New features in ChoiceScript: *gosub_scene, *goto_scene label

@dfabulich The same thing happens with choices.

@DSeg You’re right! I’ve fixed the bug in the latest version up on github. Thanks for reporting it.

I’ve been trying to use the new “*goto_scene scene label” command, but I keep getting this error:

“UNCOVERED:
771-848 853-871
QUICKTEST FAILED
ERROR: couldn’t open web/mygame/scenes/visit call_alone.txt”

Obviously, the scene is called visit and the label is called call_alone, but I don’t know why it’s not working. I even have the latest CS files.

@Samuel_H_Young
Are you sure you’ve updated ALL your CS files (test files and stuff included), not just the web directory?

@CJW
I downloaded the new version of CS from GitHub

@dfabulich I’ve been wanting to use an upgrade system in the stat screen for a while, but I know any changes made to stats from within the stat screen don’t stick. Would either of these commands allow me to go into the stat screen, and from there go to an “upgrade scene” and once done return back to the stats screen and have the changes made actually stick?

I don’t know. Try it and see? (I’m betting it won’t work, but maybe it will…?)

@fantom @dfabulich
It doesn’t, the only way you can avoid a stat reset is to use *goto_scene from within the stats screen, instead of clicking ‘return to game’ or allowing it to “finish”.

But that takes away the biggest advantage of the stat screen/button (the fact that it remembers exactly where you were before you entered it).

@dfabulich Are there any plans to add support for tables or some other way to display data in multiple columns in futures iterations of CS, or would that even be possible?

1 Like

No plans; I think you’re the first person to ask. What do you want them for?

I was just thinking about if you had a lot of data to display in the stats screen. Specifically I was thinking if you had a character “sheet” like with an RPG. I know currently people just use multiple screens, and that may be the best solution given that you have to keep mobile devices in mind.

@fantom
A pc sheet layout would be sweet. :slight_smile: I have to break mine up into a lot of sections by choices click. Yep but it would a problem to view it all at one time on a mobile.

@fantom
With a syntax something like this?

*table 4 2
   "First Name" "Last Name" "Class/Profession" "Gender"   
   pfirst_name plast_name pclass pgender

I can definitely see its uses, but yes, the formatting might prove a bit problematic on mobile devices…

1 Like

I don’t know what all @dfabulich has to do when a game is submitted to get it ready for publishing, but maybe a simple boolean like “mobile_device” that when set to “true” will display the contents of a table going from top left to top right and down in list form?

@dfabulich FWIW, I can definitely envisage uses for being able to list some info (especially numeric data and short strings) in neat columns rather than as long strings of irregular (and therefore messy) length. This to my mind would be one of those ‘add it and they will come up with ways to use it’ features, enabling more ‘game’ behind ‘the story’. Not by any means vital, just another cool addition to a flexible system - time allowing, of course.

@dfabulich
Wondering if this a bug or just something I am not allowed to do. In the stat screen I have skills choice. Clicking it does a *gosub_scene skills. Once they are done then it has a page_break and then *return. This works as it should. But once back to the stat screen clicking the Return to game just bring the stat screen back up over and over. So I cannot return to the game. Thanks for clarifications.

@LordIrish
It’s a bug. Probably not likely to be fixed soon. :frowning:

@dfabulich
Thank you for lettimg me know.

@Lordirish
I just pushed a new version of ChoiceScript to Github that should now work correctly when you *gosub_scene in choicescript_stats.

Note that you still can’t update any stats in the stats screen; that’s a separate problem. (I’ll write more about it later, at some point.)

I have noticed a hickup while using the gosub_scene and hide_reuse. When the page returns from the gosub_scene the hide_reuse is reset. I am working around it with t/f for now. Not a big problem, just thought I’d point it out.