How to set up *if

So I have 4 paragraphs to write and i need help on how to write them so like this?

*if (has_fire)

Curious you looked at the symbols fire,water,earth,wind? 

You walked to tree on the right, the one with the fire symbol, almost as if you were drawn to it.

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to burn without burning. Beautiful...

*if (has_earth)

You walked to tree on the right, the one with the Earth symbol, almost as if you were drawn to it.

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to host flowers. Beautiful...

*if (has_water)

You walked to tree on the right, the one with the ocean symbol, almost as if you were drawn to it.

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to turn into water without losing shape. Beautiful...

*if (has_air)

You walked to tree on the right, the one with the wind symbol, almost as if you were drawn to it.

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to turn into little wisps of air without losing shape. Beautiful...

I think I’d do it like this

Startup.txt
*create has_earth 0
*create has_wind 0
*create has_fire 0
*create has_water 0

In the choice.
*choice
#Option earth
*set has_earrth +1

Then whatever you want to trigger

*if (has_earth = 1)
YADADADADADA
YOU HAVE earth

1 Like

Hmm… I tried your suggestion then a butt-load of error messages popped-up

That wouldn’t work if you just copied and pasted it in. Remember, the block below the if statement needs to be indented. Choicescript uses indentation to determine where a block of code or text begins and ends. Indentation is very important!

*if (has_earth)
    #comment do something

*if (has_water)
    #comment whatever

Can we see the code in your startup.txt?
All of it would be better.

*label Chapter2

*if (has_fire)

You walked to tree on the right, the one with the fire symbol, almost as if you were drawn to it.

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to burn without burning. Beautiful...

*if (has_earth)

You walked to tree on the right, the one with the Earth symbol, almost as if you were drawn to it.

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to host flowers. Beautiful...

*if (has_water)

You walked to tree on the right, the one with the ocean symbol, almost as if you were drawn to it.

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to turn into water without losing shape. Beautiful...

*if (has_air)

You walked to tree on the right, the one with the wind symbol, almost as if you were drawn to it.

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to turn into little wisps of air without losing shape. Beautiful...

thats basically it
I dont know how to proceed and errors pop-up from this

Oh, oh.
So, you haven’t *create-ed any variables?

*create name ""
*create surname ""
*create power ""
*create agility 0
*create charm 0
*create wealth 0
*create intelligence 0
*create current_inventory ""
*create item_amount 0
*create has_fire false
*create has_water false
*create has_wind false
*create has_earth false
*create has_food false
*create has_money false
*create has_clothes false
*create has_tools false

What’s the error message? If you’re only showing us little snippets of code, we need to know what the game engine thinks the problem is… we’re largely in the dark here.

Ok so you know the

*If (has_fire)

for example

it says there is a non-existent variable for like all of them including

*If (has_earth)
*If (has_air)
*If (has_water)

I think the problem is that you have both [has_air] and [has_wind]. So, which one will you actually use?

Ohhhh I see it now let me see if this works…

now I have a different problem so the whole entire

*label Chapter2

*if (has_fire)

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to burn without burning. Beautiful…

*if (has_earth)

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to host flowers. Beautiful…

*if (has_water)

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to turn into water without losing shape. Beautiful…

*if (has_wind)

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to turn into little wisps of air without losing shape. Beautiful…

Shows to the reader

so say like if I have air this whole thing shows instead of just

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to turn into little wisps of air without losing shape. Beautiful…

If you’re pasting code in, put ``` either side of it, that displays it as you paste it in without any formatting. The way you pasted that, it looks like there’s no indentation.

Sidenote:

As the has_x are tied to the “power” if i see this correctly, you could also use

*if (power = "air")
   Text

EDIT:
If you feel confident with using multireplace, you could have one variable like this:

*create has_power 0

Which you set to e.g. 1 for fire, 2 for earth etc.
And then you can compress the text like this:

You walked to tree on the right, the one with the @{has_power fire| earth| water| wind} symbol, almost as if you were drawn to it.

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to @{has_power burn without burning| host flowers| turn into water without losing shape| turn into little wisps of air}. Beautiful...

Sorry this shows

*label Chapter2

*if (has_fire)

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to burn without burning. Beautiful…

*if (has_earth)

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to host flowers. Beautiful…

*if (has_water)

There you knew that it was you. Reaching forward you touched the tree and watched how the leaves on the tree began to turn into water without losing shape. Beautiful…

*if (has_wind)

instead of just (if you have wind)

I will try this

OK that didn’t work either