Method for game design/writing and how long does it take?

scrolls to the next *label

Oh, hey, I should add another word here. And put a comma there. Also I can probably shorten this code further.

Uhh, what was I doing again? :sweat_smile: presses Ctrl+S compulsively

The real question is, does anyone find debugging fun?

4 Likes

I do! Thereā€™s something satisfying about cleaning up code. I tend to enjoy revisions more than a first draft, too - itā€™s nice having something more than a blank page to work with.

4 Likes

Thanks for your reply @HannahPS :slight_smile:

This is the closest to how I have been going about things so far. Whilst I havenā€™t really written a proper story yet, I have been experimenting with the code and stat changes using placeholder text and making sure things work properly before adding a more polished narrative.

Appreciate the link - that will come in very handy, thanks! :smiley:

ā€˜Cmd + Sā€™ may have developed into a nervous tick at this point :laughing:

code_meme

5 Likes

CtrlS

Sometimes I do it even when Iā€™m not coding. But yeah, itā€™s funny until it happens to you.

4 Likes

Out of curiosity; do you code in CSIDE, Notepad++, or Chronicler?

Oh my god. I procrasinate too much, and then sometimes I just really canā€™t write. I have the plot figured out and stuffs but I just canā€™t write it. Problem is length too, if I feel like I donā€™t describe much or make it feel like Iā€™m not pointlessly clicking through only for someone to finish the game in 20 minutes or less.

My method for writing isā€¦
ā€œLetā€™s not do that today- Yeah, this- nah, Iā€™ll do it tomorrowā€¦ maybe another time, eh today will work. writes 5 words, ehā€¦ letā€™s not do that today.ā€

1 Like

I use Sublime Text 3. I cannot remember why. I think I must have downloaded it when I started out programming HTML and stuff.

Try using CSIDE. That is what I use. It automatically formats everything and compiles your project so that you can play it instantly. It also detects any syntax errors your code might have on runtime.

1 Like

Thanks @CyberFox I will definitely look into it!

a-whole-new-world

2 Likes

I use Notepad++ with a slightly modified Choicescscipt language-highlighting plugin.

I outline first, then most often write text and code at the same time. Sometimes Iā€™ll add the code first, then fill in the text later, but I only do that if Iā€™m not in a head-space to write properly.

1 Like