Legions of Rome - A Interactive Historical RPG (INPUT NEEDED)

@mattnoel No I mean in school as in with homework I’m a sphmore. And look at the review your game should be ther in a few. ~O)

@Henry_de_awsome

Oh ok please excuse my stupidity and I’ll go look now.

@mattnoles Pleese keep me updated I’d be happy to do a review for updateds as well.

@Henry_de_awsome

Yeah you will definaetly want to do a review for the coming updates and when I add the other scenes onto it. I think I’ll just code all night and should have the next bit ready by morning.

If you do go ahead with adding a gender option (And I strongly urge you to) I would absolutely definitely love to play this game to death. Romans are seriously cool people, with their super-disciplined armies and all that.

Admittedly their historical actions, cultural mores and foreign policy are basically horrendous (They popularised misogyny in Europe thereby essentially inventing the Patriarchy we’re still stuck with today, for example), but if you do include a gender option we can assume that this game is set in an alternate universe where some of the less savoury behaviours of the Romans did not occur, which I think would make an excellent setting for a CoG.

Can’t wait!

@Canisa I am working on putting in the gender choice right now. It should not affect my plot at all so I’m really glad I can please female gamers and also not disrupt the historical flow of what I’m doing.

I totally agree with your statements about Roman culture, actions, morals, and they really laid the ground work for political corruption.

What year? Thie is pretty good

If you’re going to make them fantasy Romans you might as well not even call them Romans, it’ll just be annoying to people who like historical accuracy. Romans, like everyone else in europe at the time, didn’t treat women with much respect. That’s a fact. If you’re going to make a historical game, you can’t just ignore that or it’s not a historical game, and pretending it is is just a little bit insulting. Like portraying Nazis but only touching on their love of country and snappy uniforms while ignoring the fact that they were racist bastards.

And before someone says it Godwin’s Law states the inevitability of a Nazi comparison. That’s it.

They will not be fantasy Romans. There will be a gender choice but it shouldn’t cause that many problems with my plot. As far as Roman society and their fairly regular abuse of women, I have a plan for it. There may be places where the player is faced with things like abusing the opposite sex or perhaps accepting corruption. Then you can choose to either go along with the obviously wrong act or challenge it.

Then it keeps to historical accuracy, but doesn’t put the player in an awkward position they may be uncomfortable with.

The idea of a Roman CoG is great. During the story I did notice a few spelling and grammar errors, but I’m guessing you’ll go over it in detail later. You mentioned in this thread that the first choices are very important later on - I would presume this refers to the way you address your men. As this is a big choice, perhaps make it clearer by specifying the tone for each choice - for example:
*choice
#Wake up men (calm and collected)
#You’re burning daylight! (logical and loud)
#Wake up you worthless pieces of lard (aggressive and disgusted)

Or similar…

Using pictures is great, although the style changes throughout. If they are all your own pictures, then great. If not, then I’d advise against pulling images from google as a lot of content is copyrighted. It might be an idea to ask through the forum for someone to do some artwork for you - I’m sure there are plenty of budding artists on here.

Overall, so far so good. I look forward to seeing where you go with this!

@andymwhy

Ok thanks. I will definetly go back and take a look at those choices for your men and tweak them.

I really do need an artist for this game. If any are out there and want to help I would greatly appreciate it. I would need quite a few pictures made for the entirity of the story, but we’ll take it in stride.

What Canisa said.

@Person

This is set in the first centruy AD, during the Roman Empure’s “golden age”. It was a time of great accomplishments, military victories, and good emperors.

@Shoelip Meanwhile, the Celts and many other “barbarian tribes” had a society more gender equal than the Romans. Funny how it is the civilised empire who is full of shit and then they forced that shit after conquering these European tribes. Given how many prominent women show up in the historical record around the period before the Abrahamic religions showed up, the world South and East of Europe probably was relatively good with women’s rights too (except China and most Egyptian dynasties). Patriarchy has done a pretty good job of revising history to make it look like it’s always been around, but it really hasn’t.

@Mattnoles It would be best if you could avoid depicting discrimination against the opposite sex at all, but if you have something to say about the situation instead of going about it in an exploitatory manner, then that could be interesting. I don’t see a reason why you can’t have fictional fantasy Romans which reflect much of the society of the time without the sexism. That’s basically what I’m doing :stuck_out_tongue:

@scarletgeisha

Thanks for your input and I agree. The plot and story revolves as of now mainly around the military roll of a roman legionary. Politics and social issues may be touched on later as you become a prominent general, possibly a senator later.

I guess I havn’t really said this but it is very focused, especially in the beginning on the fighting of the roman legions.

****EXPANSION UPDATE****
@Henry_de_Awsome
@Shoelip
@scarletgeisha
@andymwhy
Here is the greatly expanded story with a very rough chapter two that will be spell checked and polished later. I really wanted to get this out there so you guys can get a feel for the combat I envision for this game. Feedback is welcome.

Play here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48368297/Legion%20of%20Rome/web/mygame/index.html

This one has potential, I really like your use of images

@mattnoles I agree with Canisa, though your idea of putting the female characters on misogynistic situations and let her ignore or act against them is pretty interesting.

From what you have up so far I find it very interesting and would love to see this one play out.

@voodooDolly
I’m going to go with letting the character go with or against the events. Therefor letting them go with historical accuracy or play it in a parallel way of fantasy.

@RockyBou
Thanks and I’m glad you liked it. How did you feel about the ambush? I wanted some direct feedback on that in particular.

Expect an overhaul to character creation and a much more smooth game by the end of the week. I am going to attempt to stomp out all spelling and grammatical errors and liven up the prose a bit.