*line_break and proper CS lineation

This is my practice as well.

1 Like

I agree with everyone saying that the second example is far easier to read.

(From a technical standpoint, you can find/replace *line_break with [nothing] across files in Notepad++, so it doesn’t need to be a terrible process of going through all your scenes individually. *line_break is always on its own line, right?)

1 Like

after a lot back and forth, personally I decided on this approach:

I’ll keep *line_breaks in dialogue when the dialogue bits are short, to look e.g. like this in the game:

"Smartass." You smile and gently box ${kidtheir} shoulder.
"Still nervous?" ${kidthey} @{c_plur ask| asks}.
"Of course...

but break up dialogue bits with longer stuff:

"Told you the lines are warded off." Powerhouse looks at you rather amused. "What, did you think I was lying?"

You frown a little to which he wrinkles his already crooked nose, smile faltering.

"None of this makes sense," he frowns back. "No way in through the lines, and the windows are all dark. Want my opinion, (MC). This' a bad joke."

"But who'd play a *joke* like this on the two of us?" You wonder. "I mean, there's not any particular connection there."

Powerhouse snorts. "We're both heroes. The past two years got enough folks fed up with us."

"And you think," you wonder, "there's anyone who's specifically pissed at the two of us?"

Powerhouse just shrugs. "Couldn't name someone. But Hell knows *this*..." he pulls down the lower lid of his non-human eye "...is enough to make me a bit of a target to some assholes."

As I have a lot of rather short dialogue bits, using gaps the entire time makes things read like a very, very boring list of letters.
So, to me, this is the best approach for my style of writing.

(so basically: if it stretches the codebox on the forum, it gets a gap)

I’d personally go

[b]HAIR COLOR:[/b] Black / Dark gray [n/]
[b]EYE COLOR:[/b] Hazel [n/]
[b]HEIGHT:[/b] 181cm (5'9) [n/]
[b]WEIGHT:[/b] 84kg (185lbs) (estimate) [n/]

because it looks a lot nicer and better resembles the output.

2 Likes

True, but this is old code and I didn’t know [n/] was usable. I may update in the future since I agree it’s better.

1 Like