How early should romance options appear?

See, I’m a slow burn kind of girl. God, once I cried while reading a book because the other guy was standing outside the dudes window after 23 chapters. I love them. I feel like they should be introduced early, but in a subtle way. Take the tiny hints and what not that the reader either misses or doesn’t. Instead of saying “this guy is hot, are your attracted to him?” State what you like and drop hints like “he looks at you with renewed interest”(that’s in my own story)

I ain’t saying I’m a hoe, (but I am. :^) ), my first reaction is, “can I sleep with this character”. Idk why, it’s just a weird thing about me I guess, perhaps it’s my uncontrollable teenage urges. I get immediately invested in the characters, so when you do get the romances I hate when they satisfy my curiosity too quick. I like to stew in a little ball of emotional tension and suspense, cause I’m a masochist at heart.

4 Likes

Lol I like messing with my best friends , i never had the nerve to say to my crush (just one whom I wanted to know ) about my feelings it might be because of my priority but if she came to me and said it I might forget all my priority and fall in love … Which I don’t want right now , u know about my study stuff right I wanted a job like all Indians​ …:blush: And about my friend , he like a girl and i just to mess with him said that he should go and say it ,and lol he went and Said​ , and when i asked him he said she smiled and went away what does that mean … Is it like she too likes him or is he friend zoned … I don’t know much about girls …

1 Like

@sarath_a
They are simple (no, i don’t agree with a single word in this line )
well they are subtle in body language ( far greater than men ) , which is the reason very few are able to understand them ( and those who do are envied by others )
depends upon the type of smile :slight_smile::smile::laughing:

1 Like

See, these are good points, but I have to say that getting romance indicators (flirt options or ‘do you think this person is attractive?’ options) as soon as possible are useful from a coding/writing perspective as they let you set flags to track who the player’s interested in and put some extra text in to reflect that.

Personally, I’d like to know what romances are available beforehand. However, a short note about that (number, maybe a general description, e.g. “dashing pirate”) in the game description would absolutely suffice. Generally, I’m a slow burn type and appreciate working for a relationship. The Eagle’s Heir, for example, made my relationship with Alexandre feel rewarding. Same with Jenny from the Heroes Rise trilogy or JJ from Slammed (then again, I adored every single RO this game had to offer).

Dragon Age 2 had an interesting approval approach with the friendship/rivalry system and its corresponding romances. This way, your playing style gets reflected in your relationship without barring you from pursuing a certain character, regardless of ideological differences. That said, I’ve never had it in me to play a rivalry romance, especially since some fans have remarked on some potentially abusive stuff in those (ymmv).

4 Likes

Being in a rivalry romance with Merrill is like kicking a puppy ;-;

1 Like

I feel the same about Fenris! Like, with a romance, you’re his closest friend and the best thing that ever happened to him. Rivalmance, and he feels like he truly has no one, that you aren’t really in it for him or care about his well being. Ugh, never again! :sob:

1 Like

I think it’s difficult to be like “this is the right amount of time”. I mainly say that’s because irl different people tend to have different ways of starting a relationship. They may be flirty or just not, willing to go quick or like to build it over a long period of time. The issue in any kind of game is that at least in my personal experience I jump for early romances or waste a bunch of time waiting for one that doesn’t show up. So even if you add the fast and flirty mixed in with the serious and patient, you have to somehow show that you can have a relationship with either/or over the course of the game.

You’re supposed to sell him back to his slaver/one sided(?) lover…

On the question, it depends on context, the character and the type of relationship.

To notify players that this is a romance, maybe you could just mark them in the stats screen?

holy shit, i’d forgotten i had posted this thread hahahahah
anyway, thank you all for the numerous replies, they’re really helpful, and i’m glad to see most people, just like me, enjoy slow burn romances!

like, the character’s name is followed by “RO”, or “(single)” (i’ve seem some games with the last one)?

Yeah, I mean it’s not like it’s breaking immersion or anything for most stat screens.