Is CoG considering selling games in the Epic Game Store or on Discord?

Short answer: maybe. Longer answer: I’m more interested in seeing us get on Switch than any other platform, but these decisions are well above my pay grade.

15 Likes

The Nintendo Switch? Hey, that would be groovy.

https://developer.nintendo.com/

Edit: Actually, I think it would be easier than expected given that the Nintendo Web Framework apparently likes HTML5 just fine (see image below):

nintendo

I think all the company would need to do is register as a developer (I think there’s no annual fee), make an omnibus, self-publish it on the Nintendo eStore, then market it.

@dfabulich

4 Likes

CoGs and HGs on a console? Very neat. In your opinion, you think it’s likely we see that or any other new market added next year, or is it more a “Stay the course, thousand points of light” sort of year, to use an extremely dated SNL reference?

3 Likes

lol RIP GHWB

I don’t know what 2019 will be like, I’m sure Jason will have more to say in his next State of the Company post. Certainly we want to stay the course, but we’re also launching Heart’s Choice in 2019, we’re working on more Omnibus stuff, etc etc etc. I mean, we’ll have put out 20 games this year. That’s…a lot. We put out 13 games in 2015 when I joined the company, 12 in 2016, 16 in 2017, and now 20. Next year we might put out 25 games, including HC. Who knows!?

And @Carlos.R we know how to do it, no need to tag Dan.

6 Likes

It’s a wonderful idea, Mary. Definitely holiday bonus kind of wonderful. :smiley: :heavy_dollar_sign:_:heavy_dollar_sign:

1 Like

Have you or would you consider approaching Humble Bundle? I think COG and Hosted games would do well there.

We’ve talked about it. Not sure that it’s on the immediate list of things to do. We’ve been really busy dealing with the Omnibus and going to other platforms is just not #1 on concerns or things to try, AFAIK.

That would be awesome. It would be great to play CoG/HG games on the Switch. And it’d work so well too, because of the portability of the Switch and how easy it is for the player to save/pause a CoG/HG game and then just pick it right back up later.

2 Likes

You could also consider Itch.io Though that might bring more direct competition with the visual novel market.

I know, I know…but they support PC. Right now Steam is the only PC platform and it’s pretty shit and doesn’t allow all CoG releases on it. Like just recently “the butler did it” for example.

1 Like

Thanks for all the suggestions of alternate platforms, everyone. We’re aware of what’s out there, and as I said, no immediate plans for joining any of them. We’ll keep you posted.

9 Likes