Idea: forum community game

Not confident enough yet in CS to join this but I’m happy to provide any overruling suggestions. One might be to focus on a group of characters and each chapter features one of them and you can play them in any order.

I had one idea that might work well for this type of game. I actually got the idea from an old movie called “The Pagemaster” if any of you remember that, and if you’ve never seen it, go watch it now. To start with, the main character is just a regular person, nobody special in a normal world like yours or mine. One day while at the library he starts encountering strange people trying to force him into strange situations, like one person proclaims the player to be the Chosen one, and must recover the medallion to save the princess. Another says the player is special agent 81, and their mission, should they choose to accept it, is to stop the syndicate from leaking the presidents private emails. We then learn that the player is caught in a spell that is causing books to “leak” into the real world around him, and to stop utter chaos from ensuing and probably destroying society, the player must travel through a series of stories, including various genres, to find the wizard (or whatever) to get them to fix the situation.

This idea is meant to be tongue-in-cheek humor, with a little bit of meta self awareness mixed in. It’s one of about two dozen half baked ideas I have for games.

3 Likes

I think that sounds so much fun, Fantom. And it would be a perfectly meta way to explain why all the writing styles for each section are different, because they’re different books so to speak. It’s just add to the flavour.

Would some quest need to be solved in each of the books? Like defeating an evil, or finding pieces of a broken artifact, or the piece of the books that don’t fit and taking them out, or writing a missing ending or something?

Not rightly sure, TBH. Like I said, it’s a half baked idea I had one day and wrote down.

That could work. Or something similar, like passing through alternate dimensions or being stuck in some sort of completely crazy dream world which just changes at random from time to time. You’d probably need a purpose for going to those places though.

Edit:
Or the idea @Jacic uses in Wizardry Level C, where stepping through some sort of doorway has the potential to transport you to some sort of completely different place.

1 Like

Welcome on board. I have to say, I love your idea @fantom but it depends what the other writers want to do.

I’m going to create a private chat tomorrow where us writers will be able to further discuss this idea.

Note: anyone else who wants to join is welcome.

All I can think of is this now…

But it certainly sounds like a fun idea.

1 Like

I can’t enter because I am not level enough for that. But In this kind of projects is easy forgot focus in Why thinks happen and all end in a random pieces of writing.

A solid background like why Mc is there and how stuff happens and a detailed goal to going through . The tv show Quantum leap was a perfect example, Alice in Wonderland is another. Anyway Please a selfish or evil reason option. I am so tired of all goodies. If you need maybe some idea or something just say Poison on loud p

1 Like

I do quite like the books idea and involving an array of genres. Pagemaster had Horror, Adventure and Fantasy but one could branch into an array of idea like Jane Austen style romance, Game of Thrones style Gritty Fantasy, Holmesian Victorian Detective, wacky Sci-Fi etc.

I also would adore a solid time travel game where a player has a time machine and gets to choose where to go from an array of eras.

1 Like

They are all great ideas and will be taken into consideration.

:slight_smile:

There’s some super ideas there. I’d also suggest having some kind of loose series of deadlines for anyone participating (ie idea in by x date, outline in by y date, first section in by z date etc) to try and keep things ticking along (Although you will need to give writers enough time and sometimes life does happen but this will hopefully help keep the communication happening and stop the project from being shelved). Of course that’s up to you :smile:

1 Like

Okay ill do it even thogth im still working on a wip , we havent even started writing yet. So this seems like a good way t make a highly replayable game. :grinning:

Great. It’s nice to have another person on board.

Sounds like fun. I’m in, as long as the theme is something I think I could work with.

1 Like

Oooh, this sounds very fun and interesting! May I join in on the fun as well?

1 Like

So let me get this straight we each basically write our own path from a starting point in a story?

Basically. We’ll come up with an overall outline and theme, and divide it up into sections. The writers of each section will probably need to then come up with an outline of their individual section and then submit that to the group before further writing is done, that way the group can give input but more importantly writers of later sections can reference things that happened in earlier sections so as to give a sense of continuity.

1 Like

This would be a superb oppertunitty for a quest type adventure. Each path could be a quest to under go . We could all come up with characters the player may choose to take with them.or get a specific set per story.

Just to let everyone know, I’ve got enough writers now for this project. However, if we need any more people, I’ll let you know.

Update: just to inform everyone, yes, this idea is still going ahead and going well I must say. However, we are looking for more writers that want to be involved.

If anyone is interested in being a part of this project let me know and I will give you a list of genres that are already taken. That doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to stick to a set genre, as you can combine different genres, but does make sure that authors are not writing similar stories. :slight_smile:

1 Like