How Do I Know What Words I Can Use In Creating My Stat Chart?

I’m having trouble with my stat coding.

The error I’m getting is: “Error: startup line 2: Invalid create instruction, no value specified: stat_chart”

My code looks like this:

*title Choice of the Guardian
*create stat_chart
   opposed_pair Passion
     Peacefulness
   opposed_pair leadership
     Dominance
     Submission
   opposed_pair strength
     Agility
     Brute Strength
   opposed_pair Vigilance
     Confidence
*create Passion 50
*create Dominance 50
*create Agility 50
*create Vigilance 50

This is my first game, so it may seem choppy. I'm a pretty good storyteller because I imagine 
everything my characters would do,so I hope that Choice of the Guardian is as good as I wanted
it to be.

*page_break I'm Sure It's Fine!

Long ago, before the time of The Curse and during the time of the Garden of Eden, back
when the world was perfect, dragons roamed and ruled the Earth. There were four main kinds of
dragons; the proud fire dragons with their flaming breath and bright, metallic, iron-hard scales. 
The earth dragons that spat scalding acid and deadly stinging tails, no to mention a vastly 
territorial nature. The wind dragons who glided on the winds, having no wings of their own, and able
to fire bolts of lightning. And last, but not least in any way, the sea dragons with their immense
size and strength, the biggest of all the dragon kinds, they preferred the water over flying, though
the occasional flight was not out of the ordinary.

*line_break

When The Curse was inflicted apon Mankind,The dragons at first tried to continue living on the Earth, but
they found that after three thousand years of trying to coexist, their race was dwindling. Mankind hunted them
for sport, took over their homes, and stole their prey. Little by little, they began to realise that there
was no longer a place for them among Mankind. Inherently magical creatures, the dragons tore a rift, a portal, 
between an empty, safe world, and this one. Then, down to the last dragonette, they vanished through it.

*page_break

Well, all except four.

*page_break
A represenative from each tribe, the copper-colored fire, the pearl-scaled wind, the saphire-plated sea and the verdelite earth,
each gave up their power to four worthy individuals, one from each corner of the world: modern-era Canada, Australia, Peru, and 
Japan. Each of these people became the first Guardians, gifted with unbreakable bones, the power to control their respective 
elements, and a fantastic healing ability.

*line_break

But perhaps their greatest ability was to be able to transform into the dragons of old.

*page_break Cool

Did you use *create passion 50 in your startup file? Because what that error is trying to tell you is that there is no variable with that name it could read as a stat

I will try that, thank you!

I have updaded my code as shown up top. I still get the same stupid error

Choice script is case sensitive, all variable used in stats need to be created in startup, if your variable start with capital P for passion create the variable in start up with capital P

1 Like

*create first then the stats, but I’d generally advise to put the stat screens on a different file named choicescript_stats . This way they will show when the player goes on the stats tab

Not necessarily if you are working with the *stat_chart, at least capitals work there for me, but inside the text very much so yes

I will try that, and update yall on how it goes.

also the creates goes in startup file not in the stats file, I saw that you have some opposed pairs remember to also create the Leadership variable in addition to the Dominance and Submission variable

Alright, I got a different error, fixed that to get another error

what did you get this time?

“Error: startup line 2: Invalid create instruction, no value specified: stat_chart”

wait you are saying that your capital variable works even if you create them with lower case?

[b] Personality:[/b]
*stat_chart
    opposed_pair Impulsive
     Cautious
    opposed_pair Emotional
     Stoic
    opposed_pair Sincere
     Sarcastic
    opposed_pair tradition
     Traditional
     Accepting

yup :blush: :+1:

I*ve got *create impulsive 50, *create emotional 50
etc.

I never created them with lowercase to begin with.

I would like to know what words ChoceScript will accept when I go to test my game

For example, the only ones I know are “leadership” and “strength”

The below goes in startup file txt

*title Choice of the Guardian
*create Passion 50
*create Peacefulness 50
*create leadership 50
*create Dominance 50
*create Submission 50
*create strength 50
*create Agility 50
*create Brute_Strengt 50
*create Vigilance 50
*create Confidence 50

This is my first game, so it may seem choppy. I'm a pretty good storyteller because I imagine 
everything my characters would do,so I hope that Choice of the Guardian is as good as I wanted
it to be.

*page_break I'm Sure It's Fine!

Long ago, before the time of The Curse and during the time of the Garden of Eden, back
when the world was perfect, dragons roamed and ruled the Earth. There were four main kinds of
dragons; the proud fire dragons with their flaming breath and bright, metallic, iron-hard scales. 
The earth dragons that spat scalding acid and deadly stinging tails, no to mention a vastly 
territorial nature. The wind dragons who glided on the winds, having no wings of their own, and able
to fire bolts of lightning. And last, but not least in any way, the sea dragons with their immense
size and strength, the biggest of all the dragon kinds, they preferred the water over flying, though
the occasional flight was not out of the ordinary.

*line_break

When The Curse was inflicted apon Mankind,The dragons at first tried to continue living on the Earth, but
they found that after three thousand years of trying to coexist, their race was dwindling. Mankind hunted them
for sport, took over their homes, and stole their prey. Little by little, they began to realise that there
was no longer a place for them among Mankind. Inherently magical creatures, the dragons tore a rift, a portal, 
between an empty, safe world, and this one. Then, down to the last dragonette, they vanished through it.

*page_break

Well, all except four.

*page_break
A represenative from each tribe, the copper-colored fire, the pearl-scaled wind, the saphire-plated sea and the verdelite earth,
each gave up their power to four worthy individuals, one from each corner of the world: modern-era Canada, Australia, Peru, and 
Japan. Each of these people became the first Guardians, gifted with unbreakable bones, the power to control their respective 
elements, and a fantastic healing ability.

*line_break

But perhaps their greatest ability was to be able to transform into the dragons of old.

*page_break Cool

And this goes in stats file txt

This is your stats screen

[b]Stats[/b]
*stat_chart
 opposed_pair Passion
  Peacefulness
 opposed_pair leadership
  Dominance
  Submission
 opposed_pair strength
  Agility
  Brute_Strength
 opposed_pair Vigilance
  Confidence

Huh!, that’s good to know

1 Like

? what exactly do you mean? because you can use anything as long as you *create the right one in the stats first?

for example
startup

*create leadership 50
*create passion 50
*create strength 50
*create vigilance 50

and then your stats file:
stat_chart

*stat_chart
opposed_pair Passion
     Peacefulness
   opposed_pair leadership
     Dominance
     Submission
   opposed_pair strength
     Agility
     Brute Strength
   opposed_pair Vigilance
     Confidence

@CC_Hill you actually don’t need to create the stat names on the opposing side, they won’t change anything about the stat bar.

You only need the a third one or the ones that will be on the left side of the bar, if you want to ‘raise’ the stat on the right you need to *set passion %-5 or *set passion -5 depenion on whether or not you use fairmath ^^

1 Like

You mean create or define? because if it is created it need to be define…so no need to create it at all?