How To See Other Games' Code (current info posted in OP and Post 146 on 6/18/19)

Ok, so I tried to follow @CJW’s method of looking at WIP games’ code and uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…

W e l l. . .

Um…I’m just gonna let you all judge…?

The following tutorial can be done on any browser. I did it in both Chrome and Firefox, but I’m pretty sure you can do it in any browser, like…

oh my god i dont know any other browsers

Ahem.

How to look at a WIP game's code on Dashingdon (Browser Only)

Go to the WIP whose code you want to look at:

I’ll be using Wayhaven Chronicles as an example because why not, fren?

Chrome:

Firefox:

IGNORE MY BOOKMARKS HISSSSSSS

Right-click and go down to Inspect

On Firefox, this is known as Inspect Element:

Depending on what your settings are, your inspector will appear in different places. Personally, I prefer having the inspector in a different window:

Chrome:

Firefox:

But you do you, frendo. I believe in you :heart:

Now you just have to enter the console!

Chrome:

Firefox:

Again, the screenshots above are if you have the inspector open as a separate window.

And now here's the tricky part. In your console, manually type in (yeah, I know, there's no copypasta-ing—so sad) allScenes["startup"].lines.join.("")no, I have no idea what it means either, just do it.

Chrome:

Firefox:

No, as far as I know, there’s no way to clear your console history on Firefox like in Chrome, but uh…if you’ve made it this far…well…this is gonna be the least of your worries, frendo. :eyes:

And then you hit enter and all hell breaks loose:

Oh boy.

O h   b o y

From here you can copy and paste the whole thing if you want, but like...why tho?

You can paste it onto a separate program, like Notepad++ or even CSIDE, but lemme tell you frendo, it's. not. worth. it.

CSIDE:

Notepad++ (please note how tiny the scrollbar is):

also pls forgive and ignore my CK2 files, i like to cheat a lot and at one point my ruler went off to fight a bear that i tried to recruit to court but it was automatically killed after the encounter and i was trying to see if i could revive it because who doesn’t want a bear courtier???

Anyway, if you have patience, you can indent it to something resembling ChoiceScript and perhaps learn some coding along the way but if I were you I would just watch paint dry—

Oh yeah, and also there’s n’s everywhere???

? ? ?

EDIT:
It’s because when we went into SuperHacker mode, we wrote allScenes["startup"].lines.join("n") and for some reason the n puts in…n’s…everywhere???

Anyway, don’t do that. Stop. Don’t. Just leave the "" undefined, mkay? Don’t do what I did. Learn from my mistakes, fren.

Anyway, I tried. :woman_shrugging:

Edit: I FIGURED OUT WHY THERE WERE SO MANY N'S

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed witnessing my descent into madness! :kissing_heart:

11 Likes