!

Embark on a Victorian adventure that begins in the heart of London and takes you across the world in a race to obtain a fabled jewel with mysterious powers. Navigate the deadly river Mjaa Nto and twisted jungle paths where danger lurks beneath the surface and around every corner.

It’s 30% off until May 28th!

Journey into Darkness is a challenging 110,000 word interactive fantasy novel by Jonathan Clark, where your choices control the story. It’s entirely text-based, without graphics or sound effects, and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

There are eight full-size color lino-cut illustrations and six smaller handmade stamp illustrations within this text adventure.

Will you beat your rivals to the prize? Can you fight off the dangers along the way? Will you find the right path and the knowledge you need to succeed or will you succumb to the darkness?

• Play as male or female
• Travel to exotic locations.
• Solve the puzzle of the one true path.
• Fight monsters and other horrors.
• Endure the sarcasm of your traveling companions.
• Awaken an ancient cosmic horror.

Jonathan Clark developed this game using ChoiceScript , a simple programming language for writing multiple-choice interactive novels like these. Writing games with ChoiceScript is easy and fun, even for authors with no programming experience. Write your own game and Hosted Games will publish it for you , giving you a share of the revenue your game produces.

10 Likes

While I can appreciate the expense of all those illustrations being added into the game, I can’t help but wonder about this price point for such a small word count. It’s a bold move, Cotton. Let’s see if it pays off.

9 Likes

Excited to play this one

1 Like

This might be the shortest story I’ve played in recent times,but let’s see whether the story lives up to the mark,or not(I’ll be generous,and not rant about the stats,because the stats are what’s every author’s worried about,so,yeah,you get some slack,atleast from my side)

2 Likes

Damn, I can’t find it in Google play store…

1 Like

It should be live! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.hostedgames.journeyintodarkness

2 Likes

Congrats @Jonnysaxc! :partying_face: I had a lot of fun testing this thanks to the mystery of the plot and the replayability of the bad endings (which remind me of the Zero Escape series with the crazy paths and true ending). I’m glad to see this game finally released!

3 Likes

Can’t believe this got all the way to being published and I still don’t know what the function of *line_break is :slight_smile:

The credits are not what I expected so can I please put here what I wrote in the intro that was removed to appear in the credits:

Thank you to my wife who supported me with cups of tea, put up with my moaning about coding things and encouraged me to carry on and to my good friend Wayne who was always on standby to help with technical issues and support.

I was lucky enough to have the help of Myrtle, Jacic and Dartknight with playtesting of the game.
There was also one forum member who supported me from the start with incredible insight and feedback - @expectedoperator Expectedoperator. The game would not be here without them - Thank You!

The following forum members helped me with the coding (a lot!): I would like to thank everyone on the forum for their support. Trevers17, Szaal, Jacic, Dartknight, Kotosinica and GoldenSilver went above and beyond to help with coding questions.

9 Likes

I will not buy this book because the test gave me far too little to get a impression at all

This shows as 50,000 words on the website but 110,000 words on the omnibus.

1 Like

Goodness, don’t know how I can make a typo like that! That has been edited to reflect the actual length of the game. Thanks!

3 Likes