How early should romance options appear?

Stuff to put on my reading list? :smile:

Eh, we can use them as examples :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Which could hopefully be subject to development by the end, right? :smile:
I do like having the dynamic be character-dependant, though…

Zombie Exodus: Safe Haven is an interesting case as well… romance in that has only just gotten started, but it’s tracking a few different rather complex possibilities, so it’s looking like even the same characters will have different possible dynamics. Given the large number of love interests, this is especially impressive :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I’m so glad you can’t romance a zombie in ZE:SH…
Can you imagine?

(at the psychologist’s office…)

Doctor: “So, thank you both for coming. What’s on your mind today, John?”

John: “It’s my girlfriend, Doc. I mean… I try my best but she’s a real mess, you know? She’s just falling apart here…”

(girlfriend’s nose literally drops off her face)

John: “See what I mean?”

6 Likes

It is a real problem in some games like psy high man I literally wasted my damn time on dating some rich girl and which made me look like an idiot in the end by saying she went to NY and our relationship is useless :tired_face: or something lol it made me real angry and I don’t know is there a way to continue some long distance relationship in psy high …If so please sent a message to me since this is not it’s forum .

1 Like

This is actually a problem games with romances have in general, whether CoGs, or visual novels, etc. It seems like most people want a ‘together ever after’ when in reality, relationships, especially ones in high school/college would end after graduation.

As such, unless there is a specific reason to do otherwise, most writers will give it such to keep their customers satisfied.

Not with Taylor (the player’s initial crush).

What is funny is that thanks to the constant of “you notice this about her” and “think she’s beautiful” by the author, it actually turned me against her. I found myself preferring 1. My best/childhood friend 2. The editor of the paper 3. The ‘bad girl’

5 Likes

Hi but my problem is not that it is the author he was trying to make her look some kind of forever love type ,with all those butterfly in my characters​ heart with all those romantic dialogue , like she is what he wants us to choose and then …

To be fair, as @Lys points out, there is very much a realistic “this is kind of how high school/college relationships tend to go” vibe. Young romance can hit fast and intense and end almost as quickly. I mean, I remember my so-called first love. It really DID feel like “some kind of forever love type, with all those butterfly in [my] heart.” Then, he went fairly far away for college and it fizzled out within a year. And, yeah, it sucked (at the time, then you hopefully go on and take what you learned from that relationship and have other opportunities to meet people that it works better with, etc. etc.). It all seems very true to life to me.

5 Likes

Some are fairy tales some are truth bro. Its a very complicated thing. Some of us here are sucker for good romance and endings or but we should also remember that “roses have thorns”.

Now if you ask me, we should not take romance in games seriously, after all they are games. Hell its even damn more complicated in real life.

2 Likes

Doc: you sure you brought the right person?

XD

In my opinion somewhere in the middle of the book game, not so late for not having a emotional meaning on you but also no to soon, cause I wanna fell that my character aka my avatar in the game fells in love with that special girl for how she is on the insides, intestines and such XD if a romance triggers to soon gives me this ohhh I going for her looks feeling that i hate

I might be the only one but having romance in the beginning doesn’t strike me as odd lol. It’s not that unrealistic to actually see someone you think is interesting and then go up to them and start flirting with them. Where that leads, who knows but I’ve done it a number of times. I’ve always thought that flirting with them and then getting to know them after you figure out that you’re still interested in them was always a way to go.

So I guess answering wise, I don’t care when the romance options start popping up as long as I’m not forced into it and the characters are well written and what not.

3 Likes

Love is complicated, only one of my friends got a sort of fairytale ending with his highschool sweetheart, though even they had an “intermission” of about 8 years best defined as “university”. It may have helped that they both became geologists too.
The rest of my friends are hardly better off and some are arguably worse off than me by now, as in divorced with kids.
As for me my longest romantic relationship to date ended just shy of its 2 year anniversary. Then again there is a lot to be said for fairy-tale-esque romance endings where you get to grow old together in relative harmony, but I guess those are scarce in the real world for a reason.
Yeah, flirting straight away is something I tended to do in college as well, I mean the worst that has ever happened to me is getting a pitcher of beer poured over me for a “gaydar” malfunction.

1 Like

On a connected note, assuming that romance is not the core focus of a game, how many romance options should there be? Does it bother you if a character you meet can’t be romanced for one reason or another?

1 Like

Yes, it is.

But I think, isn’t it the reason to love them more, too?
I mean… “Why I can’t romance her!!! huehuehue”

Does it bother you if a character you meet can’t be romanced for one reason or another?

Not if they’re already in a relationship, too young, or any other reason beyond “it clearly didn’t occur to the author that anyone would WANT to romance them”. >_>

1 Like

Bro i agree i dont have a gf ,but i do have crush and some have it for me too i can see it in their eyes , and I agree love is not easy stuff ,it is not black or white type , and all but it has something which no one else can provide us that feeling of wanting is something ,you must admit it , and I agree that in game romance should not be considered serious lol I m 19 not a child I also know that :joy:.And I like the dialogue about :rose: having thorn’s but it symbolises love right , it itself is saying it will hurt a little .:heart_eyes_cat::broken_heart::tulip:

1 Like

All fair points. I think whilst not everyone likes how Bioware handles games I think how they ensure the characters are just as engaging as friends as love interests is important, and also that in some cases if you don’t romance characters they will fall for others in your party.

Actually that’s why I like Eagle Heir, since you aren’t just thinking about your own romances but the prince’s as well. More games should consider having the chance to influence romances between other characters.

1 Like

Your not alone. I too never had gf, few girls approached me from time to time, but i always waved them away. Guess we have to blame the indian law which is ~ career first, everything else later lol :joy::joy::joy::joy:, but its true in some ways, if we cant earn and feed our loved ones who else will? Teenage or young love as one user stated is quick,intense and ends the same way (if your unlucky) very very few people manage to keep their childhood/ teenage love alive.

Meh, i wont lie there are a few of my colleagues who have a broken heart which is beyond repairs.

1 Like

doesn’t everyone knows someone who falls under same category.

1 Like

I guess either way is fine. If you meet the RO right at the beginning but they keep interesting, and being with them throughout the whole game is meaningful, then I don’t see a problem. Same goes for if you meet them later in the story. As long as it’s interesting and meaningful :thumbsup:.

@DUNGEON_MASTER unfortunately, yes. My best friend was in the friendzone for five years, then when he worked up the nerve to ask her out she shot him down. Now he’s basically Charlie Sheen, mostly because being a chick I can set him up with some of the girls from college. But he cries and stuff almost everytime it’s just us drinking.

My best friend liked her for 3 years it was on - off relationship for i guess 2 monts which ultimately resulted in him being very weak (emotionally) now he doesn’t believe in all this according to him - " Its all lies, because at the end you get hurt - emotionally or physically "