March 2024's Writer Support Thread

For this month, I would like to conclude the last bits of Villain Juice! chapter 5 and ideally get through chapter 6 too.

However there’s first the little matter of my marriage this Sunday, which, you know. might just take precedence.

17 Likes

There are a bunch of little things I want to work on this month, so my goal for March: 15,000 words. Now I better go write the first 500! :laughing:

10 Likes

How exciting! Congratulations! :two_hearts: :tada:

4 Likes

Hopefully you won’t get too many supervillain fights there! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Very true. Balance is key. Going on tangents and exploring not-yet-outlined threads of thought is one of the things I love about writing, so I’ll probably keep doing it, if only to get all my ideas out. It’s really more a matter of keeping things in the realm of “what I can realistically pull off in the time frame that I want.”

On that note, tangents are a gold mine for side stories and AUs.

6 Likes

I understand that all too well. It took me many months to get to the oasis of “finish-line”, so don’t despair. I know you and you’ll get here, I promise :revolving_hearts:

Congrats in advance! May Sunday and the following weeks provide you with inspirattion and maybe even some reference sources for when you need them. :crystal_ball:

March is starting out spicy, isn’t it?

. :hot_pepper: :fireworks: :firecracker:

8 Likes

Last month’s final total was 53k, which surprised me as I feel like I spent a lot of time outlining and coding for the WIP rather than always writing it. February’s goal was to finish the routes for Chapter 1 and I did! Even got a good bit of Chapter 2 started, which is more than I expected to do.

This month’s main goal is to finish the routes for Chapter 2.

As a secondary goal, I’ve been looking at my old projects and I was thinking of reworking one as an IF. It should be easy enough as it’s finished already, but would need some work to change it into a proper IF. I’m hoping it makes for a good break from my WIP and I can do a chapter or two this month

10 Likes

MARCH GOALS:

• Finish Chapter One of Phoenix Rising- Please, please, please, please. TAT Please.
  • Get posts on the Nascent Souls Tumblr up to May.
  • Get the game to a point where I can ACTUALLY POST AN UPDATED DEMO, GODDAMMIT. – PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
  • Bonus at work again, because at this point my job depends on it.
  • Keep up with my Accountabili-Buddies so that we all make progress on our games. @RascaldeesV2 & @Phenrex . Also looking for more accounta-bilibuddies too! Apply now!

Progress on my 2024 goals

• Complete Phoenix Rising
  • Begin Editing Phoenix Rising
  • Participate in at least 1 game jam
  • Complete at least 1 game jam
  • Learn Spanish enough to be able to use it at work (earn a $2 raise by doing this)

I’d be interested to see what everyone uses to plan/corral their User Experience Elements so that they don’t explode. Or how they plan them. Stuff like that just interests me.

This sentence viscerally hurt me. I know this sentence in my bonessssss.

THATS WHAT I USE!!! AND, AND, AND! I just discovered something SUPER HELPFUL. It’s called “Stickyscroll” and it is GODLY.

((ITS SHOWING YOU WHAT CHOICES LEAD TO THIS SECTION, IN A LITTLE FROZEN PANEL, SO THAT YOU CAN KEEP TRACK OF WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARE IN THE CODE))
(for those who want to learn how to use it and what it’s good for:

This is actually making me nervous about my game too. TAT

That’s a hell of an unpopular opinion. XD You’re brave for saying such things on the internet. XD

THIS IS 90% of how I get my story ideas.

I CHOKED, this hit me so hard. TAT

MARRIAGE! CONGRATS! HAHAHAHA OMG, HAPPY MARRIAGE BLESSINGS TO YOU!!!

13 Likes

Thank you. I certainly hope I’m not just spinning my wheels, but I know things are getting ticked off the list. It’s just… long haha.

Also does anyone know what the deal is with the “404 failed to load game data” error? Is it just a Dashingdon thing that happens sometimes, or is it something I can fix? I’ve had a few players running into it. The scene is not long enough that it needs to be split or anything; I’ve encountered that before but only at much higher word counts, and there’s really nothing in particular going on with the code at the place they’re hitting it. (It’s just after a normal page_break, with really no other code in the spot.)

6 Likes

Abby explained the 404 error this way the other day:

So the best thing to do would be to let Don know on his thread, or perhaps one of those helping him. I don’t know the status of things with Dashing or Moody, currently.

6 Likes

I use old fashion outlining and idea bubbles to form a plan, then I use mock-ups and placeholders in the game as I work on the layout of the stat pages and header placement.

I have not yet found a computer-aided app or online resource that gelled with me.

6 Likes

Couldn’t sleep, so might as well write my goals down. This month I hope to finish Act 1 of The Last Riftwarden. All I need is a little exploration content, a battle scene and an introduction of a new character. I have the outline planned, but to write it down will definitely involve some changes to my plan. Let’s hope I don’t derail myself.

9 Likes

Advice for spicy scenes?

3 Likes

Don’t go more detailed/lengthy than you’re comfortable with or feels fun to write. And even when not bringing comfort into the equation, less is often more.

14 Likes

Reading other writers’ goals is a great insipiration. Makes me ask myself what about me?
I hope to finish Chapter 3 and 4 this month.
I have been stuck at 3 for a long time, and seeing how good you guyz are doing inspires me to give more time to mine.
So I don’t wish you a good month, wish you a **Great One.**:sun_with_face:

8 Likes

What @HarrisPS said. Also, revisions are key in my experience. When I was first getting used to writing spicy scenes I’d go overboard, then read them again later and be like, yeah THAT needs to be toned down.

I like finding a place between emotion and physicality where you can communicate what’s going on between the characters. Where is the feeling and how do we, as readers, get to observe the depth of connection? Even if it’s a casual act, there can still be underlying emotions playing out. Also, giving the player choices of how far they want to go and what they’re willing to have their character experience (do or say) is a good policy in IF.

Have fun with it! :fire:

12 Likes

It’s my first time posting in one of the support threads, though I’ve read through them for months now. Hello, everyone!

I managed to meet my goals for my WIP last month–primarily, to finish and upload the first part of chapter 1. This month my main goal is to finish and upload the rest of the chapter. I’m also currently wrestling with personality stats for what feels like the hundredth time. Hopefully I can settle on stats that feel good to me and focus in on writing again.

15 Likes

I keep making my chapters bigger than intended. I could skim a part to the next chapter, but the way I write works on an outline where specific things need to happen in specific moments, so it makes it hard to rework tangents when they wouldn’t make sense outside of where it is currently in the grander scope of the story

Then again, I’ve heard of IF writers making a single chapter 50k words due to variations, so maybe I’m fine with my baby-mode 10k word tangent. I’m almost definitely overthinking things.

9 Likes

^^ This is a whole mood. Though I tend to outline fewer chapters with more in them, so I guess I set myself up for it.

My longest chapter in TMP was (checks notes) 65,000 words. :melting_face: That’s almost long enough to be a novel. I do believe it started out as 40k, but with revisions and beta feedback it grew. A lot. It was the last chapter in the game, so :woman_shrugging:

I also write quite linearly. I make notes as I go as to where I need to bring threads into scenes in the future, but I don’t jump around much as I write because I need to know what happens and how in order to keep track of everything in my head. So if there’s a part that I’m getting stuck on, I persevere, chipping away until I get past it.

My opinion: IF was born for tangents if you can fit them into the world, story, and characters’ interests. If the tangent makes you happy, chances are it might make others happy, too. Don’t kill your darlings, invite them all to play! (YMMV - please do not mistake this for advice.) :joy:

17 Likes

Absolutely. :slight_smile:

10 Likes