If It Please the Court - Heart's Choice - BETA TESTERS NEEDED

Seduce and surveil as a sexy royal spy! Gather intel, or gamble on love in 18th-century Versailles. Who will catch your eye: a spymistress, a poet, or a traitor to the king?

“If It Please the Court” is a 242,000 word interactive lesbian romance novel by D.C. Chaudron, where your choices control the story. It’s entirely text-based, without graphics or sound effects, and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

You’ve been recruited from the slums of Paris into the Secret du Roi, Louis XV’s league of covert emissaries and spies. As a spy for the court, you now have the power to change your life–and tip an unstable country toward transformation.

It’s one thing lie for a living, but your love life demands honesty. And women all over Versailles are ready to lure your heart. Will it be the spymistress with a lifetime of secrets, the poet languishing in the shadow of the queen, or the double agent haunting your every move? No matter who you pursue, you’ll have to survive a rival’s hostile ambitions, and see that the Crown doesn’t crush yours.

Love and loyalty is all that will be left when this house of cards falls. Who will you protect to ensure a better future, and who will you sacrifice? When your mask falls away, will anyone trust the person underneath?

• Play as female or nonbinary, as cis or trans.
• Experience sapphic romance in the 1700s: play as lesbian, bi, and/or asexual.
• Generalize or specialize: hone your senses, master disguise, pen the finest letters, wield a duelist’s blade, and woo with a silver tongue.
• Empower the crown, subvert the king, or betray France to its enemies.
• Reunite your family, expose your father’s past, or sever all ties.
• Take a slow burn path for romance or cut to the chase with seduction.
• Stir a revolution among the citizenry, or fall in with the nobles.

Directions for beta-testing:
Email us, beta AT choiceofgames for access. (This changed several months ago, so take note if you haven’t beta tested in a while.)

• Do not send me DMs/PMs through the forum mail system, Discord, text message, carrier pigeon, or any other method than email.
  • When you send your EMAIL, include: – the game you want to test in the Subject line of the email. – your forum-name – your real name (first and last) — if your family/surname comes first, please indicate that. I will assume that your given name is listed first unless you tell me otherwise.
  • Do not email us multiple times about joining a beta. If you don’t email us as soon as we post a beta, you go into a queue. As we post new drafts, we admit more people from the queue. Eventually, we will get to you.

When you have been admitted to the beta, we will send you a link, a username, and a password as a reply to your email.

When you have feedback to submit:

• Return feedback to beta@choiceofgames, preferably part of the same email thread/chain, rather than a new one.
  • Please send screenshots or copy/pasted quotes as often as you can; it helps us track down whatever observation you’re making. In particular, the author may see things that you don’t, and/or the screenshot may contain more information than you realize.
  • If you’re submitting feedback using the Bug/Submit button in the game, make sure you include your handle/name in the body of the email. The Submit button obscures your email address, and I can’t give you credit for feedback if I don’t know who you are.

DO NOT POST ASKING WHAT THE BETA EMAIL ADDRESS IS. The first test to becoming a beta tester is inferring what it is based on the above paragraph.

Lastly, you cannot be testing two games at once. Send feedback on one and you can apply to another.

Tips on How to Give Feedback
I’m looking for “high level” and “low level” feedback. Not mid-level feedback.

Low-level = typos and continuity errors. A continuity error is when a character’s gender flips, or someone comes back from the dead, or you run into a plotline that just doesn’t make sense (because it’s probably a coding error).

For these low-level issues, screenshots are very helpful. If you see a problem, take a screenshot, or copy and paste the text that is in error, and email that.

“High level” feedback has to do with things like plot, pacing, and characters. “Scene A didn’t work for me because x, y, and z,” is useful feedback. “B character was entirely unsympathetic, because u, w, and v,” is also useful feedback.

“Mid-level” feedback describes things like grammar, style, word choice, or the use of commas. As I said above, I do not want mid-level feedback. In particular, DO NOT WRITE TO ME ABOUT COMMAS.

“I had a great time and saw only a few spelling errors,” is not useful feedback. In fact, it’s the sort of thing that results in you not being given access to future betas.

