Holy Ordos WIP [a Warhammer 40k inspired game] [updated v0.4.1, 2020/08/05]

I’m sorry to be the negative nancy of this topic, and don’t mistake this for not having interest in it, but it’s unlikely you’re going to get far with the project before Games Workshop issues a DMCA. If you were to finish the game and than monetize it [meaning putting it up for sale on any website, including this one], you’d be breaking the law and or have the possibility of being sued by them. Unless you have permission from Games Workshop to make said game, that is.

Edit: Also; “Games cannot infringe on other people’s intellectual property; we can’t host a Harry Potter or Star Wars game.” It might not be allowed by the Choice of Games company either

Anyways, aside from that, go for it. I love the Inquisition.

1 Like

I think it will be really nice if the MC can be either a male or female, it will help increasing the amount of readers and so far I haven’t seen why exactly it is genderlocked.

5 Likes

It’s a Opus of Art.

But I must advice. Avert to watch it while drinking. Specially hot beverages. Your keyboard, monitor and pants can thank me later!

1 Like

40K perfection sadly not a fan of gender lock so i have to skip it still good luck with the game.

5 Likes

I would as well, especially if it is from the perspective of a cadian, maybe a “survivor” of the despoiler failed attack, but I also would love a Choice of the Commissar or something like it.

CADIA STANDS

2 Likes

6 Likes

Well my two cents. I like the gender locked thing. This way you can fine tune the narrctive for a better and immersive flavor rather than have to write dividing your attention between multiple points of view. And also I like to play fem characters. I aways imagine them as the most scary creature I ever meet. My Mommy! :heart:

Warhammer can be a interesting setting for fem baddasery.

6 Likes

As someone who thinks humans are best species in 40k.

The only good psyker is a dead psyker. They’re way more trouble than they are worth. Always.

Unless they are Grey Knights, but they have what is basically a fursuit for their power armour. And honestly that’s just proof that giving too much power to psykers is an awful idea as that abomination should never have existed.

5 Likes

1 Like

Grey Knight: Emperor-sama notice me!

3 Likes

Wait, 40k? What?! The outcomes of whether or not this is legal will be very interesting. Personally, I would certainly have this be 40k-esque if I were you, but make it different enough that lawyers would be off your back. Luckily, 40k is so popular that taking a lot of general ideas from its setting isn’t terribly uncommon in the Sci-Fi world, so you have an out if the worst were to happen.

@Zeom Well, Khorne has given some leeway to his “no psykers” rule before, such as Sindri and especially Kyrus (the latter of which almost became a daemon prince too while the former… it’s complicated).

2 Likes

39.9k PeaceAxe the startling tale of a Psych who didn’t worship a silent skeleton of a chair like it was originally asked this is her true story in a age where giant genetic super soldiers whose paycheck still say department of the navy…are proud of the band of troops know as ULT-… Smurfs
this Psych is know as {mc name} and we will now begin her true story

good enough to avoid the second most powerful threat of mankind, the Ultra-lawyers? They are second only to the IRS because there is no need to make a Ultra-IRS
@Alice-chan ok so im only half joking in my idea for the workaround

in my case its my Grandma on my dads side 5 foot of pure fear, who was known to scare Mp’s who easily had a foot and 80 pounds on her when she was in her late 60’s. they did not like getting her upset and often responded with straightening up beside my dad who would snapped to attention whenever my granma even vaguely raised her voice. Fear the grandma Fear her. I hated visiting but loved her.

1 Like

Who knows? If GW complains, just bring up Malal/Malice, that’ll get 'em to leave you alone.

2 Likes

It’s not being sold for money. If its just being put up as a free fan work there is nothing illegal about it. It’s just fan-fiction and GW doesn’t go after written fan fiction as far as I am aware.

1 Like

Currently, Fan Fiction is protected by a decision made by the Supreme Court (in the US at least, I have no idea what the law is like in the UK). If this WIP was just some poject someone made and posted for fun with absolutely no ability to generate any sort of revenue, then I’m fairly certain that it would be be allow or at least tolerated.

However, to post a WIP on COG implies that your goal is to monetize it when the project is complete. Even if this game was free, COG would still want revenue to release it in some shape/form, likely in the form of adverts.

I am unsure whether adverts would be cause to file a lawsuit, but I am certain that that’s not something anyone is eager to put to the test. All I’ll say for certain is that whatever happens to this WIP will be very interesting in the coming days.

I don’t think that’s fair to say. WIP is just shorthand for it’s not done. I doubt anyone would think they can monetize this in any shape, way or form. It’s pretty clear that it’s just being made and released for fun. That’s what the vast majority of fan fiction is and I don’t see why this would be different.

I don’t think CoG would touch someones IP without a license. Because releasing it, even for free, would be infringing on GWs copyright and lawyers would 100% be involved. If it’s a free work posted by someone on their forum that’s fine. But actually releasing it as a company is a big no no.

To actually release a product made with someone elses IP, even if it’s free, very much infringes on copyright. And while GW has been probably selling their license for $0.01 going by the flood of awful mobile titles since not that long ago I doubt the same applies to written works as they do well by novels, or try to.

Any story about WH40K is a good story (specially if you’re not one of those mary sues called space marines) and being a woman is an interesting choice tbh because men tend to be in any and all roles in 40k but women not so (you have thousands of men made space marines but only adepta sodoritas as their counterpart), that leads me to my question @Alice-chan will be able to join one of the all-female psychic orders like the Silent Sisterhood?

That’s true, as long as it’s just fan-fiction and no one makes a penny out of it, they can’t touch it; hell I remember a site that hosted hundreds of tales made by fans, some better than others, not just about WH but about many many copyrighted works and it didn’t get an exterminatus in all of the years that is been hanging around.

3 Likes

Perhaps I misspoke.

I’m fairly certain that that’s what posting a WIP on this site implies. If not that, then this rule here, “Games cannot infringe on other people’s intellectual property; we can’t host a Harry Potter or Star Wars game.” Then again, you’d need to discuss with mods on whether or not a WIP can remain here without the intent on publishing.

That was my point. I was stating that there is no way this would ever be released on COG proper, even if it was completed.

1 Like

Hi

In terms of hosting: Quoting what dashingdon have said:

Additional things to note

And finally quoting RE Towers

The first post is not clear what the author’s end goal for this WIP would be so kindly clarify.
I would highly suggest @Alice-chan email a staff to directly ask if this is okay since they are the only one who have the final say on this matter. Good luck!

2 Likes

Well barring space marines (which makes sense), but on the womens side they are the only ones that become living saints which are arguably literal angels of the Emperor himself and the pinnacle of bad arsery unlike smurfs, I can’t think off the top of my head any roles women aren’t in. The Imperium is quite fair in that it firmly believes everyone is capable of dying equally.

Granted the Imperium is also extremely vast. To the point that many worlds don’t even have electricity and never heard of the war going on in the stars. While other worlds are closer to ours or even better baring technology. So excluding space marines it’s really on a world by world basis since the Imperium is very much not unified. You can have worlds disconnected from the Imperium for thousands of years and there are probably thousands upon thousands of such worlds.

Like Krieg had a civil war for 500 years or so and were still a part of the Imperium but not. Quite common.

6 Likes