How to use *if and boolean for scenarios?

Perhaps the question was not aptly phrased, but I’ll do my best to explain it here. I’m rather new to Choicescript, having just started yesterday.

What I want to know is, how should I structure the *if command for whole scenes instead of choices? And not based on stats, either. Like, for example:

Let’s say the main character talks to Daria. If character has complimented Daria, then (for example):
*set daria_compliment true

Of course, we would have to set up [*create daria_compliment true] in the startup

Fast forward several scenes later:

*if daria_compliment true
Daria gives you a kiss! “I love you,” she declared. The two of you live happily ever after.
*finish
*else
Daria just smiles at you. You stay good friends.
*finish

If it helps, I’ve mostly been going through the ChoiceScript introduction guide. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I almost forgot. I’ve tried structuring it the way I mentioned above ^ but keep receiving error messages.

It’s

*if daria_compliment = true

or

*if daria_compliment

or (if and this is only really something coders will probably use naturally)

*if not(daria_compliment)
1 Like

Thank you! I will try it out straightaway

Actually this is something that’s always confused me as well. Does there have to be a choice statement in there? Or can you just have something like

Story paragraph ends here

*if ( element = "water" )
Storyline for water

*if (element = "fire" )
Storyline for fire

And just have the story continue without having to make a choice? (I’ve been trying to engineer choices to split the storylines which isn’t always easy)

Yeah, I’m still trying to figure it out. I ran into another error again that says I’m missing a VAR or something like that… I’ll post the whole message once I get to a computer. I’m using my phone right now

@Jacic can you tell me how you’ve been doing it so far? And has it worked, despite being difficult?

I haven’t tried using it without a choice statement (Guess the easiest thing to do would be for me to just to try it out and see if it works).

It works fine otherwise with the *if choices. The only issue is you sometimes end up with single selectable choices because the others are hidden which most people don’t like in games.

This will definitely work:

And they
*if element = "water"
  went to the world of water.
  *goto_scene water
*if element = "fire"
  went to fire world.
  *goto_scene fire
lived happily ever after.
*finish

If element is water or fire, the MC goes to a specific scene. If the element is neither water nor fire, the MC reads “And they lived happily ever after.”, and the game ends.

2 Likes

Makes sense! I’ll try it out. Thank you!

Edit: THANK YOU SO MUCH it works!! I am forever indebted to you!

1 Like

Also as well… With the right spaces under the if statement. You can add more than one line, or several paragraphs as in example here…

*if s = true
   "Ahh...It is good to see a recruit that knows to solute their commanding officer. It seems you paid attention while you were in the academy." She says with almost a happy tune to her voice. But that is short lived.

*if s = false
   "Don't you know to solute your commanding officer or don't you even care. I have been doing this for a very long time and I require every one to show some respect. Is that understood!" She says with almost a soar note.

"Yes commander, that is completely clear." He says almost half aware that the others are looking in his direction.
1 Like

Does anyone know how I can do something like…

*if xp >0 and <31

I have been coming up with an unexpected boolean operator error, even if I rap it in parentheses.

I want a list of the that goes similar to this…

*if xp >0 and <31
*set lvl 1
*return
*if xp >30 and <71
*set lvl 2
*return

Any ideas

Like this:

*if ((xp >0) and (xp <31))

etc.

I tried that… but it kept saying unexpected boolean.

I have figured out that it works if i only use the less then number for instance.
*if xp <71
*set lvl 2
*return
*if xp <122
*set lvl 3
*return

If its not smaller than the first… it moves down the list until it finds an acceptable value.

That’s odd. A boolean is a variable that’s either true or false, while this bit of code only makes use of numerical variables. Or are you forgetting brackets somewhere?

Anyway, it looks like you found a workaround for your problem, so it doesn’t really matter anymore. Good luck.