Master List: Links for Beginners

The best thing to do is to start with the basics. Use the links up top in the first post to get you started. There are also some good youtube tutorials for starting from scratch. And the wiki is a great resource for questions as well.

1 Like

Don’t just do the tutorials; write down the code you can use and the rules you need to use it.

Also, indents. For the love of god, indents.

2 Likes

Hey, I’m looking to start making my own MCG and am currently new to ChoiceScript, so I was wondering if someone could give a couple of tips while programming and a couple of possible genres to base off. Thanks :sweat_smile:

Start simple.

Make a mini-scenario game to get yourself familiarized with CScript environment.

3 Likes

For genres, superhero and fantasy are definitely popular ones. Steampunk or romance also work for a lot of people.

2 Likes

Hmm okay, been running a few test runs here and there but still trying to get everything down but is there like a vid on CScript? I’m more of a visual learner so watching a tutorial might speed me through the learning process

Been playing Hosted and CoG games for about 3-4 years now and I noticed that fantasy genres dominates the Google Play library so I guess that’s a no no right? Unless I manage to cook up a hell of a story. Are there any games or books on steampunk that you could suggest? Would love to learn more about it

Here’s a vid which should fit for super-beginner on CScript coding.

hmmm how do i use word 2016 for making a game??

Word Processors (MS Word, Open Office Word, LibreOffice Writer, etc.) aren’t recommended if you plan to code. Use text editors instead.

1 Like

Does anyone have any advice for someone who might be interested in writing a game in the future? How much programming experience must one have? I apologize if this is in the wrong place, I’m very new to the forum.

Can you install Nodejs 10 on Chromebook?

You don’t need any programming experience. Choicescript is made to be accessible. If you go through the tutorials, and test things out yourself, you should be able to get a hang of it with some patience.

Sure some programming experience will ease you into it a bit quicker, and it may also help if you are trying to implement some complicated mechanics into the game, but you don’t need complicated mechanics to make a good choice game, in my opinion.

1 Like

I’m having difficulty using this on Chromebook. I installed node.js v12.180 but when I edit the text, there seems to be no way of gauging if I’m doing anything correctly. What the ChoiceScript describes is not happening.

@moderators Hey, so… apparently I’m able to edit this thread, and I definitely shouldn’t be able to do so. :eyes:

It’s a wiki, the general rule of thumb is that you don’t edit them without permission from the OP.

After a certain point, without turning OPs into wikis it locks them out from editing the title and such. So to get around that we convert them into wikis. Unless the OP is a Leader- then they can do it themselves without it being a wiki.

2 Likes

But I thought you could lock and unlock them at will. Why would you need to leave it open? :thinking:

We can lock the thread but that just means you can’t post in them.

That doesn’t do anything involving editing the OP.

2 Likes

Hmm. That seems kind of like an oversight on the software tbh. It seems odd to allow anyone to edit the OP like that.