Some examples of useful feedback
In Choice of the Dragon, you get to choose what type of wings you have: leather or scaled. Someone wrote in and asked about having feathered wings. Great suggestion! Done!

In “The Eagle’s Heir,” someone asked about Eugenie. They said that the romance moved too quickly–because she only appeared in the last third of the game–and wished they could have had an opportunity to meet her earlier. So the authors added an opportunity to meet her and start the romance earlier in the game (in a scene that already existed).

In “Demon Mark: A Russian Saga” several people commented on how the PC’s parents were unsympathetic, so the authors added a choice or two to deepen the relationship with the parents in the first chapter, to help better establish their characters.

Similarly, pointing out a specific choice and saying, “this is who I imagined my character was at this particular moment, and none of these options seemed right for me. I would have liked an option to do X instead,” is also really helpful feedback.

Another useful piece of feedback: if you choose an #option and then the results of that #option don’t make sense. Like, if you thought an #option might test one stat, but it seems to have tested a different one.

49 Likes

Why exactly do betas need our full, real name?

4 Likes

With reference to this post below, this is help log the number of beta testers. Your name may also be credited in the game, but that’s left to your discretion

4 Likes

This thread is not for posting in.

5 Likes

New draft posted! Make sure you clear your cache, and look for v. 22498

• Fixed typos.
  • Adjusted names for proper French accents and historical spelling.
  • Removed improper page breaks.
  • Certain default relationship values were changed.
  • Tweaked some test values.
  • Fixed broken surname variables.
  • Fixed a broken given name variable.
  • Incorrect jumps and gotos edited.

New draft posted! Make sure you clear your cache and look for v 22530 on the About page.

• Many fixes reported so far!
  • Fixed incorrectly formatted chapter headers.
  • Fixed accidental name duplication.
  • Fixed incorrect accents.
  • Corrected typos.
  • Fixed exposed Keen Senses skill check.
  • The faction charms should now be delivered by the correct factions.
  • Adjusted Justine’s variables to make her endstate display properly.
  • Reordered endstates to make sure Katharina takes priority if chosen.
  • Internalized consistency of the Queen’s name to French spelling rather than Polish.
  • Fixed a variable during the ball that tested Duelist instead of Thousand Faces.
1 Like

New draft posted! Look for v 22536 on the about page.

The game now includes:

• Chapter headers
  • Achievements
  • Descriptions for the stats

New draft posted! Don’t forget to clear your cache and look for v 22570 on the About page to ensure you’re playing the latest version.

• Fixed typos and grammar.

• Fixed exposed skill checks.

• Adjusted several page breaks.

• Rephrased certain choices for clarity.

• Fixed incorrect given name appearing in dialogue.

• Adjusted incorrect variables giving a High Suspicion counter.

• Tweaked the amount of Suspicion resulting from certain failures.

3 Likes

New draft posted! Look for version 22616 on the about page to make sure you’re testing the latest.

• Fixed achievements to prevent them from repeating.

• Changed Justine’s name to be more distinct from the many ‘J’ names.

• Fixed missing *gotos causing continuity errors.

• Removed extraneous italics.

• Fixed many typos and grammatical errors.

• Added quotations when needed to various dialogue options.

3 Likes

New draft posted! If you did one playthrough early on, now would be the time to come back and do another :slight_smile:

Look for v. 22653 on the About page and remember to clear your cache if you don’t see that.

-Added additional stat gains in certain chapters.
-Added additional options to certain choices.
-Fixed incorrect accents on various terms.
-Fixed broken labels/jumps.

New draft posted! Look for version 22748 on the About page, make sure you’ve cleared your cache to access the latest version.

This will probably be the last call for beta feedback. If you signed up, but did not submit your feedback or an excuse as to why you haven’t submitted feedback, now’s the time.

• Fixed broken italics.
  • Adjusted several stat tests to lessen difficulty.
  • Fixed various spelling and grammar problems.
  • Restored access to some inaccessible romance paths.
  • Fixed capitalization/accent issues.