How many times while playing a game did you restart the entire game because you got a beloved character killed?

I did that just now while playing Banner Saga because I gave the macguffin to my favorite character and she died. It got me wondering if I’m the only one.

6 Likes

Guns of Infinity, 12 times a day, but stopped trying when I suspected that it was not possible to save them.

6 Likes

I’ve learned to accept any mistakes I’ve made, so no restart when bad things happened. I prolly just shelve the book for a long time.

3 Likes

Never. Cause I’m a filthy save scummer.

6 Likes

The entire game? No.

But the reason I won all the classic FE games without losing anyone when possible, wasn’t by superior genius. It was just by the power of save scumming.

To my credit, I still had to come up with the plan of how to win without losing a unit, I just never would have managed it on the first try.

Course, it’s an option to play with that mode in the new games, but honestly? Lot’s of characters I would consider worth the effort of saving by going through all the bullcrap to get there again. Yet, some I don’t think I could force myself to expend a couple of turns to save even if it meant losing them forever.

Taking Awakening as an example, I would basically want to save mostly everyone:

I would never allow Henry to die. Or Tharja. Fredrick. Nowi. Gaius, Cherche, Paine, and maybe Virion would be worth a save. And you can try to kill Donnel when he unlocks his full power if you want. Key word is TRY. Lon’qu gets on the list to defend at all costs, and I got nothing against Libra. Inigo? MUST be saved.

But ones I don’t fully care about? Lucina, I don’t care about. Not even a little. Severa can stay stay or go. Just provided she does the staying away from where I can see or hear her. I don’t give a shit about Cordelia.

Banner Saga and most choice of games games autosave so that’s not always an option

Its been a while since I’ve played Banner Saga so i might be wrong but I think you can delete saves from the save location so you technically can. Otherwise, I’ll just shrug, continue the game than cheat through the second playthrough to fix my mistakes.

I’m playing it on console I’m sure their are PC tricks but when my daughter died nooop restart time.

it never happen to me…in choiceofgames that is . In others games…sure…but very rarely .

1 Like

I did this a lot when I played Heart of the House because I can’t seem to save Dev. :sob:

2 Likes

laughs in “i do this in almost every single IF game I play”

Wish I was kidding, but I am not! I have done this in Samuari of Hyuga, Heart of the House, Zombie Exodus: SH, Life of a Mobster, Petal Throne, Lost Heir Trilogy, etc, etc.

Actually, I have restarted many IF games just simply because things didn’t turn out how I expected.

6 Likes

Lost heir series is hard to please! Very punishing.

6 Likes

It always struck me as that even though there’s choices in it, there’s a highly specific way that you are supposed to do everything. One of the reasons that I can’t say it was a personal favorite series of mine.

3 Likes

God forbid you go off on career that’s isn’t mage, Priest, or Knight. I played thief and was battered really bad. Or if you make a choice that makes you look like the bad guy; one character being mad at you even though they say “Yeah your right.”

3 Likes

I did it so often in Lost Heir to save my friend, only to find out that you can’t save them and win, it’s only like an “well you lost, but here’s a consolation prize.” And I hate losing tbh.

2 Likes

I actually have a save that has all the characters alive, but don’t ask me how. That save was two years ago.

1 Like

Dude, the fact that you trusted her with the MacGuffin and got her killed was the singular defining moment of that game. The whole game was set up so you’d make that choice. It’s one of the most powerful moments in video game storytelling of all time. Having to live with that choice is one of the hardest things you have to do, but you still ought to do it, because you have to keep going.

Restarting it because you didn’t like the outcome … Oof. That hurts my soul.

1 Like

I restart all the games I play usually on singular choices that make me cringe.

1 Like

If I already restart when I accidentally pick the wrong option then of course I do that when a character dies. I always tell myself, “…That didn’t happen.” And play again. Sometimes this happens multiple times in a row :sweat_smile:

I’m also known for quiting games after a few attempts and not succeeding. Sometimes I come back a day later. Sometimes it takes years for me to come back to a game. It depends. :no_mouth:

5 Likes

I mean it’s possible. I saved all the characters in the war in the last book, but it required high magic or a couple levels in druid to heal whoever you gave your Demonstone to. But I’ve found it’s not possible to save your friend in the second book and win the fight against Selina. As long as you don’t immediately give up, they’re going to kill themselves or kill you, or you kill them. Especially if you kill Selena. So logically, I wasn’t going to lose to save one life and condemn thousands. Just. Eh.

1 Like