Input Player Name [Resolved]

I’m having difficulty with the input_text function. It’s the beginning of the game, so I’m doing the typical ChoiceGames thing and having the player input the character’s name. When I test it, everything goes fine until I click “Next” after typing in a name.

(Another note: I’ve added the name to the stats screen, and when I check it after the error comes up, the name’s in place)

So…what gives?

Can you paste in the relevant code?

3 Likes

You’re going to have to explain what the error you’re getting is.

The error I’m getting is: startup line 95: Invalid expression, couldn't extract another token: “$!{player_name}”

The beginning variables are coded like this:

*create player_name 0
*create Leadership 50
*create Intimidation 50
*create Reputation 60
*create Charisma 50
*create Survival 50
*create Martial 60
*create DogSaved false

and the input is coded like this:

Type your name here
*input_text player_name
*set player_name “$!{player_name}”

The error doesn’t show up until I actually type something in.

1 Like

I’m not positive, but perhaps it’s because you created player_name as a numeric variable but you actually want it to be a string? Try:

*create player_name ""

and see if that helps perhaps?

EDIT: Oh I lied! It’s because you’re using curly inverted commas—you want ‘straight quotes’, not ‘smart quotes’.

This:
""

Not this:
“”

3 Likes

I suspect both the curly punctuation and creating player_name as a numeric variable are the problems.

Good catch on the curly inverted commas, @Fiogan! I would not have thought of that.

1 Like

Oh…TextEdit automatically turns straight quotes into curly quotes. Do you know how to fix that?

Try checking under edit/substitutions/ in the menu and make sure ‘smart quotes’ is not checked. That should do it, I think.

1 Like

Ah, that fixed it - thanks!

2 Likes