How to start a new paragraph without messing up the code

When I’m writing dialogue scenes in choice script I use enter to start a new paragraph when someone else starts speaking, but when I do it messes up the code either with the mix of spaces and tabs error or the unexpected tab error. When I get rid of the spaces the dialogue scenes look really clunky, are harder to read, and not to mention grammatically incorrect. So, I’m looking for a way to have a paragraph in my scene without messing up the code. If you have any advice I would appreciate it, thank you.

that’s leaving a blank space in between, it would shown just as you see it there.

text

text

for a new paragraph without a space in between you can use the *line_break command

text
*line_break
text new line

it would read:

text
text new line

I don’t know if that answers your question, also here you have some useful info about choicescript you can look.

1 Like

Yes this helps thank you so much

1 Like

Which do you use when you’re manually indenting text-- spaces or tabs? Sounds like the problem might be that whatever program you’re coding in has its auto-indent set to use the opposite of what you’re using, so when you hit enter you’re creating a mix of spaces/tabs and getting the resulting error message.

1 Like

I’m not sure but I don’t think this does creates a new paragraph. It just introduces a <br /> in the middle of the paragraph, iirc.

Maybe it’s not the proper definition of paragraph, but he said:

And I assumed he was trying to start a new line just pressing “enter”. And what that does is continuing the text as if it were the same paragraph. *line_break should work as we normally use the “enter” key to go to the next line. What did I mess up?

It’s going to work, but a) the line space will be different. b) Page scrappers will see it as a single paragraph.

This is only a technicality. If you’re curious, this is the difference in the final output.

This:

Text

Text

Becomes:

<p>Text</p>
<p>Text</p>

While, this:

Text
*line_break
Text

Becomes this:

<p>Text<br />Text</p>

And which one is the proper way I should use to write for a choicescript game?

If you can, prefer:

Text

Text

That for a new paragraph, and for a new line just the *line_break?

That’s right.

Ok, nice. I don’t need to change the entire book then. That’s a relief jaja. Thanks!

1 Like